Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kidder81

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 19, 2022, 10:05:21 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 19, 2022, 10:02:01 AM
Quote from: Kidder81 on August 19, 2022, 09:25:17 AM
I sssiem it's the nature of how A Levels are structured now, years ago it was all on the day in May/June of upper sixth. Now they are more modular over the two years so it's harder to really f**k them up I guess, coursework making up % of a grade in some subjects too. The system is certainly more weighted towards better grades now

So you are sitting a math A level or a science topic are they structured with course work or have they stayed the same?

They are modules, half of which can be repeated before you end up with your final A level grade.

I imagine that's what he is getting at.

Yeah it is, I thought it was pretty clear (to most)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 19, 2022, 10:11:24 AM
As far as I know. Is it 2 at AS and 2 at A2 now?

Was 3 & 3 when I did it, if I remember correctly.

Show's you how much I listen to her and she teaches A level math! eldest daughter did it few years ago, I just though they did exams AS lower 6th and then exams in upper 6th.

What I'm getting at though is there course work involved in these subjects.. What subjects have coursework? And yes 35 years ago I was doing course work that gave you % towards your exams, so unless Kidder81 is older than me he'd have done coursework that led to a % of your results
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Mario on August 19, 2022, 08:57:06 AM
Quote from: An Watcher on August 19, 2022, 07:23:44 AM
Back in my day it was very rare for anyone to get 3 As in the school and many a time no one got 3 As.  Anyone who did was off doing law/medicine etc. 
Nowadays 3 As are ten a penny and the people that get them aren't doing the laws/medicine etc. 
Even the likes of nursing used to be Cs and Ds but now it's Bs.  All changed
Slightly unrelated but a lot of bright students aren't doing law or medicine anymore. The best money is in computer science and finance.
Medicine has always been a mix of kudos, being seen as financially and emotionally rewarding and what you did if you were top of the class in sciences. Similar to law in non-science subjects. It's a much more diverse world out there and there are more types of jobs and more opportunities to be well paid.

The medical profession in particular doesn't look very attractive at present and my sister in law, who is a well paid consultant, said she definitely wouldn't encourage her own children to do it as a career, especially as it actually takes years to start making good money compared to other professions. However, we need GPs, hospital doctors, surgeons etc. so they need be encouraged and the profession needs to remain attractive. QUB are not helping by wanting foreign money and forcing good local kids to learn and eventually practice elsewhere.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 19, 2022, 12:16:24 PM
Back in my day it was very rare for anyone to get 3 As in the school and many a time no one got 3 As.  Anyone who did was off doing law/medicine etc. 
Nowadays 3 As are ten a penny and the people that get them aren't doing the laws/medicine etc. 
Slightly unrelated but a lot of bright students aren't doing law or medicine anymore. The best money is in computer science and finance.
Medicine has always been a mix of kudos, being seen as financially and emotionally rewarding and what you did if you were top of the class in sciences. Similar to law in non-science subjects. It's a much more diverse world out there and there are more types of jobs and more opportunities to be well paid.

The medical profession in particular doesn't look very attractive at present and my sister in law, who is a well paid consultant, said she definitely wouldn't encourage her own children to do it as a career, especially as it actually takes years to start making good money compared to other professions. However, we need GPs, hospital doctors, surgeons etc. so they need be encouraged and the profession needs to remain attractive. QUB are not helping by wanting foreign money and forcing good local kids to learn and eventually practice elsewhere.

Colleges are a business as well so they won't change that unless they are forced too, thats down to the lads/lasses on the hill who won't bother but will plead we need more doctors.. Arseholes
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 19, 2022, 01:05:25 PM

Colleges are a business as well so they won't change that unless they are forced too, thats down to the lads/lasses on the hill who won't bother but will plead we need more doctors.. Arseholes

You don't seem to understand how college places work. if QUB has funding for 100 places then they have funding for 100 places. The overseas students are on top. They pay full fees. If they cut overseas places it makes no difference to the places they can provide for local students.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on August 19, 2022, 02:03:36 PM

You don't seem to understand how college places work. if QUB has funding for 100 places then they have funding for 100 places. The overseas students are on top. They pay full fees. If they cut overseas places it makes no difference to the places they can provide for local students.

Yeah but why give it to overseas students rather than sending our students across the water to do the same degree? Would we not be able to fill those places?

So they pay full fees, so does that mean QUB makes more money? and then like I said, colleges become a business

screenexile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 19, 2022, 02:40:49 PM

Yeah but why give it to overseas students rather than sending our students across the water to do the same degree? Would we not be able to fill those places?

So they pay full fees, so does that mean QUB makes more money? and then like I said, colleges become a business

CORRECT!!!!

trailer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 19, 2022, 02:40:49 PM

Yes but if they decided to take zero overseas students it wouldn't make any difference to the spaces they can offer. Actually scratch that they would probably have to cancel some courses as they'd be unviable without the overseas students.
If your issue is with students not getting places and having to go overseas to study then take that up with out current education minister in our non functioning Stormont government.

Milltown Row2

Take in the students from here if they have the grades, if there is a short fall then fill it with overseas students.. Not difficult

delgany

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 19, 2022, 06:07:16 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 19, 2022, 03:56:34 PM
Take in the students from here if they have the grades, if there is a short fall then fill it with overseas students.. Not difficult

The main issue is that overseas students are an utter cash cow for universities these days (particularly Russell Group or "red brick" unis like Queens), especially with funding for domestic students at the same universities capped by Stormont (and by Westminster & devolved parliaments in GB). Universities in the UK are not subject by law to a fees cap for overseas students (i.e. not resident in the UK**) whom, especially the Chinese, will pay plenty to get on to courses even if they're clearly not capable of completing the course as the university in question will lower the grade requirements for them compared to "home" students.

** Not sure how RoI or other EU resident students are now affected post-Brexit.

Currently, QUB have places available  for GB ( £9750 fees) and International students ( 17 k to 23k) for plenty of  high calibre courses but these are not available for NI ( £4750 / ROI  (£? ) students...I wonder why ? QUB and UU,  get a set budget from NI Executive for student intake, based on the level of fees. Hence, the vastly inflated grades needed ie AAB for most courses at QUB, particularly.

Jim Bob

Back in my day it was all about the exams in June ,,, no coursework counted so if you dossed your way
through  lower and upper sixth like I did you were soon caught out. I only found out a week before my History A Level exam that Piedmont was actually a region in Italy. I had thought all along Piedmont was some sort of war general.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: delgany on August 19, 2022, 06:29:19 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 19, 2022, 06:07:16 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 19, 2022, 03:56:34 PM

The main issue is that overseas students are an utter cash cow for universities these days (particularly Russell Group or "red brick" unis like Queens), especially with funding for domestic students at the same universities capped by Stormont (and by Westminster & devolved parliaments in GB). Universities in the UK are not subject by law to a fees cap for overseas students (i.e. not resident in the UK**) whom, especially the Chinese, will pay plenty to get on to courses even if they're clearly not capable of completing the course as the university in question will lower the grade requirements for them compared to "home" students.

** Not sure how RoI or other EU resident students are now affected post-Brexit.

Currently, QUB have places available  for GB ( £9750 fees) and International students ( 17 k to 23k) for plenty of  high calibre courses but these are not available for NI ( £4750 / ROI  (£? ) students...I wonder why ? QUB and UU,  get a set budget from NI Executive for student intake, based on the level of fees. Hence, the vastly inflated grades needed ie AAB for most courses at QUB, particularly.
I couldn't believe that Geography at Queens needed something like ABB. It was CCC back in my day. I know for a fact Finance at Queens was ABB for students here but BCC if you applied from GB thru clearing!

ONeill

CCEA c**k-up the Eng Lit results? Talk of them using the raw score instead of UMS.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

In terms of English Lit, awarding the raw will result in you getting a grade up to 3 grades below than it should be.

ONeill

I think you only chose one of the two exams this year. So those who chose AEL1, where the anomaly seems to have happened, have had a few stressful days.