Mayo v Down - March 11th

Started by Mayo4Sam, March 08, 2012, 01:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcarrier

QuoteIts Peter Stringer/Robbie Keane syndrome transferred into gaelic football I think.

Never knew it was syndrome but great observation.

Heard a few of the older Down lads at the end of their tether. Just hasn't been happening for them.

moysider

Isn t it a bit harsh lumping Peter Stringer in with Robbie Keane? I d never have put those 2 together.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on March 09, 2012, 03:58:47 PM
Quote from: sans pessimism on March 08, 2012, 07:53:06 PM
Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on March 08, 2012, 05:51:55 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on March 08, 2012, 04:09:00 PM
I cant understand everyones rush to get conor mortimer off the mayo team. hes been our most consistent forwrard for the last ten years and one of the best free takers in the country .  A legend surely Deserving of repect nbot peole looking for a quiet jalf from him in order to drop him..
can it really be  that some people Still cant get past the bleached hair?

Its Peter Stringer/Robbie Keane syndrome transferred into gaelic football I think. Fellas that have been around so long that you take all the positive things they do for granted and focus on their weaknesses too much. It's only when they're gone that it is realised what they did so well in the first place, and then they're missed. Until such time as there is someone out there who offers more from open play than Mort and can kick frees with as high a success rate on the right hand side as he can, he should be in the team.

For me, the one out of the older guard in the forwards who should be most at risk based on form is Dillon, but I just cannot see Horan dropping him. He is not a centre half forward and the likes of McLoughlin and Freeman are doing more than him in the wing half forward positions at the moment. I'm struggling to think when Dillon last had an outstanding game for Mayo - I'd say its been a year or two.
cillian o connor. I rest my case(also Cil's work rate is 300% higher....doesn't get pushed
off the ball at the first nudge .......shines in Croke Park.......'nough said)

Cillian's a right footer though, grand for frees on the left and in the middle but he wouldn't be as accurate as Mort is on those tricky ones he makes look so easy on the right hand side of the pitch. Which is part of the reason why, until I see other corner forward options that are clearly better, I would start Mort and O'Connor at 13 and 15 either side of Andy Moran and have the pick of Varley, Doherty and Kirby to come on and pick off tired defences in the last 20 if either of them are having an off day.

Don't get me wrong, Mort is far from undroppable and when we have two corner forwards that are clearly proven to be better then him he shouldn't start, but as yet nobody has ousted him from his starting spot in my view.

That said, this Sunday would be as good a time as any to look at the alternatives and I think either Doherty or Kirby are due a run in the full forward line to see how theyre shaping up this year. Presumably we'll go easy on the 21s this weekend though as they have a big game Wednesday night - so it may be Doherty's turn to start against Down.

IMO, you're pretty much on the ball there, Cosmo.
It baffles me why many Mayo fans are so quick to give Conoreen his P45.
It's not as if Mayo was awash with accomplished forwards at the moment, is it?
He is trying to make a comeback after a long layoff and I liked what I saw of him last Saturday. Sure, he was rusty and not up to the speed of play but so what?
He scored one sublime point when he showed all of his old ball control skill and confidence are still there.
A wet night in early March is an unreliable guide to form in the summer months.
Andy Moran was also making his comeback and, like Mort, was way off the pace but nobody is seriously suggesting that Moran is past it.
So why be so quick to write Mort's football obituary? Like Moran, he will be faster and sharper when the championships begin.

Now, I am being deadly serious here:
How many quality forwards have appeared on the scene since the break up of the fine 2006 side?
In my very humble opinion, there hasn't been a single one!
Sure, there are lots of lads with undoubted talent but no of them come within an ass's roar of being a playmaker—a man who will dig deep when the pressure is on and lead by example.
Fact is, we have none.
Andy and Alan and Conoreen are the marquee forwards and we are going to need each and every one of them in top mental and physical condition if we are serious about going anywhere.
Cillian is a fine young player and the same can be said for any amount of others but while some of them may develop into leaders for the future, we got to concern ourselves with the present.
Right now, I wouldn't look beyond Sunday. Down are not coming to make up numbers and I'd imagine they see us as one of the more likely ones to cough up the points.
I'll wait until the league is well and truly over with whatever it means for us before I'd start worrying about the line-up for the Connacht championship and that's for sure.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

