Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ose 14

ronan mc nabb sit and sweep as a 6 tierney and harte to bomb on the wings as 5 and 7. mattie up front at 14 ronan at 11 both cavs lar na pairc. put whoever wherever but thats your spine. justy at 3 with mccrory and maybe mccarron/also like dwyane quinn clonoe. morgan in goals. conan grugan at 12 . mccurry beside mattie and mccaliskey. 10 i will leave free for a wildcard niall sludden.( i want joe to retire for greedy selfish personal omagh reasons.)

Redhand Santa

I don't think he showed enough last year in the county games to nail down a starting spot. That doesn't mean he can't push on next year and going forward to be a top player for tyrone. He has an awful lot of good qualities and plenty of class about him. He seemed to lack a we bit of sharpness at county level last year but hopefully that'll improve next year with a good winter behind him. Age is definitely on his side.

Tierney to be looks well suited to the number 5 jersey. Him and Harte could make 2 good half backs. A good holding centre half back in between would give a bit of balance. A fully fit joe McMahon could fit the role but hard to know if that'll happen. I'd like to see mattie d further up the pitch.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: ose 14 on November 17, 2014, 10:45:28 PM
ronan mc nabb sit and sweep as a 6 tierney and harte to bomb on the wings as 5 and 7. mattie up front at 14 ronan at 11 both cavs lar na pairc. put whoever wherever but thats your spine. justy at 3 with mccrory and maybe mccarron/also like dwyane quinn clonoe. morgan in goals. conan grugan at 12 . mccurry beside mattie and mccaliskey. 10 i will leave free for a wildcard niall sludden.( i want joe to retire for greedy selfish personal omagh reasons.)

Similar thoughts to myself on half back line. I was thinking more of Mcnabb as a hard working half forward. Played there a few years ago and was good at winning breaking ball which tyrone really needs. Personally I'm not convinced about grugan being a starter based on what I've seen. Drifts in and out.

Sean cavanagh has been in great scoring form of late and a return to 14 could change the tyrone attack. But would still leave the issue of who to partner colm c in midfield. I think I'd play ronan oneill in the corner but with freedom to drift out. Mattie d could play in the half forward line.

Mcaliskey would need to show big improvement from last year to get a starting spot but has youth on his side too.

winghalfback

Mc Cabe back with clonoe left donaghmore high and dry Im told, donaghmore person told me this morning they are not impressed the way he left it.

supersarsfields

Quote from: redzone on November 17, 2014, 09:48:28 PM
Quote from: ose 14 on November 17, 2014, 09:17:34 PM
firstly few things great debate by the way. from what ive seen ronan o neill has been unmarkable in both ulster games so far his play yesterday especially in the first half when double marked was frightening and his pass to barry tierney was reminiscent of canavan in his pomp we are only too quick to knock lads especially younger guys and one like ronan whos been touted as the next canavan from the age of 12. he is delivering like any kid he needs an arm up and around the shoulder not one to pull him down. (22)
with regard to the winter pitches its nothing to do with the ground its to do with football and having quality around you. ronan has benefitted from an extended run in club football so has justy joe conan and bazza. ronan excelled in last years sigerson due to an extended season with uuj and the fact that he was played at 11. i will ask the question when you play in a county team with a half back line that cant defend and a half forward line that cant create how could a player of ronans ability prosper. both those lines are vital. ronan has been poorly handled post his cruciate thrown in with no competitive football behind him. the monaghan game this year was a shambles in an attacking sense again that was ronan and soneills fault not the dearth in quality around them.
some of the comments on here regarding the lads physique are sad and disappointing and smack of cheap shots something frank mcguigan and joe kernan to name but a few have had to fend off all their lives. celebrate the lad he is putting tyrone football back on the map. ive had the pleasure of watching soneill peter and ronan and at 22 ronan is comparable with either of them and neither the two of them had to deal with a carer threatening injury at 19 years of age or do it as a student in a county set up that is on the slide.
prospective please.
well said lad.stephen oneill wasn't setting the tyrone scene alight at 22 either so def need to cut the lad some slack.your rite about the cruciate.it took Matty Donnelly a few years after the cruciate to come good.despite what a lot of posters feel im optimistic about the future for tyrone.clarke and Tierney plus oneill will be keys players for tyrone in the coming years.can grogan prosper?

