Half Parishes

Started by APM, December 09, 2018, 10:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APM

Congrats to Mullinalaghta - big day for the little guy!!

Not the first half-parish to win provincial honours.  Can you name the others?

Walter Cronc

Slaughtneil? Don't have their own parish as such but split over Glen and Granaghan.

Or have I totally misunderstood the half parish concept.

BennyCake

Parish teams is more of a south and west Ireland concept are they not? I can't think of any parish clubs. Usually it's a village or town club.

LooseCannon

Quote from: APM on December 09, 2018, 10:13:21 PM
Congrats to Mullinalaghta - big day for the little guy!!

Not the first half-parish to win provincial honours.  Can you name the others?
Walsh Island have 2. They're a third of a parish.
Gracefield.

Blowitupref

Caltra who went on to win the All Ireland i presume but they would have more of a pick than Mullinalaghta.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

LooseCannon

Quote from: Blowitupref on December 09, 2018, 10:51:17 PM
Caltra who went on to win the All Ireland i presume but they would have more of a pick than Mullinalaghta.
Permission players from Ahascaragh-Fohenagh, who were merged in 02, and potentially players from Ballymacward.
A great achievement nonetheless.

LeoMc

Quote from: Walter Cronc on December 09, 2018, 10:15:23 PM
Slaughtneil? Don't have their own parish as such but split over Glen and Granaghan.

Are they picking from 2 parishes or are there clearly defined areas within each parish?

shawshank

Quote from: LeoMc on December 10, 2018, 11:44:13 AM

Are they picking from 2 parishes or are there clearly defined areas within each parish?

Pick from two parishes, there camogs are better off, they take players from everywhere, Creggan in Co Antrim and Offaly.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: LeoMc on December 10, 2018, 11:44:13 AM

No clearly defined boundaries as such, apart from townlands and family ties. I'm no fan of them shawshank but thats a cheeky dig  ;D

shawshank

Jez Walt, that's not cheeky, its factually correct. I didn't make it up.

GalwayBayBoy

Caltra is a half parish of Ahascragh (which is all hurling). I've been there and there is very little there alright. Never been to Mullinalaghta but it sounds even smaller again.

shark

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 10, 2018, 03:12:30 PM

Caltra is a half parish of Ahascragh (which is all hurling). I've been there and there is very little there alright. Never been to Mullinalaghta but it sounds even smaller again.

It's absolutely tiny, and completely out of the way. Played there a few months ago - very picturesque grounds.

Itchy

3 clubs in the parish I'm from.

shark

Quote from: Itchy on December 10, 2018, 04:39:51 PM
3 clubs in the parish I'm from.

Parish sizes vary though - and that's one of the reasons why some counties don't use any type of parish rule. There are 4 senior football teams in the parish I'm from. But there are 25,000 people.

Orchard park

Quote from: shark on December 10, 2018, 03:42:26 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on December 10, 2018, 03:12:30 PM

It's absolutely tiny, and completely out of the way. Played there a few months ago - very picturesque grounds.

Depends where you start from... Caltra  not that far from Ballinasloe