Laochra Gael TG4 (New Series)

Started by an pĂșca, April 14, 2010, 09:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

This is a great show. The hour long version now, as someone said, makes it so much better. Really enjoyed both the Pete McGrath and Briege Corkery ones. (I think there was one before that I missed). Flynn's should be good too. The adverts seems to suggest he lost a lot of sleep over missing a very good goal chance against down in 91.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 15, 2021, 09:01:54 AM
This is a great show. The hour long version now, as someone said, makes it so much better. Really enjoyed both the Pete McGrath and Briege Corkery ones. (I think there was one before that I missed). Flynn's should be good too. The adverts seems to suggest he lost a lot of sleep over missing a very good goal chance against down in 91.

Yes it was good, like they all are
Flynns body is fucked, a culmination of all the tackles he received over the years
Tommy carr said though he was one of those forwards youd never tire of slapping
On again today at 5.30
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Jim Bob

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Jim Bob on April 20, 2021, 07:46:24 PM
Sean Cavanagh this week

Will go out on a limb and say Sean will settle some scores in this.

imtommygunn

Be interesting to see what he says on Mickey Harte.

Silver hill

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 21, 2021, 09:46:40 AM
Be interesting to see what he says on Mickey Harte.

'Gee whiz I was a great footballer, shucks, I just couldn't believe how good I was'.

Couldn't sleep because he didn't score a goal in an all Ireland final?? Give me strength...not the sharpest knife in the drawer, sometimes you're best to just keep your mouth shut.
And the lucky nags...give me strength🙄
Molly cuddled and spoilt were the adjectives that sprung to mind.
Was a handy forward though. Could take a score and had a dummy that very few didn't fall for.

clarshack

He didn't get his 4th All-Ireland in 2017 as shown on the programme so I thought there might have been more on him winning an All-Ireland with his club mates in Croke Park only 5 months after the Dublin defeat. All they showed was a clip from the Gaeltacht semi-final and nothing from the final in which I think he scored 0-5 and which would have been his last time playing in Croke Park.

An Watcher

Don't know what it is about the fella but I'll never look at him in the same way as a canavan, oneill or dooher.

Angelo

Quote from: An Watcher on April 24, 2021, 01:27:37 PM
Don't know what it is about the fella but I'll never look at him in the same way as a canavan, oneill or dooher.

He was every bit an important footballer as any of those. One of the top 5 players in the country in terms of influence in the past 30 years, carried an ailing Tyrone teams on his back from 09-13. I did feel quite sorry for him in the early part of his career as he was definitely blackguarded and cynically targeted in the early. He was more than capable of minding his own corner at the end of his career and that's probably why he was so successful.

But he's a very hard person to warm to on a personal level I find, as much as someone can gauge from his TV and media stuff anyway. If he was chocolate he'd eat himself. I thought it was interesting that the only past Tyrone player who featured on the show was his brother. I get the feeling that he would not be too well regarded on a personal level by a lot of his his former teammates, Philly Jordan a former teammate who won 3 AIs with him gave him a very public dressing down a few years back about some of his quite petty comments on Harte.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Rich Ricci

No doubt Sean Cavanagh was a fine player Angelo but I think putting him in top 5 of the last 30 years is stretching it somewhat.

bannside

TBH he can't be far away. Definitely the main man for last six or eight years, shouldn't be too much debate about that.

bannside

Cue for someone to say he wasn't even the best in the Moy. All about personal opinions I suppose.

Angelo

Quote from: Rich Ricci on April 24, 2021, 06:45:45 PM
No doubt Sean Cavanagh was a fine player Angelo but I think putting him in top 5 of the last 30 years is stretching it somewhat.

In terms of influence he has to be there.

5 all-stars, 1 FOTY and a key player on the 3 All Ireland's Tyrone won. Name me five more influential players in the past 30 years. He has to be up there.

Rich Ricci

Quote from: Angelo on April 24, 2021, 08:28:09 PM

5 all-stars, 1 FOTY and a key player on the 3 All Ireland's Tyrone won. Name me five more influential players in the past 30 years. He has to be up there.

That's fair enough and more people will probably agree with you than me (they might actually lol at some of my suggestions) but it is purely subjective. The only reason I'm saying is that it's a bit of stretch is the fact it's over the 30 years. If it was purely over the last 15-20 then aye fair enough no doubt he's in the argument.

In terms of what they have done for their respective teams I would go. In no particular order.

Cluxton
Canavan
Giles
Tomas O'Se
Michael Murphy
Brian Fenton

Angelo

Quote from: Rich Ricci on April 24, 2021, 09:22:09 PM
Quote from: Angelo on April 24, 2021, 08:28:09 PM

That's fair enough and more people will probably agree with you than me (they might actually lol at some of my suggestions) but it is purely subjective. The only reason I'm saying is that it's a bit of stretch is the fact it's over the 30 years. If it was purely over the last 15-20 then aye fair enough no doubt he's in the argument.

In terms of what they have done for their respective teams I would go. In no particular order.

Cluxton
Canavan
Giles
Tomas O'Se
Michael Murphy
Brian Fenton

I'd only put Canavan and Murphy as more important to their teams than Cavanagh was to Tyrone there.

O'Se, Fenton and Cluxton were all great players in their own right but Kerry and Dublin would have won their All Irelands they did without them - certainly from 13-21 in Dublin's case.

Giles was a key component in a very good Meath team but I think Cavanagh was a better footballer than him and achieved more.