Leinster Senior Football Championship 2017

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 18, 2016, 01:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

les Antiques

What I am hearing is that things are not going well at all at the moment . Training has changed but there is a distinct lack of professionalism to the set up and lot of players are just going through the motions which is disappointing to hear.

Tony

Quote from: Keyser Söze on April 19, 2017, 10:41:30 PM
Quote from: Tony on April 19, 2017, 06:00:08 PM
It takes more than a few months to get proper fit, you absolute donkeys.

What are you basing this on?
The more you post here the more obvious it is that you know absolutely NOTHING about team preparation, management responsibilities, management function and a whole host of other things that are intrinsic to preparation and performance.

Laois are training since last November (I assume?).
You have seen more of Laois than I have this year. It is who claim they are not fit enough. What excuse is there for this? His own backroom team, county board support and the new pitches beside O' Moore Park.

Watch the "donkey" talk. You don't seem particularly knowledgeable in the area you are trying to hold court in.
What you're doing is just copying what others have posted and taking that as fact. "Oh they've upped the training in April so that means they weren't training properly before that". That is false. For Laois to make a right go of this season, we'd need to have a very good base fitness coming into the season. That was not present. Do you think Dublin, Mayo or Donegal lads or the top 8-12 counties came into December as unfit as our lads? Course not. It's just the culture in smaller unsuccessful counties. Not the players fault but to blame Creedon exposes your ignorance on the topic. Fitness = cardio, strength and conditioning. These can be improved in a few months but it takes YEARS to build up the levels that the top 8 - 12 teams in the country have. We're way off that required level but it seems that your only answer for that is Creedon. My opinion is that some posters are not looking at the whole picture and basing their opinion on a few posts on a forum.

Giovanni

As a matter of interest, how many years do you think it takes to achieve inter-county fitness levels?

Keyser Söze

Tony, are you Peter Creedon or a member of the committee that appointed him?

When he was appointed we were being told by posters on here that he was here to save the day.
It just about stopped short of "he knows everything- long live Peter".

Now the excuses have rolled since.
1) Players out injured
2) We are not good enough anyways
3) Players being stupid and getting sent off (and again....and again)
4) Division 4 is about our level anyways
5) They are not fit because of the last two managers.
6) Leave him alone, you're so mean to Peter. I like Peter. Peter is lovely.

As a matter of interest what championship games did we lose last year because the other team were fitter than us?
We didn't look any less fit than Armagh for example last July. (peak season for both Armagh and Laois). So if McGeeney is as thorough in his preparations and particularly in terms of fitness as we think he is, and we didn't look any less fit than Armagh last July.......it sounds like our fitness side of things weren't exactly disastrous last year.
Creedon wasn't coming in to Fat Club or to try and coach the Underdogs to play Kerry.

Quote from: Tony on April 20, 2017, 07:56:40 AM
What you're doing is just copying what others have posted and taking that as fact. "Oh they've upped the training in April so that means they weren't training properly before that". That is false.
I think you will find that you are the only poster that I referenced in my post- and your assertion that Laois are not fit enough. Unless of course you are saying that what you posted is "false"?

Fitness = cardio, strength and conditioning. These can be improved in a few months but it takes YEARS to build up the levels that the top 8 - 12 teams in the country have. We're way off that required level but it seems that your only answer for that is Creedon.

2 things.
1) I think you will find that I used the term "preparation" and not the term "fitness".There is a whole lot more to this than "fitness".
2) Why are you talking about the top 8-12 teams in the country? All we had to do was be as "fit" and well prepared as teams 20 & 21- in this years league Offaly and Longford- hardly powerhouses. Along with Louth, Antrim and Sligo they didn't exactly kick until late August in 2016. They haven't exactly been renowned for their incredible fitness levels for the past 3 years. What fantastic base did Colin Kelly have to work with in Louth? Or Pat Flanagan in Offaly?
NOBODY is asking for Laois to suddenly be as "fit" and well prepared as the top 8-12 teams. Stop deflecting.

but it seems that your only answer for that is Creedon.

Wrong, again. I have never stated that the only problem is Creedon. BUT the failings of this management team are at some stage going to have to be accepted for what they are.
How long more can everything be the fault of TOF and ML?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Tony

Let's forget about Creedon for now.

The players aren't there. Simple as. We were exposed in the league as we've no strength in depth especially with the injuries. The seagulls in the sky could see that. Could you not see it? As you say I guess, you were hardly at any matches.

