FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doogie Browser

Shay with a couple of penalty saves last night for Citeh, Hart has a way to go before he replaces him as Number 1.

spuds

anyone have a spare ticket for wednesday s game agin the argies ??
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Declan

Bringing the young fella into the game tonight. Presume the new stadium will allow you to have a jar beforehand in their trendy new bars???

Hardy

I wouldn't usually be looking in here, but I wanted to know what people think of the national broadcaster referring to the Argentinian national team as "the Argies" in its sports bulletins. It's my understanding that this is a disrespectful term that originated in the British tabloids at the time of the Malvinas war. I certainly don't think you'd hear it on the BBC, just as you wouldn't hear them referring to eye-ties or krauts. But RTÉ's standards of sub-editing and basic competence in the language seem to have sunk so low that they don't even know (or care) what they're saying.

Does RTÉ even have a department that looks after language guidelines and pronunciation or the like? I'd say they definitely don't but for one thing. Everyone on RTÉ seems to have been trained to pronounce the "R" in "RTÉ" as "Arrrrr", which nobody else in the country does, that I know of. My guess is that the old codger who runs language and pronunciation has forgotten everything else except the importance of "Arrrr" and that's all new recruits get taught. And of course he can't be fired or even told what to do because he's a civil servant.

Sorry - I didn't know where this was going when I started.

Declan

I heard that myself Hardy and couldn't believe it. Can you imagine if it was the Brits/Frogs etc as you said.
Re the standard pronunciation etc I do vaguely remember Charles Mitchell commenting on the decline as he was about to retire so don't think it's a new thing!!!

Main Street

???
Where is the problem here, apart from an ability to invent one? ::)
Argies is a good abbreviation.
No different than the use of Aussies or Brits.

Billys Boots

Quoteanyone have a spare ticket for wednesday s game agin the argies ??

I understand that there were still tickets for sale at the ground this morning, so it shouldn't be difficult to get one.

QuoteBringing the young fella into the game tonight. Presume the new stadium will allow you to have a jar beforehand in their trendy new bars???

I was in it a month ago and it looks good - they claim you won't have to queue more than 2.5 mins for a pint, even at peak times.  You can report back on that tomorrow Declan.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

fearsiuil

Last minute job here, anyone know where/how I'd get a ticket for tonight's match ? Ticketmaster aren't selling now so close to game time. Any help greatly appreciated.
Fearsiul

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Hardy on August 11, 2010, 03:20:53 PM
I wouldn't usually be looking in here, but I wanted to know what people think of the national broadcaster referring to the Argentinian national team as "the Argies" in its sports bulletins. It's my understanding that this is a disrespectful term that originated in the British tabloids at the time of the Malvinas war. I certainly don't think you'd hear it on the BBC, just as you wouldn't hear them referring to eye-ties or krauts. But RTÉ's standards of sub-editing and basic competence in the language seem to have sunk so low that they don't even know (or care) what they're saying.

Does RTÉ even have a department that looks after language guidelines and pronunciation or the like? I'd say they definitely don't but for one thing. Everyone on RTÉ seems to have been trained to pronounce the "R" in "RTÉ" as "Arrrrr", which nobody else in the country does, that I know of. My guess is that the old codger who runs language and pronunciation has forgotten everything else except the importance of "Arrrr" and that's all new recruits get taught. And of course he can't be fired or even told what to do because he's a civil servant.

Sorry - I didn't know where this was going when I started.

Did they say how that Eyetie that manages the Paddies was getting on with his dose of the skitter?
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Hardy

Quote from: Main Street on August 11, 2010, 03:53:38 PM
???

Quote from: Hardy on August 11, 2010, 03:20:53 PMIt's my understanding that this is a disrespectful term that originated in the British tabloids at the time of the Malvinas war.

I could be wrong. Can anybody help - especially people who were around before 1982?

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Hardy on August 11, 2010, 04:44:58 PM
Quote from: Main Street on August 11, 2010, 03:53:38 PM
???

Quote from: Hardy on August 11, 2010, 03:20:53 PMIt's my understanding that this is a disrespectful term that originated in the British tabloids at the time of the Malvinas war.

I could be wrong. Can anybody help - especially people who were around before 1982?

I believe you're right Hardy.  I first heard/read the term "Argie" at the time of the Malvinas War.  Don't remember any references to the Argies winning the 1978 World Cup.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Billys Boots

QuoteLast minute job here, anyone know where/how I'd get a ticket for tonight's match ? Ticketmaster aren't selling now so close to game time. Any help greatly appreciated.
Fearsiul

I heard that there were tickets on sale in the Umbro shop on Westmoreland St. and at the ground.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

fearsiuil

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 11, 2010, 05:03:37 PM
QuoteLast minute job here, anyone know where/how I'd get a ticket for tonight's match ? Ticketmaster aren't selling now so close to game time. Any help greatly appreciated.
Fearsiul

I heard that there were tickets on sale in the Umbro shop on Westmoreland St. and at the ground.
Thanks, will head in for a look.

spuds

Loads of ticéidí about, bought one at face value straight off DART.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

stiffler

Should be an interesting tussle tonight, fancy keane to score on his 100th cap
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009