Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Midfield is weak, just not enough experience. Dropping Caoimhin presumably because of the system being employed, a huge mistake IMO. The most impressive forward prospect we've had in years, playing well, taken off inexplicably against Donegal, isolated and frustrated against Wicklow and now dropped. This is how we lose players.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on June 23, 2018, 11:12:11 AM
Midfield is weak, just not enough experience. Dropping Caoimhin presumably because of the system being employed, a huge mistake IMO. The most impressive forward prospect we've had in years, playing well, taken off inexplicably against Donegal, isolated and frustrated against Wicklow and now dropped. This is how we lose players.

Agreed

At 3-1 Down are a great bet for this game. A lot of people saying Clarke has been poor this year. I believe that is totally wrong as he's been pretty much on his own in midfield. I think we could really struggle if down push up in our kick out, especially if galligan isn't in goals.

Westside

That was awful, horrendous stuff. I would blame no Cavan player for dropping off the panel for having to be sent out to play like that.

McGleenan needs to go.

Hard to see us beating any provincial finalist. Especially with the 2 reds. But they should not paper over any cracks here, even with a full hand we deserved a defeat today. It would have at least given no credence to the way we played.

Itchy

On way home. Have to say our line has no clue and only for cormac Reilly we'd be out. Manager is a bluffer.

redzone

Mattie on the radio after was buzzing. Cavan players prob never had that sort of positivety in their lives before

Aaron Boone

Stop being so negative after a win.

Duckquay

Absolutely horrendous stuff.

Itchy

Quote from: Aaron Boone on June 23, 2018, 08:28:10 PM
Stop being so negative after a win.

Lad the win was a pure fluke. If I was from down I'd be sick. 2 black cards in a minute. Harrison was furious for his so I can guess it wasn't deserved and McKiernan got one for complaining to linesman. Johnston red was for a bit of handbags with moynagh. Then for me Down had a few stone wall frees in last few mins waved away that would have drawn the match. We were saved by a fluke goal.

Our "tactics"  from Mattie the bluffer was to play 14 behind the ball. But no one knew what they were at. All day we got 4 turnovers the whole match-pathetic stuff. Our counters were pedestrian and we had only 1 forward. It was like watching a poor junior team implement blanket defence for the 1st time. We are going no where and today was a stay of execution.

Targetman

Down man here, I didn't really give us much chance before the game but as the second half wore on I thought we would win this one then our keeper drops a clanger!! Thought the ref gave us feck all, didn't see what Johnston did to get sent off but good luck in the next round, a big improvement required!!

SHEEDY

as a Down man i'm gutted we lost. thought we deserved at least a draw and extra time. everything seemed to go against us from black cards to red cards to injuries to key players and to the keepers mistake for the goal. any cavan fan that was there would know yous would need to improve big time to go much further. thought yous would have beat us handy but there wasn't much between the teams and on another night......
nil satis nisi optimum

Itchy

Quote from: SHEEDY on June 23, 2018, 10:42:21 PM
as a Down man i'm gutted we lost. thought we deserved at least a draw and extra time. everything seemed to go against us from black cards to red cards to injuries to key players and to the keepers mistake for the goal. any cavan fan that was there would know yous would need to improve big time to go much further. thought yous would have beat us handy but there wasn't much between the teams and on another night......

Wouldn't disagree. Mattie is a lucky manager. But God we were set up so stupidly today it was almost funny

Smurfy123

2 shite teams with 1 bad manager and a decent one
McGleenan = 3/4 club championship
Burns = Darragh cross relagated and more

banker

I didn't expect us to get within 6 points of Cavan today. I would be very concerened if I was a Cavan supporter as this is a very poor Down side. Down controlled today's game and should of had Cavan out of sight after 15 minutes in the 2nd half.

A mixture of poor decisions by the referee/officials and the Down players cost them today.

Connaire Harrison definitely deserved his black card. Pulled the Cavan defender by the ankle when he wasn't anywhere near the play and McKernan should be experienced enough to know not to be abusive towards an official.

Ryan Johnston did not deserve his red card. Was a bit of shoving to the chest between Ryan and the Cavan player where the Cavan player decided to take a dive and held his face.

Probably the end of Eamon Burns tenure as Down manager which has been poor but the problem lays deeper than the senior management team.

Mattie McGleenans tactics today were terrible and played right into Down's hands.

Westside

Having had time to reflect, my mind hasn't changed much on this. The only way this game can be justified is if Mattie is trying to get over the hump of the first couple of qualifiers by any means necessary but plans to up the energy levels and revert to a fast counter attacking game as the games progress. I'm not confident that's the case...

This sort of game is doing damage to the Cavan team. The players understandably won't have any desire to return if this is what is ahead of them in Division 1 next year. The players we so desperately need to return to the panel understandably will have no desire to do so if this is what is ahead of them. It's suppressing the talents and development of the players.

There is no long term future in this style of play, merely a short term fix to get some results. It's not worth the cost. The Cavan County Board (preferably) or the players themselves (not ideal) need to step up here and say no more.

Itchy

Pretty much the worst draw we could have got. They are better than us and we are mentally brittle when it comes to Tyrone. Normally you would think Mattie being a Tyrone man might have some inside knowledge but I think we all know that there is nothing good there. All will be forgiven if we could somehow win this one but for me it is more likely a 10 point plus beating. Cavan should push for Brewster for this if they have that option open. They will be wiped out in Clones.