TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: Syferus on November 11, 2012, 01:31:08 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on November 11, 2012, 12:27:11 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on November 10, 2012, 02:43:56 PM
I've noticed a few people going on about Walking Dead, can someone explain to me why they think it's good? Gave up on it as i thought it was pure dung, offers nothing that hasn't been done  to death already (& better) on film.

Watched US Inbetweeners, borderline watchable.

The best thing about the Walking Dead is that the man behind it (Frank Darabont) is very good at both building tension and delivering unexpected outcomes. I've little time for zombie shows and some of the acting and dialogue in the show are at the lowest imaginable levels. But I love the fact that main characters can and will be killed as standard.

The same man did The Mist. Most people hated this film; personally I think it's one of the best climaxes to a film ever made.

Darabont was sacked by AMC early in season 2. It was an incredibly poor show by AMC.

Ironically the show has noticeably improved under Glen Mazzara so AMC really lucked out on that front, if things had got worse there'd have been a fan-boy uprising.

There you go. I thought the whole show was a Darabont vehicle. Season 2 did much better after the mid season break too.

Billys Boots

Forbrydelsen (The Killing), season-3 starts on BBC4 next Saturday at 9pm. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Declan

Nidge and the lads in good form last night

Canalman

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 12, 2012, 08:54:01 AM

Have the recorder set for it. Didn't see season 2 but season 1 was worth a watch alright even imvho it was about 7/8 episodes too long and seriously sagged in the middle. Given the hype I was slightly disappointed with it but very watchable all the same.

Looking forward to the BBC2  series (I think) on the rise of Hitler tonight.

nrico2006

Watched the Walking Dead, was expecting more considering the hype on here.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

ballinaman

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 12, 2012, 11:51:49 AM
Watched the Walking Dead, was expecting more considering the hype on here.
There's always one!

Hardy

Now I have a problem. Zombie stuff is not my thing and I've never seen this show, but this episode is so puffed here I was planning to take a look. What am I going to do now?

Dinny Breen

I haven't seen 1 and 2 would it be worth watching 3? Have seen the US version which I enjoyed.
#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 12, 2012, 02:24:32 PM

I haven't seen 1 and 2 would it be worth watching 3? Have seen the US version which I enjoyed.

I saw the Danish versions first; couldn't watch the US version afterwards.  It (the Danish series) is truly exceptional; up there with The Wire and The Sopranos (but very different). 

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 12, 2012, 02:46:56 PM

I saw the Danish versions first; couldn't watch the US version afterwards.  It (the Danish series) is truly exceptional; up there with The Wire and The Sopranos (but very different).

So I should watch 1 and 2 first so?
#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

Well you know the story in season-1 presumably?  You don't need to see the other seasons before season-3, but it probably helps to get to know the characters. 

Kimbap

Quote from: Hardy on November 12, 2012, 12:05:25 PM
Now I have a problem. Zombie stuff is not my thing and I've never seen this show, but this episode is so puffed here I was planning to take a look. What am I going to do now?

I don't like Zombie stuff either but gave this a look because of all the hype.Watched the first season,wasn't too impressed.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 12, 2012, 03:29:43 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on November 12, 2012, 02:46:56 PM

So I should watch 1 and 2 first so?
Have seen 1 and 2 of US and 2 of Danish. Wouldn't say 1 and 2 are a pre-requisite.

Puckoon

Quote from: laoislad on November 11, 2012, 10:30:08 AM
Quote from: Celt_Man on November 10, 2012, 11:48:56 PM
Just started watching the first episode of Hell on Wheels - have the whole first season on Sky + so I'll give it a good rattle the next few days

Excellent show. Just finished season 2.

Apparently a 3rd season is not guaranteed unfortunately.

Declan

QuoteWhat did yiz think of the new love/hate episode?

Thought it was great. Enjoyed Mario's programme tonight as well