sans pessimism

Quote from: rosnarun on March 09, 2012, 03:53:11 PM
im not having a go at cillian but i dont think he has the basic bodyshape of a footballer . many great ones don't and plenty of shapers do that come to naught, Just that he need to be careful and maybe his slow start to the year might mean the Mayo management are thinking along similar line.it would be a major blow to lose to Down a team going backwards and looked very poor last week . not looking for a big win just a win
wow...you give your youngest(and best)forward a break after 4 years playing at the highest level and some guy thinks
the management are droppin him....jeeez
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Syferus

Cillian O'Connor is better than Andy Moran? Gimme whatever you're smoking because it has to be some damn fine stuff.

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on March 09, 2012, 06:06:12 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 09, 2012, 04:26:16 AM
I think Cillian O'Connor has a great head on his shoulders but he was no where near as impressive as people made out last year, he was able to accurately take frees and I suppose with Mayo's previous problems in that area it reflected very positively on him. He was a solid but completely unspectacular presence from play. It'll be another couple years yet before any team is particularly worried about facing Cillian O'Connor. I'd certainly rate Conor Mort higher than him at this moment.

v Kerry, in Croke Park, in an All-Ireland semi-final.

Not bad for a completely unspectacular presence from play.

I was there that day. We had Kevin Higgins, he of White Men Can't Jump fame, hoof in a goal against ye a few weeks ago that was ten times more spectacular. One goal doesn't make a player great or even good from play. O'Connor is a great little prospect but he's not someone any team will be bothered about facing, apart from keeping backs honest from frees.

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on March 10, 2012, 12:08:54 AM
I think Cillian O'Connor has a great head on his shoulders but he was no where near as impressive as people made out last year, he was able to accurately take frees and I suppose with Mayo's previous problems in that area it reflected very positively on him. He was a solid but completely unspectacular presence from play. It'll be another couple years yet before any team is particularly worried about facing Cillian O'Connor. I'd certainly rate Conor Mort higher than him at this moment.

We had Kevin Higgins, he of 'White Men Can't Jump' fame, hoof in a goal against ye a few weeks ago that was ten times more spectacular. One goal doesn't make a player great or even good from play. O'Connor is a great little prospect but he's not someone any team will be bothered about facing, apart from keeping backs honest from frees.

You called him a 'completely unspectacular presence from play'. Anyone that saw him in every Mayo game last year in each game would disagree. The pass to Dillon against Cork was exquisite, he only started taking frees after the fiasco against Galway in the Connacht semi and he immediately solved the problem. And of course there is the goal above in an All-Ireland Semi-Final. Ye have mighty high standards in Roscommon.

As for the bit in bold, I have a feeling I will be posting that many times in the next few years.

MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on March 10, 2012, 12:26:59 AM
Quote from: Syferus on March 10, 2012, 12:08:54 AM

We had Kevin Higgins, he of 'White Men Can't Jump' fame, hoof in a goal against ye a few weeks ago that was ten times more spectacular. One goal doesn't make a player great or even good from play. O'Connor is a great little prospect but he's not someone any team will be bothered about facing, apart from keeping backs honest from frees.

You called him a 'completely unspectacular presence from play'. Anyone that saw him in every Mayo game last year in each game would disagree. The pass to Dillon against Cork was exquisite, he only started taking frees after the fiasco against Galway in the Connacht semi and he immediately solved the problem. And of course there is the goal above in an All-Ireland Semi-Final. Ye have mighty high standards in Roscommon.

As for the bit in bold, I have a feeling I will be posting that many times in the next few years.

You're taking it all wrong - he could well develop into a very good player but right now he's over-hyped for what he is on the field. He's only 20, give the lad a chance before you bet the house on him.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: snoopdog on March 09, 2012, 04:52:46 PM
We wont bother showing up so. after all we havent a hope. someone contact HQ and announce a walkover to Mayo.
After all they are leap years ahead of Down, sure their All Ireland medal tally suggests that.
Very confident for a team that never achieves anything bar the odd hiding in an All Ireland final.

