Maigh Eo v Ros Comáin 25-5-19

Started by Farrandeelin, May 12, 2019, 09:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ball Hopper

Did anyone else see the double hop before Andy Moran took a pass and kicked a point? 

rosnarun

Quote from: Ball Hopper on May 29, 2019, 02:26:58 PM
Did anyone else see the double hop before Andy Moran took a pass and kicked a point? 
Seeing as were being pedantic
did any one see the rossies acting like scumbags just before half time .
though of course Gough not a clue what to do booked 2  from either side , at least 3 ros players should have walked
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Manning18

Yep I spotted it at the time. Roscommon could certainly have had grievances had they not got the result.

David Gough once again likes to be the star of the show. He's being praised now (as was his intention), for letting the game flow. Every other referee would've given the majority of those instances as fouls. Yet Gough thinks hes 'ahead of the game', and lets it go. Either Gough is right and every other ref needs to be retrained or Gough is wrong. He cant just rewrite the rules. With hilarious irony, he is completely picky on all the little things, like very slight contact off the ball, handpasses, steps, stuff that gets him attention, and then is completely unpicky when people are clashing and fouls on the man in possession.

RossieBull

Quote from: rosnarun on May 29, 2019, 02:46:54 PM
though of course Gough not a clue what to do booked 2  from either side , at least 3 ros players should have walked

Scumbags 🤣🤣🤣

When has a Ros player being sent off for a disgusting elbow into the face or a punch into the balls?

kerryforsam19

+1 Colm Boyle got a dunt to the back of the head.

MayoBuck

Quote from: RossieBull on May 29, 2019, 04:11:40 PM

Scumbags 🤣🤣🤣

When has a Ros player being sent off for a disgusting elbow into the face or a punch into the balls?

Fintan cregg on Diarmuid O'Connor in the 2017 quarter final?

Rossfan

Ye don't like it when ye're stood up to eh? ;)
NO STEP BACK!!!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maroon Manc

Rossies have not had enough credit for their performance in the last 15 minutes including injury time, they had to go out and win it after going a point and a man down. I've heard that Roscommon are in better physical shape under Cunningham, is that true or has he just picked a few more stronger men than McStay did?

I don't like Gough, too many frees given for nothing; As for Saturday night, Cox's last free looked dubious enough.

Halfquarter

Darragh Ó Sé: Reaction to Mayo's defeat by Roscommon has been way over the top 

Donegal and Roscommon are improving but they're not real contenders 

But I'd be surprised if Mayo weren't still standing after Donegal and Roscommon have fallen away.

Darragh Ó Sé
about 11 hours ago

It was a good weekend for the teams at the level just below the top of the football championship.
I'd say it's fairly clear at this stage that Dublin are out on their own, with Tyrone, Kerry and Mayo (yes, still!) next in line. After that, you're looking at the teams who'll make it to the Super 8s but probably not a lot further – Donegal and Roscommon are in this group and they both had really impressive wins away from home.
There was a moment in Donegal's win over Fermanagh in Enniskillen that I found interesting. It was shortly after half-time and the game was still tight – I think there was only a point in it. Michael Murphy took a shot at goal for Donegal but he skied it under pressure and as the ball was in the air, you'd imagine Rory Gallagher was happy enough with life.
This is what you want from your team when you set up a blanket defence. You want to make life as uncomfortable as possible for the other team's best player so he has to resort to taking on a bad shot out of desperation. Fermanagh had everybody back and had forced this mistake.
The problem for them came as the ball fell to earth. For all the bodies Fermanagh had in the area, nobody made it their business to get under the dropping ball. There were three defenders and the goalkeeper all in the vicinity and they stood looking at it like ducks in thunder. When the ball landed, all four of them were inside the big square, with no Donegal player in alongside them and still they stood and stared.
No Fermanagh player was taking it upon himself to go and deal with it, none of them looked like they had a sense of what to do. It was as if they were stuck to the ground, as if all notions of defending had left them.

