Donegal vs. Cavan - Ulster SFC 2022 Semi Final, Sunday 8th May

Started by Dreadnought, April 27, 2022, 10:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full moon

Quote from: Eire90 on May 08, 2022, 07:22:47 PM
what has that got to do with anything you seem to be putting people in boxes so i cant have an opinion or be judged if i live within a certain fake boundary lol

It's just strange you criticise the Ulster Championship but won't even say what County you're from. Not sure why unless you are a troll?

greatpoint

Quote from: full moon on May 08, 2022, 07:18:36 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on May 08, 2022, 07:04:41 PM
Quote from: full moon on May 08, 2022, 06:56:04 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on May 08, 2022, 06:53:11 PM
Quote from: full moon on May 08, 2022, 06:48:34 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on May 08, 2022, 06:29:22 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on May 05, 2022, 10:58:34 PM
Outside of some fairly desperate projecting, you’re not missing anything.

The spread looks to be 5 points from what I can see.

6 points in the end and probably should have been more with all the goal chances Donegal had, odds were a bit generous.

Some nasty late and head high challenges from Cavan, they really didn't want to drop down into the Bibi Baskin Cup.

I'm not sure what match you were watching. Donegal had the referee on  side and had handy frees for any contact. Goal chances? They fluked two goals.
Against a Division 4 side it was poor from Donegal. Talk of All Irelands are a bit of a laugh. I doubt there will even be an Ulster going to Donegal.

So now that yiz are done trying to work yourself into fits over innocuous comments it's on to saying the ref was the difference? Laughable.

Very bitter greatpoint. Go on and celebrate, because ye won't be celebrating much more after today. Banty and Rory Gallagher will be licking their lips looking at that.

Carlow have been out of the Championship for the last two weeks, nice of Cavan to join us ;D

I couldn't give a shite who won that today, the nonsense from some Cavan supporters made the whole thing worth following.

Not sure what you're referring to. Carlow are a junior team,. Not sure you can talk much talking about Bibi Baskin Cup? You won't even win a game in it.

Beating a "junior" team by an entire 4 points at home is very impressive.

Westside

Very little between the teams performance-wise despite what Bonnar predicted pregame. Then again they beat the handicap so... go figure.

Entertaining game, particularly the first half. Conor Lane so unpredictable. Cavan denied a stonewall penalty, Donegal got several frees for less and that really kept them ticking over in the first half.

Nobody who has ever actually played a game of football thinks that Faulkner should have been sent off, hurlers on the ditch outing themselves calling for a red.

Westside

Quote from: greatpoint on May 08, 2022, 07:04:41 PM
Quote from: full moon on May 08, 2022, 06:56:04 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on May 08, 2022, 06:53:11 PM
Quote from: full moon on May 08, 2022, 06:48:34 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on May 08, 2022, 06:29:22 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on May 05, 2022, 10:58:34 PM
Outside of some fairly desperate projecting, you're not missing anything.

The spread looks to be 5 points from what I can see.

6 points in the end and probably should have been more with all the goal chances Donegal had, odds were a bit generous.

Some nasty late and head high challenges from Cavan, they really didn't want to drop down into the Bibi Baskin Cup.

I'm not sure what match you were watching. Donegal had the referee on  side and had handy frees for any contact. Goal chances? They fluked two goals.
Against a Division 4 side it was poor from Donegal. Talk of All Irelands are a bit of a laugh. I doubt there will even be an Ulster going to Donegal.

So now that yiz are done trying to work yourself into fits over innocuous comments it's on to saying the ref was the difference? Laughable.

Very bitter greatpoint. Go on and celebrate, because ye won't be celebrating much more after today. Banty and Rory Gallagher will be licking their lips looking at that.

Carlow have been out of the Championship for the last two weeks, nice of Cavan to join us ;D

I couldn't give a shite who won that today, the nonsense from some Cavan supporters made the whole thing worth following.

You've been had mate.

Wildweasel74

Penalty wasn't stonewall penalty, but I think it was a penalty non the less. I seen players send off for the same hit on McBearty, even if a total mistake, think he sort turned in slightly to the Cavan full back coming at him, but same hit could broke his Jaw.

JoG2

Quote from: tyrone08 on May 08, 2022, 07:03:19 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 08, 2022, 06:40:03 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on May 08, 2022, 05:42:55 PM
Quote from: lenny on May 08, 2022, 05:37:24 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 08, 2022, 05:31:24 PM
Game fizzled out and went flat the second half. It's ironic that Donegal scored both goals from long hopeful miskicked balls into the square.

Good game though. Cavan were impressive and should do well in the Tailteann Cup. Donegal got a fright in the first half but they are so consistent.

Consistent? It was 2 lucky goals which won it for them. Overall thought Donegal were poor enough.

I presume he is talking about their tenth Ulster Final in 12 years, fourth in last five under Bonner.

5 ulster titles in that 12 year period. 2 ulster titles in 5 years under bonner and no AI semi final since 2015.