Point of Order - Stephen O Neill had an All star at 22. And he was most definitely setting the Tyrone scene alight. (This is no slight against Ronan, but Stephen was an exceptional talent)

longballin

redzone

Quote from: supersarsfields on November 18, 2014, 12:06:00 PM
firstly few things great debate by the way. from what ive seen ronan o neill has been unmarkable in both ulster games so far his play yesterday especially in the first half when double marked was frightening and his pass to barry tierney was reminiscent of canavan in his pomp we are only too quick to knock lads especially younger guys and one like ronan whos been touted as the next canavan from the age of 12. he is delivering like any kid he needs an arm up and around the shoulder not one to pull him down. (22)
with regard to the winter pitches its nothing to do with the ground its to do with football and having quality around you. ronan has benefitted from an extended run in club football so has justy joe conan and bazza. ronan excelled in last years sigerson due to an extended season with uuj and the fact that he was played at 11. i will ask the question when you play in a county team with a half back line that cant defend and a half forward line that cant create how could a player of ronans ability prosper. both those lines are vital. ronan has been poorly handled post his cruciate thrown in with no competitive football behind him. the monaghan game this year was a shambles in an attacking sense again that was ronan and soneills fault not the dearth in quality around them.
some of the comments on here regarding the lads physique are sad and disappointing and smack of cheap shots something frank mcguigan and joe kernan to name but a few have had to fend off all their lives. celebrate the lad he is putting tyrone football back on the map. ive had the pleasure of watching soneill peter and ronan and at 22 ronan is comparable with either of them and neither the two of them had to deal with a carer threatening injury at 19 years of age or do it as a student in a county set up that is on the slide.
prospective please.
well said lad.stephen oneill wasn't setting the tyrone scene alight at 22 either so def need to cut the lad some slack.your rite about the cruciate.it took Matty Donnelly a few years after the cruciate to come good.despite what a lot of posters feel im optimistic about the future for tyrone.clarke and Tierney plus oneill will be keys players for tyrone in the coming years.can grogan prosper?

Point of Order - Stephen O Neill had an All star at 22. And he was most definitely setting the Tyrone scene alight. (This is no slight against Ronan, but Stephen was an exceptional talent)
yeah ure rite there sarsfieds.i was drunk at lot of the games back then,esp clones.ayway looked him up on Wikipedia and this was on it.bit strange.hopefully hes quit the drink.
Stephen's home club is Clan na Gael in Aughabrack. With the side he has won one Tyrone Junior Championship and one Tyrone Intermediate Championship.

Stephen's younger cousin Niall is one of the clubs up and coming players. Unlike Stephen, Niall is a more defensive minded player but it has been said that he has the potential to equal Stephen's playing career, if not better it. Many, including Stephen, predict Niall to lead the club out of the Junior ranks and eventually into Senior football. There is a renowned tale involving the two which has become a classic in Bohill's bar. On a Baltic January evening up in Aughabrack during a training match, Niall was attempting to mark Stephen. However anything Stephen's boot touched turned to 42 karat Gold, much to the frustration of Niall. Stephen then said to his younger relative, "Come here wee cous'" and the two walked over to the dugout at the side of the pitch. In the dugout Stephen was overheard asking Niall "Do you want to grow up and be like me? Do you want the all-stars I possess? The medals I possess?" "Of course I do Stevie, after my da Tommy you're my hero" was Niall's reply, "Well then you need to take a look at yourself, put down the bottle, give up the riding and stop slabbering about being my cousin up in Belfast. Instead put your heart and soul into this club and it'll be me telling people that i'm your cousin, it'll be me watching you on RTÉ and it'll be me wishing I could shag the women you can". Several days later Niall became Clann na nGael's club secetary. Niall has also regularly been seen on the 212 bus to Derry to attend training and meetings during the week. No-one can predict the future for this young lad but the hopes are high for the Aughabrack boy.

