Kilkenny county board and football

Started by Jinxy, February 29, 2012, 10:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: johnneycool on March 09, 2012, 01:50:36 PM
Quote from: mannix on March 09, 2012, 12:46:40 PM
Hurling is developing very fast at underage level in mayo, and the county team never go out and not try their best even if they are not sucessful. They try a lot harder than thekilkenny footballers and thats the reason people are annoyed at Kilkenny.

I think you need to differentiate between how players treat the weaker sport in a county to the way a county board treats that sport.

AFAIK Kilkenny as a county hasn't got a football only area whereas a lot of football dominated counties would have a pocket of hurling clubs, like Tyrone, Mayo, Armagh, Down etc who keep the game going sometimes inspite of their county boards actions.

Kilkenny county board by their actions look to only pay lip service to football, but that can be said on the flip side for a good few other counties.

Doesn't make it right though.

Armagh county board have been putting a lot of resources into hurling and they're reaping a reward, their U-21's, minors etc are probably better than Down and Derry at the minute with Middletown getting to an AI intermediate final only last month.

Mayo hasn't got a hurling area per sé either johnney. True underage hurling is available in some places, and the towns have a nice underage hurling structure, i.e Westport, Ballina and Castlebar, but it's not confined to one particular area.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 09, 2012, 08:58:06 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on March 09, 2012, 01:50:36 PM
Quote from: mannix on March 09, 2012, 12:46:40 PM
Hurling is developing very fast at underage level in mayo, and the county team never go out and not try their best even if they are not sucessful. They try a lot harder than thekilkenny footballers and thats the reason people are annoyed at Kilkenny.

I think you need to differentiate between how players treat the weaker sport in a county to the way a county board treats that sport.

AFAIK Kilkenny as a county hasn't got a football only area whereas a lot of football dominated counties would have a pocket of hurling clubs, like Tyrone, Mayo, Armagh, Down etc who keep the game going sometimes inspite of their county boards actions.

Kilkenny county board by their actions look to only pay lip service to football, but that can be said on the flip side for a good few other counties.

Doesn't make it right though.

Armagh county board have been putting a lot of resources into hurling and they're reaping a reward, their U-21's, minors etc are probably better than Down and Derry at the minute with Middletown getting to an AI intermediate final only last month.

Mayo hasn't got a hurling area per sé either johnney. True underage hurling is available in some places, and the towns have a nice underage hurling structure, i.e Westport, Ballina and Castlebar, but it's not confined to one particular area.

Not true, honestly. Toreen and Ballyhaunis are hurling strongholds and it's taken root relatively locally in Carracastle too.

muppet

Quote from: grattans on March 09, 2012, 09:22:52 AM
Anyone else feed up of the annual attack on Kilkenny football, sure the treatment and standard of football is a disgrace, but where are all the raised voices about the treatment of hurling in those strong fotballing counties, Tyrone, Mayo, Donegal, Meath, Kerry, I could go on. So one County down plays football, get real tackle the real shame which is the treament of Hurling by so many strong Gaa counties.  Get of Kilkennys back and see the reral problem

While you have a point regarding the County Boards, it is an insult to Mayo hurling to compare it to Kilkenny football. Also Mayo hurlers were frequently promoted only to be demoted by restructuring. The issue here is hurlings treatment of hurling. There is an elite set of hurling counties and .........the rest.
MWWSI 2017

Blowitupref

HT Div 4 NFL Limerick 1-15 Kilkenny 0-0 FT 1-30 to 0-1.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Aaron Boone

I'm sure said before, but there's just too much of a gap between Kilkenny & the other Div 4 football counties. That same gap isn't in hurling as enough counties can be structured together.

However 50 point beatings at young buck level??.....why not 20 point beatings...15 or 10? That's the bit that riles.

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on March 10, 2012, 02:36:00 AM
Anyone else feed up of the annual attack on Kilkenny football, sure the treatment and standard of football is a disgrace, but where are all the raised voices about the treatment of hurling in those strong fotballing counties, Tyrone, Mayo, Donegal, Meath, Kerry, I could go on. So one County down plays football, get real tackle the real shame which is the treament of Hurling by so many strong Gaa counties.  Get of Kilkennys back and see the reral problem

While you have a point regarding the County Boards, it is an insult to Mayo hurling to compare it to Kilkenny football. Also Mayo hurlers were frequently promoted only to be demoted by restructuring. The issue here is hurlings treatment of hurling. There is an elite set of hurling counties and .........the rest.

?i,
.i think the main issue is the supply of decent farmland. Plus the national tendency towards mediocrity.

Dublin , muppet. Were they elite the year before last

mannix

Well done to Kilkenny on the scoring of a point,  they surely have to be team if the Weak.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: fitzroyalty on March 09, 2012, 06:05:52 PM
Are there any Kilkenny clubs that are football only? I'm assuming not.
Railyard is the only football only club in Kilkenny. They're in Moneeenroe.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

johnneycool

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 11, 2012, 07:51:09 PM
Quote from: Heshs Umpire on March 11, 2012, 04:10:51 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on March 09, 2012, 06:05:52 PM
Are there any Kilkenny clubs that are football only? I'm assuming not.
Railyard is the only football only club in Kilkenny. They're in Moneeenroe.
Railyard is most prominent one, but I think there's another two as well.

Do they play league football in Kilkenny soley or in a neighbouring county?

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on March 10, 2012, 10:43:19 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 10, 2012, 02:36:00 AM

?i,
.i think the main issue is the supply of decent farmland. Plus the national tendency towards mediocrity.

Dublin , muppet. Were they elite the year before last

No but they were in the past.

My comment was directed at the crazy comparison of Mayo hurling and Kilkenny football.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Joe Henry was a Mayo hurler who played on the connacht railway cup hurling teams of the 80s.
I doubt KK had anyone on the Leinster fuball team.

Blowitupref

Leitrim 4-25 Kilkenny 0-3 with a minute to go..
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Dinny Breen

Kildare 7-30 to  Armagh 0-07 - NHL  :-X
#newbridgeornowhere

AFS

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 25, 2012, 05:15:55 PM
Kildare 7-30 to  Armagh 0-07 - NHL  :-X

Armagh 1-20 to Roscommon 1-14
Armagh 0-21 to Mayo 1-11

How many games have the Kilkenny footballers won this year?

Syferus

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 25, 2012, 03:58:50 PM
Leitrim 4-25 Kilkenny 0-3 with a minute to go..

Well, it is an improvement on.. err.. no points scored last year.  ;)