Defenders are supposed to sniff danger, to anticipate, to expect the worst and react accordingly. None of the Fermanagh players did this and they allowed Patrick McBrearty – who wasn't even in the square when the ball bounced – to nip in and punch a point.
To me, it showed the difference between a team that has got so regimented in its system and one that has moved on to the next level for a good few years at this stage.
The blanket defence will always be associated with Donegal but they don't stick to it rigidly the way Fermanagh do because they have bigger ambitions than just keeping things tight. Plus, they have players like McBrearty who can sense an opportunity.
Slick outfit
It showed too there's still a place in the game for the high ball into the square. Now obviously, this wasn't a planned move but the principle still stands.
When you launch one in there, the defence has to deal with it. You're asking them the question and if you can get fellas in there competing for it with honesty and ferocity, the answer isn't straightforward. Fermanagh had all the sweepers and all the bodies in the world back there but once they had to actually do more than just cover off space and watch for runners, they were in trouble.
Donegal are a slick outfit and they'll give Tyrone plenty of it on Saturday week. I'd still like to see Michael Murphy spend less of his time so far out the field but Declan Bonner obviously likes having him there just for his sheer presence. I can see where he's coming from – that's where the majority of the game is fought out so having your main man out where he can influence the game is understandable. But he's so good in front of goal too.
The Rossies have good players, fit and strong and hardy and they're in their fourth Connacht final in a row
The thing that struck me about Donegal and Roscommon – and about Mayo too, for all the giving out about them since Saturday – was that the basic skills of catching and kicking and punch passing were mostly on the money. That's what puts them a cut above the likes of Fermanagh, just those nitty-gritty things that keep the ball alive and on the move. Very few passes behind a fella's back, very few overhit balls dribbling out over the endline. What they make look simple is not so simple for the teams below them.
Donegal are a slick outfit and they'll give Tyrone plenty of it in the Ulster semi-final on Saturday week. Photograph: Tommy Dickson/Inpho 
Roscommon put themselves in the right position to take advantage of Mayo's shooting troubles on Saturday night. It was no massive shock they were able to do so – you can tell watching them this is a team who had been in and out of Division One football for a number of years.
I don't care if you're constantly being relegated and yo-yoing between Division One and Two, the fact they've spent plenty of time playing against the top teams and players means they know what it takes to live with them.
Cavan didn't beat Monaghan by accident either – those players have experience of looking the big teams between the eyes. Fair enough, they've taken a few beatings and got relegated again. But that's all experience. No point going through it if you don't use it down the line.
The Rossies have good players, fit and strong and hardy and they're in their fourth Connacht final in a row. They have that bit of craft and they have that bit of resilience. They always seem to take to a wet day as well, which isn't something you can say about all teams. I would fully expect to see them in the Super 8s, along with Donegal.