And yeah I was one of those delighted that Creedon got the job last autumn. But with this league and the last 10 seasons of poor performances : I finally realised: you know what, the players are not there in Laois at the moment and everyone knows we weren't helped with injuries. Division 3 is about our standard. When will you realise that too Keyser? Took me a while I must admit. And we don't have any beanos or joe higgins or tom kellys coming through can't you see that also? Creedon is irrelevant. He's doing the same job as the next man would. We are just not good and Jim Gavin wouldn't have us much better.

Still, on a positive note: I genuinely believe that even if your players have the ability of an average Junior B side, if they're trying their best, it's always a joy to support them win or lose. We'll likely just have to get used to the latter in the next 5 years anyway. Quite a lot of it I'd say.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Tony on April 20, 2017, 08:57:43 PM
Let's forget about Creedon for now.

The players aren't there. Simple as. We were exposed in the league as we've no strength in depth especially with the injuries. The seagulls in the sky could see that. Could you not see it? As you say I guess, you were hardly at any matches.

And yeah I was one of those delighted that Creedon got the job last autumn. But with this league and the last 10 seasons of poor performances : I finally realised: you know what, the players are not there in Laois at the moment and everyone knows we weren't helped with injuries. Division 3 is about our standard. When will you realise that too Keyser? Took me a while I must admit. And we don't have any beanos or joe higgins or tom kellys coming through can't you see that also? Creedon is irrelevant. He's doing the same job as the next man would. We are just not good and Jim Gavin wouldn't have us much better.

Still, on a positive note: I genuinely believe that even if your players have the ability of an average Junior B side, if they're trying their best, it's always a joy to support them win or lose. We'll likely just have to get used to the latter in the next 5 years anyway. Quite a lot of it I'd say.

You just don't get it.
I give up.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

ILikeStrawberryJam

Depressing  if thats true about the players going thru the motions.

No matter what the level of ability in the squad the least they deserve is a  professional setup.

Very disappointing to hear . . .

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: ILikeStrawberryJam on April 20, 2017, 10:47:34 PM
Depressing  if thats true about the players going thru the motions.

No matter what the level of ability in the squad the least they deserve is a  professional setup.

Very disappointing to hear . . .

Don't believe all you hear.....
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Tony

Hearsay is annoying.

The players DID NOT say "We're going through the motions".

You heard that quote interpretation from a poster who was talking to someone who knew a lad who knew a player once.

Take that quote with a pinch of salt.

town1980

keyser soze some great points i think you are showing up tony here,,his lack of gaa knowledge def comming to the fore

blueandwhite1

This forum has become so ridiculously puerile. Really miss the Laoistalk forum which had editorial control to put managers on people.

redsetanta

Unfortunately the forum cannot be self moderated but I would agree with you some of the posts are getting very childish which takes from decent discussion on the subject.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

OTF

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on April 21, 2017, 10:55:18 AM
This forum has become so ridiculously puerile. Really miss the Laoistalk forum which had editorial control to put managers on people.

Ye, Hogan Standish

High Fielder

Lads can't accept we're not good enough - at all levels. We do things particularly badly in Laois and we are where we are because of it. Whose precise fault it is remains unclear. I personally think everyone should shoulder some of the blame - even supporters, who have shown that they don't care. Maybe Peter Creedon is no good. I don't know enough about his methods to say that with certainty. I do know our players fairly well, and I don't think they are good enough. I don't think some of them are anywhere near county standard, and are only there because others don't fancy it. As for going through the motions, you'd wonder at any lad who commits time to a county panel and then swans about. Going back to Tullamore, I walked away thinking that a lad who did no training could be as effective as some of them who played. That's nothing to do with training. That's a lack of effort. Time to face the undeniable facts. Nobody wants to coach a very ordinary panel of footballers in a county where so many lads (be they on the panel or otherwise) don't put in the required effort. And, because nobody wants to coach a panel of ordinary footballers in a county where nobody gives a shite any more, you can't expect too much.

We are a patchwork quilt of a football team just now. So many lads out of position and so many lads not good enough. To me, they are beyond criticism. I can see the problems with my own two eyes. Young James Kelly and Strong got run over the entire league, targeted and passed on countless occasions. They are not corner backs. Hanrahan, Kehoe, Seale and Healy are. Problems that can't be fixed by Creedon. Square pegs in round holes.Not our only problem, but certainly one of our biggest. Creedon might be a problem, and again I can't say that with certainty, but he has what he has, and in my opinion he hasn't got what he should have, and what he does have, is not good enough.

BallyroanAbu

I don't think we are Div 1 team, but we certainly have the players to be mid table Div 2.  This is the sort of bollox talk of crap management in any business, or team.   I am not saying we would beat Kerry but we certainly have the players to beat Offaly, Antrim or Sligo.  It's childish that we pointed out the manager was a joke even before he started, but it is not childish to in the face of bare faced logic stand behind this farce.