Kerry v Mayo, February 11, Austin Stack Park, Tralee

Started by IolarCoisCuain, February 07, 2017, 08:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on February 11, 2017, 10:58:04 PM

A pleasant surprise. A massive win against the head away from home.

For most of the first half we looked like we were going to get killed, and we might have been if Kerry were not knocked off their stride by injuries. The response in the second half was very heartening however.
I think tonight showed that we cannot afford the luxury of keeping Andy Moran as an impact sub. I'm struggling to remember any Mayo full-forward playing as well as he did tonight. He's well fit for a full game as well. Start him every time I would. If he had not started tonight we would not have won, simple as.
If Parsons got the straight red, like I think he did, we are going to be scraping for midfielder for the next game. However I thought Nally did well when he came on. Vaughan however seems to have lost a yard of pace and is struggling.
Eoin O Donoghue looked interested and aggressive when he came on too.
Anyway, good 2 points to get.

Oh, he better fûcking start the next game.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on February 11, 2017, 11:18:32 PM

For most of the first half we looked like we were going to get killed, and we might have been if Kerry were not knocked off their stride by injuries. The response in the second half was very heartening however.
I think tonight showed that we cannot afford the luxury of keeping Andy Moran as an impact sub. I'm struggling to remember any Mayo full-forward playing as well as he did tonight. He's well fit for a full game as well. Start him every time I would. If he had not started tonight we would not have won, simple as.
If Parsons got the straight red, like I think he did, we are going to be scraping for midfielder for the next game. However I thought Nally did well when he came on. Vaughan however seems to have lost a yard of pace and is struggling.

On reflection, we might be able to rest him for next game.

moysider

Quote from: Avondhu star on February 11, 2017, 11:05:51 PM
Good win for Mayo. Kerry looked strong last week against Donegal but to allow Mayo back into the game tonight will raise a few eyebrows. Clarke pulled off a few good saves again which will raise the question of what was all that shite about goalkeepers that went on last year

That shite about goalkeepers will be talked around Mayo as long as football is played in the county.

I think Mayo played their way into the game tonight after sleep walking into the game at the start. Other teams will not be as sympathetic if we continue to start like that.

Farrandeelin

Just watched the deferred game there. Thought Parsons was unlucky to get a straight red to be honest, however I'm not the linesman who saw what was happening. Nice to get the 2 points. Andy was class, won nearly every ball played into him. Nice to get the 2 points. Up Mayo.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on February 11, 2017, 11:18:32 PM

Downpour own sake, you'd want to hope he's rested. He beat ye a few weeks ago in less than 10 mins, god help ye if he played a full 70!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

macdanger2

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 12, 2017, 10:23:48 PM
Christ, that was a soft penalty

Soft red too. I cant see what Parsons did to see a straight red and nobody else got any colour from the row. Even David Moran seemed bemused. I could swear he says ' what's that for?' from looking at the incident there again. Appeal it.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 10, 2017, 09:18:23 PM
Parsons in for Kirby the only change for Mayo.

Nice for Tom to finally get to wear the black of his native county at intercounty level last night. He must have got overexcited by it though and got sent off.

macdanger2

Quote from: moysider on February 12, 2017, 10:31:26 PM

Soft red too. I cant see what Parsons did to see a straight red and nobody else got any colour from the row. Even David Moran seemed bemused. I could swear he says ' what's that for?' from looking at the incident there again. Appeal it.

Yeah, didn't seem to have done anything worse than others involved in the schemozzle

Jinxy

Wouldn't even have been a free if it happened out the field.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

moysider

Quote from: Jinxy on February 12, 2017, 10:41:45 PM

Wouldn't even have been a free if it happened out the field.

Wouldn't have been a penalty either if it happened other end of the field.

From the Bunker

I'd sit on my hands! Take the hit! It's only the League. These kind of things tend to come back later if you question the authorities.

Maroon Manc

Had the Dublin game the TV and Mayo on the laptop so was flicking between games. Looked like Andy Moran had a great game, he's showing no signs of slowing down and is hugely important to Mayo. Didn't see anything though to suggest they've found any new forwards, Boland is getting game time so must be doing enough to impress Rochford in training.

Farrandeelin

Agree. Nothing to lose really.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 13, 2017, 01:53:32 PM

Agree. Nothing to lose really.

Two ways to look at it I suppose. Don't make a fuss, it's only the league and we don't want to go upsetting the man. On the other hand if you just accept a decision like that then you will keep getting rode when you play likes of Kerry and Dublin. Cormac Reilly and Maurice Deegan have shown us how it works in recent years.
I wonder who the patsy linesman was and how/why he singled out Parsons? There were others swinging and throwing shapes as well.