The Official Roscommon Thread

Started by Shrewdness, November 30, 2015, 01:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/ciar%C3%A1n-murphy-gaa-could-take-a-leaf-out-of-connacht-s-book-1.2660872

The Roscommon Herald carried seven full pages on their win over Leitrim in the Connacht championship last Sunday . . . and not a dickie-bird on the Pro 12 final.

Rossfan

Proper order.
Galway City is not in the Herald's area.
Didn't have anything about Galway football, Hurley or head the ball either.
Proud to be from a true Irish County
Pity about blow ins like Syfín ...
. :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on May 26, 2016, 11:29:44 AM
Proper order.
Country music on local radio is not acceptable for a true Irish county  :o
Has to be as Gaeilge

macdanger2

Quote from: seafoid on May 26, 2016, 11:18:47 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/ciar%C3%A1n-murphy-gaa-could-take-a-leaf-out-of-connacht-s-book-1.2660872

The Roscommon Herald carried seven full pages on their win over Leitrim in the Connacht championship last Sunday . . . and not a dickie-bird on the Pro 12 final.

Hard to know what his overall point in that article is. If it's that we have too many large stadia then he's probably right.Not sure why he feels the need to turn a positive story about connacht rugby into a negative article

Syferus

Rugby isn't a big deal in Roscommon. Cry me a river.

weareros

Ian Cooney still had an article on rugby in there on Eric Elwood and rugby camps and Willie in his column gave Connacht rugby team his performance of the week. That was plenty  - the national papers have us bombarded with rugby.

Syferus

Quote from: weareros on May 26, 2016, 01:08:42 PM

Ian Cooney still had an article on rugby in there on Eric Elwood and rugby camps and Willie in his column gave Connacht rugby team his performance of the week. That was plenty  - the national papers have us bombarded with rugby.

Why always Ros?

weareros

Quote from: Syferus on May 26, 2016, 01:10:20 PM
Quote from: weareros on May 26, 2016, 01:08:42 PM

Why always Ros?

Why always Ros what?

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on May 26, 2016, 11:55:44 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 26, 2016, 11:29:44 AM
Proper order.
Country music on local radio is not acceptable for a true Irish county  :o
Has to be as Gaeilge
Shannonside based in real cowboy hat County of Longford.
I always switch to RnaG when that caterwauling starts up.

seafoid

Nice profile

www.crypticclique.com is his website

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/gaa-professionals-no-longer-dedicated-followers-of-career-path-1.2662365
With the elite Gaelic footballer being amateur yet professional, his actual profession seems guaranteed to suffer. Major sponsors, like AIB, employ some but most players remain as students until their legs are flogged.
In the case of Neil Patrick Collins, the line blurs. Always has.
"I work in the fashion industry," the Roscommon full back explained. "I study a Masters in fashion business, I work for Brown Thomas with their men's brands and I got my own clothing brand as well that I put a lot of energy into.
"This T-shirt is mine," he smiles, protruding his chest. "Yeah, it's cool, baggy and relaxed looking."
The 26-year-old is quick to laugh at himself but beneath the engaging exterior there exists a ferocious work ethic. There has to be. Life as an intercounty footballer has become a ridiculously demanding pursuit where every-day expenses are barely covered.
Borders on madness
So to embark on a career in fashion or any profession borders on madness. Add family life into the equation and it no longer seems possible. Something inevitably snaps (usually a cruciate).
"I definitely find it challenging sometimes to devote a lot of time to it," Collins admitted. "We are expected to put in a lot of time into it and if you have other things that you are focused on it can sometimes take away from that.
"I suppose the bottom line is I don't have to play for Roscommon if I choose to focus on something else. It's a conscious decision for me to put that time and energy into playing with my county."
But an overriding impression is that really talented players are compelled to live up to their underage pedigree.
"I am not compelled," Collins disagreed. "I am compelled to do whatever I want to do. I play football for a reason. I really enjoy it.

"I make a decision to put that time and energy into it. When you are enjoying it and the team is rising it makes it a lot easier."
The Paul Galvin comparison is mentioned. "Yeah, he is getting on well with his brand in Dunnes Stores. I have always interested to see what he is doing as we have similar interests."
His own website, in partnership with Jamie Maguire, is crypticclique.com. "It's challenging to find the time but we are still working on it."
A double life of sorts, this makes Collins a rarity in Gaelic games.
"Maybe so. I would say my lifestyle outside of sport is quite different. I guess I have to be very current in my interests outside sport because that's the industry I am in.
"But when I come back to playing for Roscommon I try to be as conservative as possible, get it done, which is challenging as well!
"When I play football I believe I am a tough competitor. I am very focused when I am on the football pitch so I really don't think it matters what I do outside of that. Nobody really cares what I do so long as I am tough mentally and physically."

Syferus

Best back Castlerea have produced since Harry Keegan.

Rossfan

Not much competition since Harry's day.

Syferus

Rossfan

Farrandeelin

Speaking of the boul' Cake, will he be on TSG again talking about triangles?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.