UK interest rates 2011

Started by Arthur_Friend, December 29, 2010, 08:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur_Friend

Does anybody have any UK interest rate predictions for 2011? Been reading around the net and getting a lot of conflicting info...obviously that means no-one really knows but I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of board members....

Cheers.

Arthur_Friend

From thisismoney.co.uk

ARE INTEREST RATES GOING TO RISE?

Here, our experts agree to differ. Some expect no change from the current 0.5%, while others expect an increase to 2%, which would please savers but send shudders down the spines of borrowers.

Vicky Redwood, of Capital Economics, says: 'We doubt rates will start rising until 2013 at the earliest. The first rise, to 1%, is pencilled in for February 2013.'

Andrew Clare, professor of Cass Business School and chair of Fathom Consulting, expects a small rise to 0.75%: 'The first hike will come after September.'

Azad Zangana, European economist for Schroder Investment Management, says: 'The Bank of England will err on the side of caution and will want to see the impact of the spending cuts next year. We expect a rise in November by 0.25 percentage points.'

Gavin Oldham, chief executive of The Share Centre, expects a gradual increase from the mid-2011 'moving by 0.25 percentage points, probably twice to end the year at 1%'.

But others, including Mr Hargreaves, expect bigger rises, though not until October. 'I think it might be 1.5% by the end of 2011. When they start rising, they will rise quite quickly.'

Dr Ros Altmann, director general of Saga, expects the biggest increase: 'The Bank of England has been amazingly slow to increase rates. By the end of 2011, I expect base rate to be at least 2%.'

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Arthur_Friend on December 29, 2010, 09:08:26 PM
From thisismoney.co.uk

ARE INTEREST RATES GOING TO RISE?

Here, our experts agree to differ. Some expect no change from the current 0.5%, while others expect an increase to 2%, which would please savers but send shudders down the spines of borrowers.

Vicky Redwood, of Capital Economics, says: 'We doubt rates will start rising until 2013 at the earliest. The first rise, to 1%, is pencilled in for February 2013.'

Andrew Clare, professor of Cass Business School and chair of Fathom Consulting, expects a small rise to 0.75%: 'The first hike will come after September.'

Azad Zangana, European economist for Schroder Investment Management, says: 'The Bank of England will err on the side of caution and will want to see the impact of the spending cuts next year. We expect a rise in November by 0.25 percentage points.'

Gavin Oldham, chief executive of The Share Centre, expects a gradual increase from the mid-2011 'moving by 0.25 percentage points, probably twice to end the year at 1%'.

But others, including Mr Hargreaves, expect bigger rises, though not until October. 'I think it might be 1.5% by the end of 2011. When they start rising, they will rise quite quickly.'

Dr Ros Altmann, director general of Saga, expects the biggest increase: 'The Bank of England has been amazingly slow to increase rates. By the end of 2011, I expect base rate to be at least 2%.'
Somewhere between 0 and 10% then?!

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Arthur_Friend