What the f**k does the all Ireland tally have to do with anything? It shows ye had five years where ye were the best in the country and we had three, nothing else.
Stupid comments like this are only feeding lurkers like that clown Benny Sweeney

Anyway, on form, and that's all there is to go on, down have lost their best player from this time last year and mayo so far look a better, more settled team than last February. Down have lost two and mayo have won two. Mayo are at home. If I was a betting man, and I am, I'd back mayo but any complacency and we'll lose. I'd still expect down to stay on in div one as I think donegal and Laois are the bottom two teams. That said Donegal beat cork last weekend and I had cork backed to cover the 3 point spread, so what do I know
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on March 10, 2012, 12:30:48 AM
You're taking it all wrong - he could well develop into a very good player but right now he's over-hyped for what he is on the field. He's only 20, give the lad a chance before you bet the house on him.

You are rubbishing him based on 4 games. Then you are asking us to give the lad a chance while saying he is a 'completely unspectacular presence from play' and 'he's not someone any team will be bothered about facing'.

He is the reason we beat you last year in the Connacht Final. He played very well from play against the All-Ireland Champions in the quarter Final and his goal (temporarily) dragged us back into it against Kerry in the All-Ireland semi. He is Connacht's 3rd YPOTY after Keith Higgins and Michael Donnellan.

No one is betting any houses, we are simply recognizing a serious debut season from a teenager and we hoping that he raises the bar again this season. You Roscommon lads mightn't rate him but I would suggest other counties will be keeping a close eye on him from play.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on March 10, 2012, 12:45:59 AM

You are rubbishing him based on 4 games. Then you are asking us to give the lad a chance while saying he is a 'completely unspectacular presence from play' and 'he's not someone any team will be bothered about facing'.

He is the reason we beat you last year in the Connacht Final. He played very well from play against the All-Ireland Champions in the quarter Final and his goal (temporarily) dragged us back into it against Kerry in the All-Ireland semi. He is Connacht's 3rd YPOTY after Keith Higgins and Michael Donnellan.

No one is betting any houses, we are simply recognizing a serious debut season from a teenager and we hoping that he raises the bar again this season. You Roscommon lads mightn't rate him but I would suggest other counties will be keeping a close eye on him from play.

What the hell?

He had a great season for a 19 year old senior rookie but in the context of the team and of senior standard he was nothing eye-seering. Moran, Dillion and Mort are all better players than him and I'd probably put him at the same level as Freeman at this point. I've said already his best attribute was his clear head and ability to handle the pressure of taking frees. I don't see how that's rubbishing him.

Keane said he won the YPOY almost by default  because there wasn't much competition and to a degree that's correct - the year before Donie Shine played far better overall but was over-looked for Aidan Walsh, another player who is being hyped up too much. The PYOY is, like all GAA awards, too weighted towards a player's given county making the semi-final or final of the All-Ireland.

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on March 10, 2012, 12:52:25 AM

What the hell?

He had a great season for a 19 year old senior rookie but in the context of the team and of senior standard he was nothing eye-seering. I've said already his best attribute was his clear head and ability to handle the pressure of taking frees.

Keane said he won the YPOY almost by default  because there wasn't much competition and to a degree that's correct - the year before Donie Shine played far better overall but was over-looked for Aidan Walsh, another player who is being hyped up too much. The PYOY is, like all GAA awards, too weighted towards a player's given county making the semi-final or final of the All-Ireland.

This is ridiculous and all too typical of Ireland. You seek out players to knock, then when something likes awards are used as evidence against you then knock the awards. You ignore the goal being played above in an All-Ireland semifinal ridiculously comparing it to a goal scored in the winter in the FBD league by a Rossie that nobody saw. You then rubbish Aidan Walsh's superb All-Ireland Final performance again suggesting a Rossie, naturally, deserved the award. Aidan Walsh was a shoo-in for YPOTY in 2010 to anyone with an objective viewpoint.

