Previous topic - Next topic

weareros

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 04, 2023, 10:47:38 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 04, 2023, 06:38:52 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 04, 2023, 05:49:38 PM
Quote from: whitey on April 04, 2023, 04:58:55 PM
This has all the makings of an ambush

Rossies have nothing to lose

Are you joking me? They have a championship game to lose just like Mayo. They have something to lose.  A statement like that is unwittingly disrespectful to Roscommon football as if they are only there to make up the numbers. They are a Division One side (on Merit).
As a Division 1 team, they have already qualified for the Sam Maguire so they don't have anything to lose if they choose to ambush Mayo.

What have Mayo to lose, that Roscommon don't have to lose? I'm a bit confused here.

Whoever wins will be delighted and whoever loses knows they are a third seed in the group stages. As far as I can see, the loser on Sunday could still end up in the same group as the Connacht winner - and have more recovery time for any injuries to clear up. The toll of the Connacht draw of Mayo, Ros, and Galway on one side of the draw will do no favours to Sunday's winner. But traditional rivalries will not even care about that. It will be win at all costs, as it should be.

Piskin

larryin89

Quote from: seafoid on April 04, 2023, 11:11:02 AM
Roscommon love taking the neighbours down a peg especially when it is felt they may have a case of notions.
And they win around one in 5 titles so they are pretty good at it.

I suppose what's seldom is wonderful, 91 , 2001 and 2019 , have I left any out over the last 30 odd years ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: larryin89 on April 05, 2023, 09:43:56 AM
Roscommon love taking the neighbours down a peg especially when it is felt they may have a case of notions.

I suppose what's seldom is wonderful, 91 , 2001 and 2019 , have I left any out over the last 30 odd years ?
2010 and 2017 anyway off the top of my head.

seafoid

Quote from: weareros on April 04, 2023, 11:17:50 PM

Are you joking me? They have a championship game to lose just like Mayo. They have something to lose.  A statement like that is unwittingly disrespectful to Roscommon football as if they are only there to make up the numbers. They are a Division One side (on Merit).
As a Division 1 team, they have already qualified for the Sam Maguire so they don't have anything to lose if they choose to ambush Mayo.

What have Mayo to lose, that Roscommon don't have to lose? I'm a bit confused here.

Whoever wins will be delighted and whoever loses knows they are a third seed in the group stages. As far as I can see, the loser on Sunday could still end up in the same group as the Connacht winner - and have more recovery time for any injuries to clear up. The toll of the Connacht draw of Mayo, Ros, and Galway on one side of the draw will do no favours to Sunday's winner. But traditional rivalries will not even care about that. It will be win at all costs, as it should be.
I don't think being third seed is a big deal. Second seeds in Munster and Leinster are not going to be anything special.The 3 Connacht teams are probably in the top 8 anyway so  that should come out in the wash.

larryin89

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 05, 2023, 10:01:54 AM

That honour belongs to Sligo &longford in 2010 and Galway & Kerry in 2017

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: larryin89 on April 05, 2023, 10:32:49 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 05, 2023, 10:01:54 AM

That honour belongs to Sligo &longford in 2010 and Galway & Kerry in 2017
My bad, thought it was Connacht titles in discussion! Rossies don't beat Mayo often at all for sure, better record against ourselves.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/04/05/sean-moran-questions-the-gaa-will-hope-are-answered-in-the-months-ahead/

Will Mayo ultimately be glad that they won the league? The answer to that remains to emerge but next Sunday's outcome will have a major bearing. The strong signals from the county are that the momentum of winning outweighs the benefit of a better spaced schedule.

seafoid

See above. Apparently momentum is the currency in Mayo

larryin89

Yeah I think it's clear from Rochfords rally call to supporters to turn up and make noise Sunday that it's route one they've chosen to go for . Of course that has a chance of failing a good chance with both ros and Galway to go to battle with but like I say I think it's clear as day management will be going full steam ahead Sunday . Ros will have their own aspirations though and will see this as a great opportunity of beating our bucks , you'd have to be concerned with the recovery time from a mayo perspective .

Personally think Galway will retain Nestor anyway tbh . A slightly better team than both Mayo and Ros are imho . Further down the road into their peak as an elite side .

whitey

Will you wind your horns in like a good fella

It was far from intended as being disrespectful....quite the opposite

Just look at the betting odds

rosnarun

Quote from: seafoid on April 05, 2023, 10:47:19 AM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/2023/04/05/sean-moran-questions-the-gaa-will-hope-are-answered-in-the-months-ahead/

Will Mayo ultimately be glad that they won the league? The answer to that remains to emerge but next Sunday's outcome will have a major bearing. The strong signals from the county are that the momentum of winning outweighs the benefit of a better spaced schedule.

yes because the league is a national Title and worthy of winning in its own right .
mayo are always favourites playing roscommon anyway so it didnt change anything.
The disrespect H have shown to the league by starting the championship a week later is no something mayo can do anything about
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Blowitupref

Quote from: rosnarun on April 05, 2023, 03:25:30 PM

yes because the league is a national Title and worthy of winning in its own right .
mayo are always favourites playing roscommon anyway so it didnt change anything.
The disrespect H have shown to the league by starting the championship a week later is no something mayo can do anything about

Even in the late 70s or 1980?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

larryin89

Quote from: Blowitupref on April 05, 2023, 03:52:53 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on April 05, 2023, 03:25:30 PM

I doubt they were favs in the 70s or early 80s but from the start of new mayo era from 88/89 onwards to this day yes , mayo have dominated this fixture .

Even in the late 70s or 1980?