All-Ireland Football Qualifiers 2016

Started by Tony, June 07, 2016, 10:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Quote from: Tony on June 21, 2016, 10:31:38 AM
There should be a rule that trumps all other rules in the book, and that's called "THE COMMON SENSE RULE".
I'm sorry, but that makes no sense whatsoever, would void all other rules and cause chaos.

If Laois broke the rules, they deserve their punishment.

High Fielder

And what is the punishment? Do you know?

This is an opportunity for us to give a bit back to the GAA. They have treated us like shit all year. If there is no exact rule to cover this, and I mean exact, we should tell them where to go. We can't be patsies for them all the time

south Laois

Jack Nolan on Twitter says a replay has been offered but Armagh have no appetite for it.

Giovanni

The choice of punishment seems to be fairly clear (according to reports) - it's either a fine, a replay or being thrown out of the competition. That decision is down to the GAA. I went looking for the rules on this myself online and I couldn't find anything that looked comprehensive or clear.

Anyway, if these are the choices of punishment, then a fine would seem to be the obviously fair one given that the infringement happened in the last minute of injury time and the said substitute had no more involvement in the game than the Maor Uisce (or the 4th official for that matter).

At the same time though, I really cannot get my head around the idea that the officials have no responsibility for overseeing the rules regarding substitutions. The fact of the matter is they have such responsibility because no sub can come on without permission. If they're given permission, then it must be OK. If they're refused permission, then there is some infraction of the rules. It's truly bizarre to say that the officials are not responsible for these particular rules.

Tony

I wouldn't listen to jack Nolans sources to be fair. His sources also told him that we were going to announce a top class background team at the start of the year.

Tony

Quote from: Don Draper on June 21, 2016, 10:47:14 AM
There should be a rule that trumps all other rules in the book, and that's called "THE COMMON SENSE RULE".
I'm sorry, but that makes no sense whatsoever, would void all other rules and cause chaos.

What I meant, ed, was that the rules should be followed, up until the interpretation is unclear or rule ambiguous,  in which case, common sense rule is king.

Giovanni

Maybe this is where Jack Nolan's source is:

http://www.the42.ie/laois-armagh-gaa-substitues-2835586-Jun2016/#comments

Take a look at the comments on this article. One of them in particular seems to agree with High Fielder's view that the rules are not in fact clear on the issue at all.......... If that is really so, then it would be a joke for Laois to be punished for it.

Don Draper

Quote from: Tony on June 21, 2016, 11:37:54 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 21, 2016, 10:47:14 AM

What I meant, ed, was that the rules should be followed, up until the interpretation is unclear or rule ambiguous,  in which case, common sense rule is king.
Sorry tony,  but I am not ed.

Frank Murphy would drive a truck through your common sense rule. It makes no sense.

Unlaoised

I hear the GAA have sussed out Armagh and their feelings on the three outcomes...If whats believed to be true and that Armagh are not interested in takin Laois's place or a replay then I expect the third outcome a heavy fine and a slap on the wrist and we move on!
LAOIS ABÚ

High Fielder

Quote from: Giovanni on June 21, 2016, 11:47:05 AM
Maybe this is where Jack Nolan's source is:

http://www.the42.ie/laois-armagh-gaa-substitues-2835586-Jun2016/#comments

Take a look at the comments on this article. One of them in particular seems to agree with High Fielder's view that the rules are not in fact clear on the issue at all.......... If that is really so, then it would be a joke for Laois to be punished for it.

And an even bigger joke if we take punishment for a rule that doesn't exist. Time for the CB to stand tall

From the Terrace

CB stand tall there a joke, going around patting each other on the back. The sooner our cb is ran the better, i know this going off issue but i really think they dont work hard enough with our clubs. On 7 subs a fine and move on my best guess aswell.

Tony

To be honest I'll believe it when I hear it. I would be VERY surprised if Armagh turned down the opportunity to replay Laois. Maybe I'm being pessimistic but that doesn't sound right to me.

If it is, serious fair play to Armagh but as I say we'll have to wait for the official word.

Joeythelips

Well lets see if the GAA will clear the issue up, don't hold your breath folks. Whatever the outcome we should have an official statement to clear up any ambiguities lie this in the future, fair enough Laois have to get some slap on the wrist as they broke the rules but in my book the 4th official is the person responsible for overseeing this, very poor all round. If its true that Laois were unsure if they could use the sub and asked to 4th official and he allowed it then he is the one responsible. Again either way the GAA need to come out and clarify the situation. Armagh have been very poor all year and would be surprised if they wanted to go again, the players looked like they were glad to have put this season to bed after the game.

High Fielder

If the shoe was on the other foot, I doubt Armagh would lie down and have their belly ticked by the GAA. There is no clear rule there. For once, members of the CB need to park their personal ambitions and stand up for their county. You can't be punished if a rule doesn't exist/ And it doesn't.

Keyser Söze

http://www.gaa.ie/mm//Document/TheGAA/RulesandRegulations/12/66/56/2016OfficialGuide-Part2_English.pdf

Rule 2.4 (i) Page 8

The one thing in Laois' favour is that there is no clear punishment outlined. Is there precedence?

The GAA being the GAA, I would imagine they would have sounded out Armagh first before offering a replay. I cannot imagine they would go through with the process of offering a replay and Armagh turning it down and all the farcical reporting that would come with a scenario like that.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......