Bonner has a OK record but the only consistent I would say is the lack of progression for them outside of ulster

It must like the Tyrone Club championship most years sure, you're punch drunk by the time you navigate Ulster's championship waters, very little left in the tank then

Itchy

Havent seen anything back yet so can only say what I saw from the hill. I thought there wasnt a lot in it and 6 points flattered Donegal in the end. When you are the underdog you need a bit of luck and we certainly didnt get that. What looked to me a certain penalty waved away and then the very luck goal for Donegal were 2 major incidents where luck deserted Cavan. The 2nd goal was a terrible error but I think the game was gone at that stage anyway. I know the same people that thought that Cavan 5-1 was an accurate reflection on the ability of the Cavan team will now be saying Donegal are crap as they struggled to beat Cavan. The truth is Donegal are a fine team and so are Cavan. I think Monaghan and Derry will both be around the same level. The final will be a tight game and I think any of the 3 could win it. Proud of the Cavan effort today, we have developed one new forward this year in Patrick Lynch who gave the much vaunted McCole a right doing and also thought Smith was excellent. We just need one or two more lads that can score like that, as Donegal had 3/4 top forwards that can get scores vrs maybe 2 for us.

As for Lane, on first view I did think a few Donegal frees in the 1st half were softish but bar the penalty call he probably did ok.

Hopefully Cavan can lift the heads and make a charge for the Tailtean cup, a county of our history should be looking to be the 1st county to put their name on that cup.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tyrone08

Quote from: JoG2 on May 08, 2022, 10:08:33 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on May 08, 2022, 07:03:19 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 08, 2022, 06:40:03 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on May 08, 2022, 05:42:55 PM
Quote from: lenny on May 08, 2022, 05:37:24 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 08, 2022, 05:31:24 PM
Game fizzled out and went flat the second half. It's ironic that Donegal scored both goals from long hopeful miskicked balls into the square.

Good game though. Cavan were impressive and should do well in the Tailteann Cup. Donegal got a fright in the first half but they are so consistent.

Consistent? It was 2 lucky goals which won it for them. Overall thought Donegal were poor enough.

I presume he is talking about their tenth Ulster Final in 12 years, fourth in last five under Bonner.

5 ulster titles in that 12 year period. 2 ulster titles in 5 years under bonner and no AI semi final since 2015.

Bonner has a OK record but the only consistent I would say is the lack of progression for them outside of ulster

It must like the Tyrone Club championship most years sure, you're punch drunk by the time you navigate Ulster's championship waters, very little left in the tank then

Well lets compare then. In the same 12 year period tyrone won 4 ulster's, got to an 3 xAI semi final and 2x final including winning the AI.

Can't be that punch drunk if their record is far superior t Donegal 😂

Armagh18

Quote from: Dreadnought on May 08, 2022, 06:39:15 PM
Lads, just me or was Conor Lane completely inconsistent in reffing both teams? I'll need to rewatch, but thought Donegal got some right handy frees, and Cavan couldn't buy them if they tried to. Murphy seems to be let do what he pleases around the field too
St Michael can do what he likes

Dreadnought

Quote from: J70 on May 08, 2022, 06:42:50 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on May 08, 2022, 06:39:15 PM
Lads, just me or was Conor Lane completely inconsistent in reffing both teams? I'll need to rewatch, but thought Donegal got some right handy frees, and Cavan couldn't buy them if they tried to. Murphy seems to be let do what he pleases around the field too

Given this place, I'm sure it's not just you, but personally I don't know what you're talking about.

I didn't see any frees Donegal got that shouldn't have been given, nor any obvious ones Cavan missed out on.

Penalty call was debatable based on the limited replays, so far.

Still didn't get a chance to watch it back fully as was late home yesterday and only caught TSG. Should have been a penalty for me, McStay said it in the commentary too. McKiernans was tackled from behind and his arms pulled back as he was attempting to kick the ball. Should have been a penalty. Will need to see some of the other decisions I saw on the day. Even just going by what the Donegal fans (and my outlaws) were saying, they thought they got some handy decisions that kept them in it to half time and we weren't getting the same ones. Like, I'll be ok with some frees if given for certain contact, I just want to see consistency to both. Where there's a difference between what contact is given for a free for both sides is what annoys me. I definitely saw some where the man was tackled, not the ball, his arm pulled back etc. but couldn't buy a free from him. I'll watch it back

Milltown Row2

Initial reaction was a penalty, but with various angles and slow mo's I'm 50/50 on the call, Cavan just ran out of steam at the end, huge tempo and effort put in and Donegal done enough to stay with them and at the business end of things (like the Tipp Limerick game) the final 10 or so minutes is were the real class and conditioning comes through.

On the ref I didn't see a whole lot wrong bar the penalty call, I'd need to give it another look I suppose but seen them given and not given.

Will Cavan dust themselves down and give this other cup some attention? based on yesterdays game they'd be fav's for it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rudi

Cavan are a mid table division 2 team, they would have finished just behind the Muckers, if they were in division 2 this year.

StephenC

Good game of football. When Cavan played direct ball in, our defensive weaknesses were there to be seen. Very quiet day from Langan, Thompson and McGee - thought Ban and Mogan did well, and Jamie Brennan was good in patches.
Wasn't a penalty for me. The major contact happened after he tried to kick the ball. I get that Cavan ones won't agree but there you go. As for soft frees for Donegal, there was one in the first half that I'd put into that category - there was a slight over the shoulder pull on a Donegal player to the left of the D (might have been Paddy McB); other than that I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

The question that has been going through my mind since the game .... how the f£$% did Cavan end up in Div 4?

Cavan19

Quote from: StephenC on May 09, 2022, 09:32:08 AM

The question that has been going through my mind since the game .... how the f£$% did Cavan end up in Div 4?

Graham is a championship man didn't respect the leagues and took Wicklow for granted in a relegation playoff.

The performances in the league this year were no where near what they showed in the two championship games the style of play was totally different and the intensity must have gone up by 50%.

We would give anyone there fill of it apart from the teams who will be knocking around Croke park at semi final stage.