Champions League Final: Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur June 1st 2019 20:00

Started by Dinny Breen, May 09, 2019, 11:20:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Armamike on May 09, 2019, 05:39:15 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 09, 2019, 05:37:33 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 09, 2019, 05:17:47 PM
What luck had Liverpool along the way to the 2005 final?

Ghost goal v Chelsea. What looked like a good goal from Del Piero ruled out for offside v Juve.

Quote from: Boycey on May 09, 2019, 05:13:17 PM
If football followed logic, Barca and Ajax would be playing on June 1st?
Which is why i said maybe another unexpected twist will happen.

Teams always get a bit of luck here and there on the way to a final.

And in a final.

United did in 99, 08. Liverpool in 05, and the luck was hanging out of Chelsea in 12.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: laoislad on May 09, 2019, 05:43:28 PM

Ghost goal v Chelsea. What looked like a good goal from Del Piero ruled out for offside v Juve.

What Ghost goal? The one that was over the line? The same one that the Ref later said he would have given Liverpool a penalty and sent off Cech if it wasn't awarded.?
There was no luck involved getting to that final. Liverpool were in it and won it on merit.

One of the most famous ever ghost goals that another ref would have waved play on. Have you ignored the bit of luck v Juve in a tie that finished 2-1? nothing wrong with getting the rub of green along the way it's normally a key key ingredient for the majority of teams that wins cups competitions. 

laoislad

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 09, 2019, 05:54:27 PM

What Ghost goal? The one that was over the line? The same one that the Ref later said he would have given Liverpool a penalty and sent off Cech if it wasn't awarded.?
There was no luck involved getting to that final. Liverpool were in it and won it on merit.

One of the most famous ever ghost goals that another ref would have waved play on. Have you ignored the bit of luck v Juve in a tie that finished 2-1? nothing wrong with getting the rub of green along the way it's normally a key key ingredient for the majority of teams that wins cups competitions.
How do you know another ref would have waved play on?
The only ref that matters is the ref that was that night..and he said this.
Slovakian Michel, 40, speaks English - along with Russian, German and Polish - was in charge for the Champions League semi-final at Anfield three years ago when he judged that Luis Garcia's effort for Liverpool had crossed the line.

Mourinho dubbed it both the 'ghost goal' and 'goal from the moon' as Chelsea were beaten.

Michel, though, has since said: "If my assistant referee had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Petr Cech."
No luck involved in that game.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: laoislad on May 09, 2019, 05:58:52 PM

Slovakian Michel, 40, speaks English - along with Russian, German and Polish - was in charge for the Champions League semi-final at Anfield three years ago when he judged that Luis Garcia's effort for Liverpool had crossed the line.

Mourinho dubbed it both the 'ghost goal' and 'goal from the moon' as Chelsea were beaten.

Michel, though, has since said: "If my assistant referee had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Petr Cech."

Refs don't like saying they were wrong and will cover it up as best they can afterwards.  Anyway like you said Liverpool earned the win held a very good Chelsea team scoreless over both legs.

J70

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 09, 2019, 06:03:02 PM

Refs don't like saying they were wrong and will cover it up as best they can afterwards.  Anyway like you said Liverpool earned the win held a very good Chelsea team scoreless over both legs.

Are you suggesting the red card for Cech and a penalty would NOT have been given and warranted?

Aughafad

Quote from: Aaron Boone on May 09, 2019, 05:19:27 PM
Saw on Twitter there's a strong correlation between World Cup Golden Boot winners and their club team winning a trophy the next season. Lucky stat for Harry Kane & Tottenham.

Oleg salenko would beg to disagree

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Aughafad on May 09, 2019, 06:34:45 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on May 09, 2019, 05:19:27 PM
Saw on Twitter there's a strong correlation between World Cup Golden Boot winners and their club team winning a trophy the next season. Lucky stat for Harry Kane & Tottenham.

Oleg salenko would beg to disagree

The 1994 WC were his only career international goals

Wildweasel74

Jell 0 Biafra

While Liverpool have beaten Spurs twice in the league this season, they haven't looked like they were far too strong for Spurs in either game.  The own-goal  at Anfield was the difference, and at Wembley, Spurs had a decent shout for a penalty when Son went down, at 2-1.  Of course, ifs and buts as far as the results go, but Spurs can certainly feel they're strong enough to win, or at least draw and see what happens in a penalty shoot out.

Over the Bar

Lol!  Just listen to yerself, ye tube!! ;D ;D

Owenmoresider

Quote from: J70 on May 09, 2019, 12:05:17 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 09, 2019, 11:20:54 AM
Whoever scores the first goal, I definitely can't see the other team coming back.

Kinda happy that I will miss this as I will be on a plane. However 2 fantastic managers but the sad thing is instead of the winner been feted for winning the biggest prize in club football we can all see the loser being vilified for not having won a trophy with his current club.

Anyway Liverpool for me, the lesser of two evils but you can't beat tradition. Could be a classic, final score 4-2.

They will only be vilified by clueless idiots.

Klopp is doing extraordinary work, no matter how the final ends up.

Poch has been hamstrung by a lack of squad depth and loss of his star striker, yet still made it through to their first Champions League final, and first European final of any kind for 25 years.
35 years actually. Barely seen European competition between 1985 and 2006 at all.

While Liverpool will rightly be favourites there is a certain name on the trophy feel about Tottenham's CL run. Four times they were on the brink of elimination. A late winner v PSV, Moura's late equaliser at the Nou Camp. The VAR goal that was and the VAR goal that wasn't at City and another late Moura goal at Ajax. Sissoko will probably score the winner in the final now!

Potentially 90+ minutes away from being Champions of Europe. f**king hell.

J70

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on May 09, 2019, 08:38:04 PM
While Liverpool have beaten Spurs twice in the league this season, they haven't looked like they were far too strong for Spurs in either game.  The own-goal  at Anfield was the difference, and at Wembley, Spurs had a decent shout for a penalty when Son went down, at 2-1.  Of course, ifs and buts as far as the results go, but Spurs can certainly feel they're strong enough to win, or at least draw and see what happens in a penalty shoot out.

Liverpool were three or four goals better than Spurs at Wembley. Completely one-sided game. The late, late goal and missed penalty doesn't change that. Can't remember, but Spurs might have had a couple missing. Anfield game, Spurs were superb second half and could have won it.

50/50 game in the final.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: J70 on May 10, 2019, 11:10:13 AM

Liverpool were three or four goals better than Spurs at Wembley. Completely one-sided game. The late, late goal and missed penalty doesn't change that. Can't remember, but Spurs might have had a couple missing. Anfield game, Spurs were superb second half and could have won it.

50/50 game in the final.
Lloris was out for that one and Vorm was arguably at fault for both goals conceded. It was a deserved win though.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: J70 on May 10, 2019, 11:10:13 AM

50/50 game in the final.

Liverpool were the better team at Wembley for sure, but  Spurs were still well in the game at the end, and could have nicked a draw.  And that would be all they need to do in the CL final.  I wouldn't put it quite at 50/50, more 60/40 in Liverpool's favor, but you never know...