Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Smokin Joe

This thread is why I'm fairly confident that NI will find ourselves in a good place after Brexit.  The EU have got what it's wanted in each stage of the negotiations, so if the EU saying there will be no hard border on the island of Ireland then I'd be happy enough that's where we'll end up.  The UK has shown themselves to be incapable of negotiating any concessions out of the EU, but that's because negotiating isn't easy when you have made it clear where you will end up.
https://twitter.com/f_grovewhite/status/975728826599780352

heganboy

I'm confused- I really am. This is the statement from the UK today:

"We agree on the need to include legal text detailing the 'backstop' solution for the border between Northern Ireland and Ireland in the withdrawal agreement that is acceptable to both sides," said Davis"

So there is a backstop, so there is no hard border, so there is a customs union in the north?

why is this not news?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

armaghniac

Quote from: heganboy on March 19, 2018, 05:38:56 PM
I'm confused- I really am. This is the statement from the UK today:

"We agree on the need to include legal text detailing the 'backstop' solution for the border between Northern Ireland and Ireland in the withdrawal agreement that is acceptable to both sides," said Davis"

So there is a backstop, so there is no hard border, so there is a customs union in the north?

why is this not news?

It is news. But it still only applies if there is a final deal and the British cannot be trusted.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

The Brits are running out of time.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/19/the-five-costs-of-uks-pyrrhic-brexit-victory
1. Northern Ireland

The first, and potentially most painful, climbdown has come over the border between Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic. Last month Theresa May insisted no British prime minister could possibly agree to the "backstop" proposal outlined by the EU. It sought to prevent a hard border after Brexit by keeping single market rules the same in Northern Ireland.

Now, the UK has gone back to a position it appeared to accept in December that a backstop is acceptable – so long as both sides keep working toward technological and legal alternatives that might avoid this necessity for full regulatory alignment.

Where do the Brexit negotiations stand?

Read more

Since the EU regards both proposed UK alternatives as implausible, it implies an eventual showdown with Democratic Unionists has only been postponed unless new "magic" answers can be found.

The ray of hope for Downing Street is that the UK seems to have retained the right to try to come up with an alternative backstop rather than automatically accept the toxic-looking EU version – a plan D, if you like.

"We agree on the need to include legal text detailing the 'backstop' solution for the border between Northern Ireland and Ireland in the withdrawal agreement that is acceptable to both sides," said Davis.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dougal Maguire

British made a big deal about returning to a blue passport post Brexit. Now seems that the contract to manufacture them has been won by a French company who underpriced the current UK manufacturer. You couldn't make it up.
Careful now

Rossfan

AQMP

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 22, 2018, 11:18:57 AM
British made a big deal about returning to a blue passport post Brexit. Now seems that the contract to manufacture them has been won by a French company who underpriced the current UK manufacturer. You couldn't make it up.

The Brit company is called Thomas De La Rue, so they're a bit suspect anyway.

johnnycool

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on March 22, 2018, 11:18:57 AM

It gets better,
    A Galway based company complete the bio-metric programming of the passports during the application process.

Jim Allister will have a fit.

AQMP

"The CEO of De La Rue acknowledged that his company had been beaten on price in an open competition, but he said that was unfair".

:o

The French/Dutch company that won the contract were £120mill cheaper.  Brexiters going ape shit.  Free market, anyone??

GJL

This Brexit gets crazier by the day. The Britts really ave no clue and are making it up as they go along.

The first few pages of this thread make interesting reading now....

TabClear

Quote from: AQMP on March 22, 2018, 01:50:11 PM
"The CEO of De La Rue acknowledged that his company had been beaten on price in an open competition, but he said that was unfair".

:o

The French/Dutch company that won the contract were £120mill cheaper.  Brexiters going ape shit.  Free market, anyone??

Brexit in a nutshell. A shower of entitled, whinging fcukwits without a plan who seem to believe the world owes them a living up against coherent, hardnosed negotiators who will screw them into the ground in said negotiations. But hey, at least they get to choose the colour of thier passports....

armaghniac

Quote from: deiseach on February 18, 2016, 01:59:21 PM
I'm certainly not scaremongering. There's a large part of me that wants to see Brexit, if only to see what happens. But should Britain leave it will be seen as an overwhelming mandate for border controls. When I say you would have to 'produce a passport', I don't mean like the perfunctory process you have to go through when arriving at Cherbourg or Charles de Gaulle, I mean having to go through immigration. That is the absolute minimum that the Outers will expect from their victory. And while I think it less likely that tariffs will be imposed on trade, checking every vehicle that travels between Ireland and the UK for rats migrants is going to be a ruinously expensive business. Now, it's possible that some understanding will be reached. But I think that is to underestimate the xenophobia of the Outers, a phobia that wouldn't take long to mutate into a spot of Paddy-bashing if the presence of some open borders is perceived to be a sticking point.

Actually some of the earlier posts were quite prophetic. Some posted that there would be no trade barriers, but Deiseach correctly called it that immigration would be the big issue and this would drive things. And of course we have had the Paddy bashing.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

But Paddy has 400,000,000 mates now ;)