Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on January 12, 2022, 02:56:15 PM
Quote from: Main Street on January 12, 2022, 11:27:19 AM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on January 12, 2022, 03:25:38 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 12, 2022, 01:54:22 AM
Quote from: Main Street on January 11, 2022, 11:39:17 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 10, 2022, 11:54:10 PM
Just finished The Tourist it's bonkers but funny and somehow works.

Dornan is very good in it!!
I thought he was excellent as the Irish army sergeant in the Siege of Jadotville  but wasn't his Nordie accent just too corny and forced in the Tourist?

Is Jadotville on any streaming service?

It's on Netflix in Aus, not sure if that's the same at home
I think it's widely available on Netflix, though I have never darkened Netflix's doors. I prefer a torrent to a stream.

All technologies have a role, as long as you don't steal stuff.
Hmm, I suspect technology has stolen your life away.

quit yo jibbajabba

Succession - i think its vv gd. Like a lot of things nowadays as soon as something gets popular the hyperbole takes over. I dont think its the best thing ever but very enjoyable. Memory like a sieve so can hardly mind series 1 but each series ending has left me looking forward to the next. Some great humour, to me its like Dallas for our era. Hope this helps. Ive rambled and far from a critic

screenexile

It's one of those things not everything is for everyone.

For me and a lot of others it is brilliant. The seasons ebb and flow with slow episodes then explosive ones that really kick off and can be some of the best Tv you'll see.

The characters are all inherently flawed and narcissistic always working their own angle so there are very few if any you will like but then you're not supposed to. The writing is absolutely superb and some of the dialogue especially in the big episodes is class. Ditto for the acting!

If it's not for you fair enough but I certainly think it's worth sticking with.

quit yo jibbajabba

....and what Screen said 😊

greatpoint

Quote from: screenexile on January 12, 2022, 10:03:46 PM
It's one of those things not everything is for everyone.

For me and a lot of others it is brilliant. The seasons ebb and flow with slow episodes then explosive ones that really kick off and can be some of the best Tv you'll see.

The characters are all inherently flawed and narcissistic always working their own angle so there are very few if any you will like but then you're not supposed to. The writing is absolutely superb and some of the dialogue especially in the big episodes is class. Ditto for the acting!

If it's not for you fair enough but I certainly think it's worth sticking with.

It's overrated (as most shows that become up this popular are) and the writing has fallen in quality as the seasons have progressed. Nothing much really ever happens and if it does there are few consequences to it. No complaints about the acting though.

JimStynes

I thought succession was great but it did take a while to get into it

Saffrongael

It's good but wouldnt be close to my top 3 shows
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

screenexile

Quote from: Saffrongael on January 13, 2022, 09:05:14 AM

Don't think it would be top 3 for me either but still think it's brilliant. The Wire and Breaking Bad are up there for a lot of people but wouldn't be in my top although I did love them.

West Wing
Sopranos
GoT

lurganblue

Quote from: screenexile on January 13, 2022, 09:08:42 AM

Don't think it would be top 3 for me either but still think it's brilliant. The Wire and Breaking Bad are up there for a lot of people but wouldn't be in my top although I did love them.

West Wing
Sopranos
GoT

Speaking of the west wing the other day with the wife.  We went back and watched The Sopranos and then The Wire recently having never had the pleasure.  This would probably be next of the "older" classic shows that we missed at the time.

lurganblue

I finished "Anne" on ITV last night.  One woman's fight for justice following the Hillsborough disaster.  It's an uncomfortable watch, as you would expect.

JimStynes

No, it's nowhere near that sort of standard.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on January 13, 2022, 09:08:42 AM

West Wing
Sopranos
GoT

Never watched GOT or West Wing, watched maybe the first couple of seasons of Sopranos
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffrongael

Could never really get into the West Wing, found it a bit too earnest I think
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

nrico2006

Hard to pick a definitive top 3, loved Soprano's but would have Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones ahead of it. 

24 would be another that I found unreal.

Dexter would also be on the list but for a few weak seasons.

Black Mirror is obviously a different type of show but it is/was amazing.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'