Is the earlier Championship a success or failure?

Started by full moon, May 07, 2022, 12:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earlier Championship

Success
59 (38.6%)
Failure
61 (39.9%)
Too early to say
33 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 153

seafoid

Quote from: full moon on May 07, 2022, 06:43:40 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 07, 2022, 03:46:03 PM
I think it's a bad idea. I know it was in response to an ESRI report but it's too early in the year.

Interesting what ESRI report was that? I thought it was basically about giving clubs more attention and the CPA demands.

https://www.esri.ie/news/new-research-examines-the-realities-of-being-a-senior-inter-county-player
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

sam03/05

Crazy decision
No show piece games at height of summer in August.
It was all done to accommodate a split season
That would be fine if there actually was a split season
Clubs have been playing football for the previous two months
So that idea of a split season is nonsense
Be better going back to the old calender

Farrandeelin

Quote from: armaghniac on May 07, 2022, 07:01:20 PM
Quote from: full moon on May 07, 2022, 12:23:18 PM
He suggested Hurling and Football do split seasons to maximise publicity etc for GAA. I think it's an interesting idea that could be explored. A lot of the time Football and Hurling are competing against each other for attention. Don't think it would be feasible calendar wise however.

Splitting the hurling and football makes obvious sense. However, the entire structure of the association has to be subject to the interest of dual players, of whom there might be 100 in the whole island.

There might be more than 100 dual players in Dublin alone.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Quote from: sam03/05 on May 08, 2022, 07:52:24 AM
Crazy decision

Did you seriously expect that Club games would only occur from beginning of August ?
Do you recall the grumbling and moaning over the old calendar for the last 10 or 15 years?
Do you remember the CPA and "fix the fixtures"?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gael85

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 08, 2022, 08:28:10 AM
He suggested Hurling and Football do split seasons to maximise publicity etc for GAA. I think it's an interesting idea that could be explored. A lot of the time Football and Hurling are competing against each other for attention. Don't think it would be feasible calendar wise however.

Splitting the hurling and football makes obvious sense. However, the entire structure of the association has to be subject to the interest of dual players, of whom there might be 100 in the whole island.

Likes of Clare, Tipp, Cork and Offaly would have a lot of dual players.

Gael85

Crazy decision

Split season is a result of the power of intercounty manager dictating club schedules. Unfair for club players who wait around all summer for their county to finish up and then blitz games off in a couple weeks.  GAA needs to market the club game more.

Throw ball

Quote from: Gael85 on May 08, 2022, 09:58:52 AM
Crazy decision

Split season is a result of the power of intercounty manager dictating club schedules. Unfair for club players who wait around all summer for their county to finish up and then blitz games off in a couple weeks.  GAA needs to market the club game more.

Outside of the inter County club championship - which is basically county football for the best club rather than the best playersin each county - the club scene is a local thing. Within each county it is probably well publicised.  Very few people will travel to watch games in other counties , teams on county borders aside

As much as the county needs the club scene to be thriving the club scene needs the county scene. The big match days etc get people interested in the game and encourages people who have no GAA backgrounds to let their children play the game.

I think the new split season makes no sense but in the end attendances will determine if it has worked.

Gael80

I follow football more than hurling but in previous years was able to keep up to date with the hurling results, the tables and watch some of the games. To be honest I haven't got a clue how it's going this year, think I heard something about Tipperary almost being elimated and something about a handshake after a Galway v Kilkenny game.

Other sports are at their most exciting time of year, finishing up after long seasons, teams neck and neck for honours, big knock out matches etc. It's the busiest time of year for Sports media and I think the GAA are struggling to get their games the attention it requires or is used to later in the year.

So for me it's been a serious failure, however when the All Ireland football group series starts in June 2023 the aim and benefits might become clearer.

For hurling though the best part of their championships are taking place at the wrong time and they'll suffer more than football with this new schedule.

Wildweasel74

Hard to keep track of games, too many games on, on certain weekends, no game built up as games played off very quick, Covid stay at homes games sort lead the way for this, If it was a sudden change from a full attended season I don't think. Public would accepted it. Also with so many games not on TV (ie, pay for view) alot of people miss games they want to see. Also you attended games you got to see minor if u wished, now a single games about e18, then money again to attend the seperate minor game. Younger players don't get the chances to play in front of big attendance game which was a big thing when I was that age group.

marty34

Be hard to know for sure until it's all over.

Dreadnought

It is slightly too early to say, but I already think it is a failure. We had a unique window during the summer for our sport, where it clashed with practically nothing. Now we've football, rugby and others in this busy time of year. I have to admit, I got caught up with the rugby on Saturday, and missed the bulk of the Cork Kerry match. That wouldn't happen in summer. We're going full bore in late Spring/early summer to knock out the most of the games, so that by mid summer, we'll only be left with the handful of semi finals and finals. Not making sense for what are summer sports. We make most teams play the bulk of their League and Championship games in poorer weather, and have their feet up all summer. Like I know we need space for the club, but the games all summer, and finals in September are what made a lot of it for me. Early Championship isn't good and needs to change back somehow.

Armagh18

Quote from: Gael85 on May 08, 2022, 09:54:05 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 08, 2022, 08:28:10 AM

Likes of Clare, Tipp, Cork and Offaly would have a lot of dual players.
Even in Armagh which is far from a hurling stronghold, most lads that play hurling play football as well.

full moon

Quote from: Dreadnought on May 09, 2022, 11:37:46 AM
It is slightly too early to say, but I already think it is a failure. We had a unique window during the summer for our sport, where it clashed with practically nothing. Now we've football, rugby and others in this busy time of year. I have to admit, I got caught up with the rugby on Saturday, and missed the bulk of teh Cork Kerry match. That wouldn't happen in summer. We're going full bore in late Spring/early summer to knock out the most of the games, so that by mid summer, we'll only be left with the handful of semi finals and finals. Not making sense for what are summer sports. We make most teams play the bulk of their League and Championship games in poorer weather, and have their feet up all summer. Like I know we need space for the club, but the games all summer, and finals in September are what made a lot of it for me. Early Championship isn't good and needs to change back somehow.

Yeah also the poorer weather affects the attendances. Of course with the many different ticketing apps and the ticketing shambles also.

Blowitupref

It's far too congested and hard to keep track of all the games in a short space of time. Underage county matches which produces some of the best matches of the year are getting lost in the congestion.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

johnnycool

Quote from: full moon on May 09, 2022, 01:11:04 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on May 09, 2022, 11:37:46 AM
It is slightly too early to say, but I already think it is a failure. We had a unique window during the summer for our sport, where it clashed with practically nothing. Now we've football, rugby and others in this busy time of year. I have to admit, I got caught up with the rugby on Saturday, and missed the bulk of teh Cork Kerry match. That wouldn't happen in summer. We're going full bore in late Spring/early summer to knock out the most of the games, so that by mid summer, we'll only be left with the handful of semi finals and finals. Not making sense for what are summer sports. We make most teams play the bulk of their League and Championship games in poorer weather, and have their feet up all summer. Like I know we need space for the club, but the games all summer, and finals in September are what made a lot of it for me. Early Championship isn't good and needs to change back somehow.

Yeah also the poorer weather affects the attendances. Of course with the many different ticketing apps and the ticketing shambles also.

Almost a full house at the Gaelic grounds yesterday all the same.

Look, irrespective of when the games are played in most provincial football campaigns there are quite a few one sided beatings. Things will pick up at the serious end of the football championships.