In hiding

Quote from: redzone on November 18, 2014, 05:56:09 PM
prospective please.

yeah ure rite there sarsfieds.i was drunk at lot of the games back then,esp clones.ayway looked him up on Wikipedia and this was on it.bit strange.hopefully hes quit the drink.
Stephen's home club is Clan na Gael in Aughabrack. With the side he has won one Tyrone Junior Championship and one Tyrone Intermediate Championship.

Stephen's younger cousin Niall is one of the clubs up and coming players. Unlike Stephen, Niall is a more defensive minded player but it has been said that he has the potential to equal Stephen's playing career, if not better it. Many, including Stephen, predict Niall to lead the club out of the Junior ranks and eventually into Senior football. There is a renowned tale involving the two which has become a classic in Bohill's bar. On a Baltic January evening up in Aughabrack during a training match, Niall was attempting to mark Stephen. However anything Stephen's boot touched turned to 42 karat Gold, much to the frustration of Niall. Stephen then said to his younger relative, "Come here wee cous'" and the two walked over to the dugout at the side of the pitch. In the dugout Stephen was overheard asking Niall "Do you want to grow up and be like me? Do you want the all-stars I possess? The medals I possess?" "Of course I do Stevie, after my da Tommy you're my hero" was Niall's reply, "Well then you need to take a look at yourself, put down the bottle, give up the riding and stop slabbering about being my cousin up in Belfast. Instead put your heart and soul into this club and it'll be me telling people that i'm your cousin, it'll be me watching you on RTÉ and it'll be me wishing I could shag the women you can". Several days later Niall became Clann na nGael's club secetary. Niall has also regularly been seen on the 212 bus to Derry to attend training and meetings during the week. No-one can predict the future for this young lad but the hopes are high for the Aughabrack boy.

Brilliant  ;D

Gaffer

Quote from: redzone on November 18, 2014, 05:56:09 PM
prospective please.

Probably one of these GAA myths which is a load of balls in reality

Anyone who knows Stevie O Neill knows he wouldn't come out with that filth talk.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

rrhf

Quote from: winghalfback on November 18, 2014, 11:59:44 AM
Mc Cabe back with clonoe left donaghmore high and dry Im told, donaghmore person told me this morning they are not impressed the way he left it.
sure ye predicted he'd also be county assistant manager not so long ago.  Miechievous trolling...

Stick er in the Onion Bag

prospective please.

Alot of sense talked here bout RON.  place for him at county level is number 11, been serious lack of class in this position since McGuigan hung up boots.  Anyone remember league game against mayo earlier this year in Omagh, RON at 11, Matty 14, McCurry in corner.  O'Neill put every ball on plate for two boys in FF line, not balls into blind corners or with them running away from goal but right on their turn towards goal, didn't have to break stride.  Think Matty got 5 pts from play in 1st half, McCurry at least a couple of goals.  Sad thing is, I don't think RON or Matty played in those positions for rest of year, maybe they didn't cover enough ground on GPS stats lol.  Was the only time Tyrone looked to have any sort of attack pattern all year.  As for making judgements on lads in FF line against Monaghan in championship that's very unfair, think even wee Pete the great one would have struggled that day such was lack of attacking plan.  I think if some of the other lads mentioned such as Tierney, Grugan etc got the same time and opportunities to establish themselves as other sacred cows have been afforded in the past then you would have good county players.  Lads can't be frozen out for 2 months then thrown into championship game and maybe hauled off again 45 min, going to get nowhere with that approach.

Max Payne

I've heard he was very honest and forthright with Donaghmore and told them that this would be the scenario. Can hardly blame a man going back to his own club.

rrhf

I've heard he was very honest and forthright with Donaghmore and told them that this would be the scenario. Can hardly blame a man going back to his own club.
[/quote]
Exactly, respect.

Knock Yer Mucker In

Disappointed to see a fellow club man spout lies about another club man. Get a life man.

Quote from: ose 14 on November 17, 2014, 10:45:28 PM

Think that PJ Lavery would be a better wing half back than Tierney if the sweeper defence was utilised proper to get max return on his pace and football ability. Harte and Lavery at WHB with a sweeper system would pose a lot of problems for opposing teams

Up The Middle

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on November 19, 2014, 01:22:42 PM

Disappointed to see a fellow club man spout lies about another club man. Get a life man.

Seriously doubt hes from Clonoe...........
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.