TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 23, 2012, 07:20:54 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 19, 2012, 04:06:59 PM
Breaking Bad is immense. Starts well, but gets better with each series too. So wonderfully dark. I'd put it above Sopranos, by a nose. But a bit behind the Wire.

I watched the first episode and saw no reason to watch the second.

Each to their own I suppose.

Personally think season 1 BB is as good as I have ever seen.

I didn't manage to make it past the 1st episode of Treme or the 3d of Deadwood despite the rave reviews about them.

Captain Scarlet

Quote from: ziggy90 on April 23, 2012, 04:35:07 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on April 23, 2012, 03:10:33 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on April 20, 2012, 04:50:00 PM
Friday evening shout - do not miss 'The Bridge' on BBC4 on Saturday night at 9 (I think).  You will be doing yourself a biiiig favour.

Thanks.

+1, brilliant.

hear hooky on newstalk is raving about it. great stuff. wallander is good stuff but this is a step above.
the original of 'the killing' was a scandanavian job too wasn't it.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

AFS

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on April 23, 2012, 07:26:29 AM
Did anyone ever watch Twin Peaks way back?  I didn't, but I remember the Radio 1 DJs making a big deal about it.  I just watched the first episode there today.  Might persevere with it. It's a bit slow but sufficiently weird to keep me interested. I love the haunting music.

Watched this recently. Worth a look if you're a David Lynch fan, or interested in influential TV shows (I got the feeling 'Lost' borrowed a lot from it), otherwise it's hard enough work. You become immune to the quirky stuff after a while and you just want them to hurry the f**k up and figure it all out. The ending is a load of balls. Read somewhere that Lynch came under pressure to spice up the second series mid way through and that this messed up the direction he had wanted to take things. Then a planned third series never materialised, so most things are just left unresolved.

laoislad

Started watching a new series called Awake,seems good so far.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1839683/

Though it seems everytime I get into a new series they cut it after season 1,Flash Forward,The Event and Terra Nova all cancelled.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ziggy90

Quote from: ziggy90 on December 15, 2011, 11:59:29 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on December 15, 2011, 09:28:02 AM
Anyone watching 'Braquo' - French cop-show on FX?
Me Billy, I think it's excellant. I watched that Spiral a while ago & while it was very good this is in a different league. I'm also watching Romanzo Criminale, not bad but that seventies soundtrack??

Alert...Braquo Season2 tonight on FX. Does anyone know if this is the first episode or has it been on for a while?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Billys Boots

Quote from: ziggy90 on May 06, 2012, 12:32:04 PM
Quote from: ziggy90 on December 15, 2011, 11:59:29 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on December 15, 2011, 09:28:02 AM
Anyone watching 'Braquo' - French cop-show on FX?
Me Billy, I think it's excellant. I watched that Spiral a while ago & while it was very good this is in a different league. I'm also watching Romanzo Criminale, not bad but that seventies soundtrack??

Alert...Braquo Season2 tonight on FX. Does anyone know if this is the first episode or has it been on for a while?

It's episode 2 - I think episode 1 is still on Sky-Anytime.  If you want me to update you, send me a PM ziggy.  It's as good as ever.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ziggy90

I've sent you a PM Billy. I would like the update cheers.

ziggy90

"Prisoners of War" The Israeli forerunner of Homeland starts on Sky Arts on Thursday 9.30pm. There are some seriously good music programmes on this channel. This evening at 4.55 Roy Orbison and Friends ....A Black And White Night: This is a brilliant show with Orbison backed up by amongst others Tom Waits, Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello and Jackson Browne. Later on in the week there are performances by Led Zeppelin, Johnny Cash, Genesis, Billy Joel and a host of other top musicians.

andoireabu

Looking a new show to watch. Stuck between Kings, A Game of Thrones or Dexter.  What do ye think?

Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Orangemac

Quote from: ziggy90 on May 07, 2012, 01:25:15 PM
"Prisoners of War" The Israeli forerunner of Homeland starts on Sky Arts on Thursday 9.30pm. There are some seriously good music programmes on this channel. This evening at 4.55 Roy Orbison and Friends ....A Black And White Night: This is a brilliant show with Orbison backed up by amongst others Tom Waits, Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello and Jackson Browne. Later on in the week there are performances by Led Zeppelin, Johnny Cash, Genesis, Billy Joel and a host of other top musicians.
I'm sure it has been mentioned earlier in this thread but Homeland was the best show I have saw in ages. Problem was RTE had shown it weeks before and I had to avoid conversations about it in work for weeks.

Sky Blue Gael

Quote from: andoireabu on May 08, 2012, 06:46:48 PM
Looking a new show to watch. Stuck between Kings, A Game of Thrones or Dexter.  What do ye think?

In my opinion dexter is one of the best shows out there

Orangemac

Quote from: Sky Blue Gael on May 08, 2012, 09:57:36 PM
Quote from: andoireabu on May 08, 2012, 06:46:48 PM

In my opinion dexter is one of the best shows out there
1st 2 series were shown on terrestrial tv. hasn't been shown since. I think it is series 5 or 6 now.

Milltown Row2

Spotlight showing the bookies in pubs racket, who really gives a fcuk. Undercover people following the lads doing the bets. Gambling on a Sunday and in a pub!! what's next?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Aye a load of balls, what's stopping people from betting online using your phone on a Sunday? The boss is getting some stick
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ziggysego

I came across this programme I enjoyed watching back in 2003, on 4oD.

My New Best Friend - http://www.channel4.com/programmes/my-new-best-friend/4od
Testing Accessibility