Kilkenny county board and football

Started by Jinxy, February 29, 2012, 10:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Rubbish and why any football person would buy in, let alone repeat, such nonsense is beyond me.

AZOffaly

seafoid

Quote from: mannix on March 07, 2012, 01:08:24 PM
hurling is miles more skilled, football is becoming more like basketball and with a few skilled lads able to score any bunch of athletes could give the best teams a game.

Say what you like about basketball but at least they hit the target every few minutes.

Zulu

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 07, 2012, 03:43:06 PM
Probably to wind up lads like you :D

Ah no AZ, that just wouldn't be me!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Dinny Breen

Not a word about the Kilkenny u/21's lining out for Laois last night?
#newbridgeornowhere

grattans

Anyone else feed up of the annual attack on Kilkenny football, sure the treatment and standard of football is a disgrace, but where are all the raised voices about the treatment of hurling in those strong fotballing counties, Tyrone, Mayo, Donegal, Meath, Kerry, I could go on. So one County down plays football, get real tackle the real shame which is the treament of Hurling by so many strong Gaa counties.  Get of Kilkennys back and see the reral problem

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: grattans on March 09, 2012, 09:22:52 AM
Anyone else feed up of the annual attack on Kilkenny football, sure the treatment and standard of football is a disgrace, but where are all the raised voices about the treatment of hurling in those strong fotballing counties, Tyrone, Mayo, Donegal, Meath, Kerry, I could go on. So one County down plays football, get real tackle the real shame which is the treament of Hurling by so many strong Gaa counties.  Get of Kilkennys back and see the reral problem

Whatever about your other examples, Kerry are extremely competitive in hurling, they won the Christy Ring last year. The rest of your post is whataboutery.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

imtommygunn

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 09, 2012, 10:10:02 AM

Whatever about your other examples, Kerry are extremely competitive in hurling, they won the Christy Ring last year. The rest of your post is whataboutery.

To be fair he's not far wrong. I know at the very least the treatment of hurling in derry is shameful. I'm sure it goes on plenty elsewhere too.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 09, 2012, 10:11:50 AM

To be fair he's not far wrong. I know at the very least the treatment of hurling in derry is shameful. I'm sure it goes on plenty elsewhere too.

Yeah, but why bring Derry and the likes into a discussion on Kilkenny football? That's another ill that deserves its own thread.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

mannix

Hurling is developing very fast at underage level in mayo, and the county team never go out and not try their best even if they are not sucessful. They try a lot harder than thekilkenny footballers and thats the reason people are annoyed at Kilkenny.

johnneycool

Quote from: mannix on March 09, 2012, 12:46:40 PM
Hurling is developing very fast at underage level in mayo, and the county team never go out and not try their best even if they are not sucessful. They try a lot harder than thekilkenny footballers and thats the reason people are annoyed at Kilkenny.

I think you need to differentiate between how players treat the weaker sport in a county to the way a county board treats that sport.

AFAIK Kilkenny as a county hasn't got a football only area whereas a lot of football dominated counties would have a pocket of hurling clubs, like Tyrone, Mayo, Armagh, Down etc who keep the game going sometimes inspite of their county boards actions.

Kilkenny county board by their actions look to only pay lip service to football, but that can be said on the flip side for a good few other counties.

Doesn't make it right though.

Armagh county board have been putting a lot of resources into hurling and they're reaping a reward, their U-21's, minors etc are probably better than Down and Derry at the minute with Middletown getting to an AI intermediate final only last month.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 09, 2012, 10:33:41 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 09, 2012, 10:11:50 AM

Yeah, but why bring Derry and the likes into a discussion on Kilkenny football? That's another ill that deserves its own thread.

Why not? I think it's a fair enough point that there are a number of counties pay lip service to hurling and Kilkenny do the same with football yet people only seem to pay any attention to Kilkenny's attitude to football and not the other counties on hurling.

The reality probably is that in a lot of places there is a lack of interest in the football in KK.  I'm sure they could do better. It would be interesting to know if their county board had people on it who favoured football. Basically I wonder if they have a county board with all hurling men then who's going to take on the job of promoting the football.

There is plenty of interest in the likes of Derry to hurling.

fitzroyalty

Are there any Kilkenny clubs that are football only? I'm assuming not.

I'm also assuming that every other county has a few hurling clubs with at least one that is hurling only?

Jinxy

Tell us more about the treatment of hurling in Meath.
If you were any use you'd be playing.