And despite all the doom and gloom, I would have no real doubt Mayo will be there as well. As ever, people tend to get carried away when Mayo are concerned. To me, the reaction to them getting beaten on Saturday night has been way over the top.
Silly goal
They lost by a point to a top-eight team in a game where they kicked 17 wides and gave away a silly goal from a kick-out. It's a bad result but it's no disaster either. Look at who they'll have back by the time they get to the qualifiers – Donie Vaughan, Cillian O'Connor, Seamie O'Shea and Fionn McDonagh. Does anyone really think they can't fix their shooting and start building momentum through the qualifiers? Of course they can.
That wasn't a difficult free but the Mayo players made it harder than it seemed because there was no obvious leadership around the ball 
The couple of things that would worry me from a Mayo point of view are (a) the fact Andy Moran is starting to look his age, and (b) the dithering over the free at the end. Moran still has that knack of being able to get possession in tight spots and to make a good ball out of a bad one.
But unless Mayo are able to get runners around him straight away now, he looks like getting bottled up. Defenders know his game a long time at this stage and they can tell where he wants to go. So if he doesn't have a quick option, the Mayo attack slows down. That's no use to them and they need to decide what his role is going to be.
Andy Moran: Starting to show his age and unless Mayo are able to get runners around him straight away now, he looks like getting bottled up.
You can tell it's frustrating for him. His black card was his own fault, caught in possession just that little bit slower than he'd like to be and grabbing out to trip the Roscommon player. I always think it's a tell-tale sign when a player who has never been known for indiscipline throughout his career starts getting on the wrong side of the referee. He knows the story.
That black card had consequences, as it meant he wasn't on the field to take control of the situation at the end. That wasn't a difficult free but the Mayo players made it harder than it seemed because there was no obvious leadership around the ball. Diarmuid O'Connor would have thought he was doing the right thing by telling Kevin McLoughlin it was his free but he misjudged the situation. He thought he needed a left-footed kicker when really what he needed was a leader.
Put it this way. I was watching Kieran Donaghy doing the TV broadcast of the game. Now, nobody – Donaghy included – would be making big claims about his kicking abilities and in his whole Kerry career I'd be surprised if he ever kicked a single free. But I'd have had no hesitation handing him that free on Saturday night. And he'd have been over in a flash looking for it.
Just at that moment on Saturday night, Mayo froze on the pitch when they couldn't afford to. But that's out of character for them so you can be fairly sure it won't happen again. And any team can have a bad day shooting so you'd imagine they'll patch that up as well.
All in all, it was a good weekend of Donegal and Roscommon but I'd be surprised if Mayo weren't still standing after those two have fallen away.

From the Bunker

The present Mayo era reminds me of the 96-99 team. Broken from their AI failures and ended up with a League title in 2001 as their swan song. Everybody though we were still the business when we won that league title that year. It was like we finally came of age when really we were seeing most of our players were reaching old age.

There is a huge fad at the moment called being ''a Mayo supporter''. It is phenomenal the support that the Mayo team get. I've seen Women and Men who would have had no interest in sport nevermind Gaelic football travel the length and breath if the country. The gas thing is most of these 'Fad' followers don't follow other games. Mayo is the only interest, and for many years they have been entertained even if the Holy Grail has not been achieved. The maddest of all recent attendance was all the Mayo people that turned up in New York for the most one sided game one could attend. This like all games is sold as ''a journey'' by the fans. The super 8's were specifically put in place to give Mayo (and Dublin) more high profile games in the Summer. An easy way for the GAA to make extra money.

The pedestal that our player are held on is a double edged sword. Through thick and thin they encourage their team on and often see then over the line. On the other hand you get the now over adulation of player like Andy Moran.   

We have had a group that spoiled us initially with easy Connacht titles and All Ireland finals. A team that were consistently good. A team that banished many of the stereotypes. During this Consistently decent era, we grew used to (what was) success (to us).  As we begin to fall from our lofty perch, we find it hard to realise that Galway and Roscommon could be now better than us, that our new recruits cannot live up to the standards the ones before set, that many of our above average stalwarts are now old and battle weary, that this team is no longer the team of September 2017 when we lost by a point to Dublin, that we might never be in that sort of place again.

larryin89

It's not even two years ago though and both Ros and Galway have a lot to prove yet FFS neither have even contested a final yet
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

giveballaghback

So Ros are scumbags, and this from the same people  ie rhubarbs who were gloating about bullying Kerry gasuns in the league, I saw the 2017 quarter final mentioned there, Leeroy is such a nice fellow, Boyler got a schelp well imagine that, as Elmer Fudd said "it aint no fun when the wabbitt gets the gun"  ;D

larryin89

I certainly wouldn't label them scumbags , an awful name to put on anyone unless they've done something terrible in life .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Halfquarter

Quote from: larryin89 on May 29, 2019, 07:16:54 PM
I certainly wouldn't label them scumbags , an awful name to put on anyone unless they've done something terrible in life .

I don't think he called them scumbags , he said that they were " acting like scumbags " , there is a big difference.

giveballaghback

Sure ye are experts on scumbags over there in rhubarb land.