If it weren't for O'Connor we would not have been in the semi-final, we would have lost the Connacht Final. That is why we were in the latter stages. Walsh was a principal reason that Cork won the All-Ireland Final in 2010. It is precisely because of their efforts in getting their teams to the latter stages or indeed winning the final, that they won the awards.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

Quote from: muppet on March 10, 2012, 01:07:52 AM

What the hell?

He had a great season for a 19 year old senior rookie but in the context of the team and of senior standard he was nothing eye-seering. I've said already his best attribute was his clear head and ability to handle the pressure of taking frees.

This is ridiculous and all too typical of Ireland. You seek out players to knock, then when something likes awards are used as evidence against you then knock the awards. You ignore the goal being played above in an All-Ireland semifinal ridiculously comparing it to a goal scored in the winter in the FBD league by a Rossie that nobody saw. You then rubbish Aidan Walsh's superb All-Ireland Final performance again suggesting a Rossie, naturally, deserved the award. Aidan Walsh was a shoo-in for YPOTY in 2010 to anyone with an objective viewpoint.

If it weren't for O'Connor we would not have been in the semi-final, we would have lost the Connacht Final. That is why we were in the latter stages. Walsh was a principal reason that Cork won the All-Ireland Final in 2010. It is precisely because of their efforts in getting their teams to the latter stages or indeed winning the final, that they won the awards.

It has very little to do with Shine - Walsh mostly only became a serious presence in games after they rotated Nicolas Murphy in, invariably in second halves - Murphy was so good and game changing in his appearances that season I'd go as far as to say he was a borderline All-Star - when Murphy could boss the midfield and give Walsh space and ball to operate with. It's alot easier to look good on a team that was as loaded with quality players at the right age as that 2010 Cork team than it was to be given bad ball and tight angles and turn them into great points and frees like Donie did that year. Donie was more important to us winning Connacht in 2010 than O'Connor was to winning it in 2011. I wouldn't subscribe to Walsh being 'superb' in the final either.

Donie Shine, too, has been over-hyped. You're taking me saying players are being over-hyped as if that means they're bad players or they lack potential, that's completely not the case. It's just that I see a general disconnect from the perception of O'Connor and his actual performances.

muppet

Quote from: Syferus on March 10, 2012, 01:14:26 AM
Quote from: muppet on March 10, 2012, 01:07:52 AM

What the hell?

It has very little to do with Shine - Walsh mostly only became a serious presence in games after they rotated Nicolas Murphy in, invariably in second halves - Murphy was so good and game changing in his appearances that season I'd go as far as to say he was a borderline All-Star - when Murphy could boss the midfield and give Walsh space and ball to operate with. It's alot easier to look good on a team that was as loaded with quality players at the right age as that 2010 Cork team than it was to be given bad ball and tight angles and turn them into great points and frees like Donie did that year. Donie was more important to us winning Connacht in 2010 than O'Connor was to winning it in 2011. I wouldn't subscribe to Walsh being 'superb' in the final either.

Donie Shine, too, has been over-hyped. You're taking me saying players are being over-hyped as if that means they're bad players or they lack potential, that's completely not the case. It's just that I see a general disconnect from the perception of O'Connor and his actual performances.

What are you talking about? Walsh won the award mainly because of his fielding, especially in the Final. How did Murphy help him with that?

Now you are saying Shine is over-hyped.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D You are the only one talking about him on this thread and you were the one suggesting he was overlooked for YPOTY.

Do you have anything positive to say about any footballer?

MWWSI 2017

muppet

From MayoGaa on Facebook:

The Mayo Senior Football Team to face Down this Sunday 11th March at 2.30p.m. in Round 4 of the Allianz Football League is as follows:

1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
2. Kevin Keane - Westport
3. Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
5. Richie Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
6. Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
7. Lee Keegan - Westport
8. Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
9. Barry Moran - Castlebar Mitchels
10. Alan Dillon - Ballintubber
11. Alan Freeman - Aghamore
12. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole