Tour de France 2022

Started by ONeill, July 06, 2022, 04:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grounded

Video here gives an idea about the marginal gains that have happened with modern bikes/wheels but also interestingly clothing/helmets and bike position

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D1mJ06mro5fw&ved=2ahUKEwjGzZfT8In5AhUaQEEAHbX1D6MQFnoECDQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2KWIFF1pS-iSN-C4D1rN7q

markl121

Quote from: bennydorano on July 21, 2022, 10:31:26 AM
I don't think the minimum weight bike regulation has changed in a long long time (6.8kg?), so no team would ever fail to hit that if it wanted. Bikes may be slightly heavier now (I doubt they are at this level tbh)  because of Disc brakes but more importantly aero frames are generally heavier than non aero frames but the Watt savings are greater from better aero than weight alone.
Watch the GCN videos on pro bikes. They're all over 7kg now because of the disc brakes mainly and to a lesser extent the aero frames. The electronic shifting is also a bit heavy . INEOS struggled to get the pinarello down to 6.8kg even before disks and you'd have seen bernal using the lightweight meilenstein wheels (about 6 grand or so) on the really big mountain days as they weigh like 1.1kg for a pair. Lance etc were all riding n bikes bang on the UCI limit. Pogacar last year always used his rim brake big for the mountain days but the rim brake is basically dead in the peloton now and you can hardly buy a rim brake bike because of it which I guess was the point of the whole exercise. The 2021 Jumbo visma cervelos were done in raw carbon to try and save a couple of hundred grams on the paint.

bennydorano

Quote from: markl121 on July 21, 2022, 01:59:21 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on July 21, 2022, 10:31:26 AM
I don't think the minimum weight bike regulation has changed in a long long time (6.8kg?), so no team would ever fail to hit that if it wanted. Bikes may be slightly heavier now (I doubt they are at this level tbh)  because of Disc brakes but more importantly aero frames are generally heavier than non aero frames but the Watt savings are greater from better aero than weight alone.
Watch the GCN videos on pro bikes. They're all over 7kg now because of the disc brakes mainly and to a lesser extent the aero frames. The electronic shifting is also a bit heavy . INEOS struggled to get the pinarello down to 6.8kg even before disks and you'd have seen bernal using the lightweight meilenstein wheels (about 6 grand or so) on the really big mountain days as they weigh like 1.1kg for a pair. Lance etc were all riding n bikes bang on the UCI limit. Pogacar last year always used his rim brake big for the mountain days but the rim brake is basically dead in the peloton now and you can hardly buy a rim brake bike because of it which I guess was the point of the whole exercise. The 2021 Jumbo visma cervelos were done in raw carbon to try and save a couple of hundred grams on the paint.
That's very interesting, also illustrates that bike weight while hugely important, is not the be all and end all it used to be.

gallsman

Pog might still have something in the legs. A sniff of a gap opened there for the first time. Hautacam will be fun.

gallsman

Christ he nearly took himself out!

And now Pog is down! What a finish we'll have.

bennydorano

I'm wincing watching this descent

markl121

fastest tour of all time  :-X

grounded

That was a fantastic spectacle. Jonas is the man.

markl121

Quote from: grounded on July 21, 2022, 08:55:36 PM
Most exciting tour I can remember

grounded

Quote from: markl121 on July 21, 2022, 09:21:22 PM

Only thing i can think make it any better would be a team tt  (as a spectacle). But otherwise agree 100% with you. I did not expect Jonas to crack Pog again yesterday. Obviously wout is a superhuman and an unbelievable afvantage for JV and Jonas but UAD had some super performances from their diminished team towards the end as well.
         The few bad accidents and covid retirements aside just a fantastic tour.

gallsman

Quote from: grounded on July 22, 2022, 10:43:45 AM
Quote from: markl121 on July 21, 2022, 09:21:22 PM

Only thing i can think make it any better would be a team tt  (as a spectacle). But otherwise agree 100% with you. I did not expect Jonas to crack Pog again yesterday. Obviously wout is a superhuman and an unbelievable afvantage for JV and Jonas but UAD had some super performances from their diminished team towards the end as well.
         The few bad accidents and covid retirements aside just a fantastic tour.

Quite.

grounded

https://lanternerouge.com.au/2022/07/21/vingegaard-does-the-fastest-hautacam-since-armstrong/

Vingegaard put 1 minute and 4 seconds into Pogačar. Riis' Hautacam record was unbreakable on a stage this hard even with modern equipment. Riis in the 1996 Tour did an estimated 6.88 w/kg for 34:41min up Hautacam on a unipuerto stage. Vingegaard still performed exceptionally well on the climb, doing an estimated 6.32 w/kg for 36:37min

Some analysis of that Hautacam stage. In the context of a very tough tour de france, The obvious question is;
     have all the modern advancements in terms of equipment/training/diet/ etc been great enough to come close to equaling the performace of Mr 60% back in the day?

Tony Baloney

Was that the year Bjarne Riis won the Tour? I think he later admitted to juicing (nobody was shocked).

gallsman

Yes, 96. All the commentary on Eurosport has made repeated reference to JV being on the verge of being the second Danish man to win the Tour, after Riis. Not once have I heard them qualify it with "of course that victory has subsequently been thoroughly discredited, and by his own admission".

markl121

Quote from: gallsman on July 23, 2022, 11:54:10 AM
Yes, 96. All the commentary on Eurosport has made repeated reference to JV being on the verge of being the second Danish man to win the Tour, after Riis. Not once have I heard them qualify it with "of course that victory has subsequently been thoroughly discredited, and by his own admission".
Dan Lloyd and orla have both taken to twitter to shoot down the doping talk. Dan says he has no reason to stick to the omerta  :o