Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

The EU got too much shit going on in Ukraine affecting them that they not pay much attention to the UK. Johnson, you wouldn't trust him if you were related to him.

screenexile

Quote from: trailer on May 16, 2022, 05:18:24 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on May 16, 2022, 05:08:57 PM
My initial thoughts are to pull the whole thing down to feck.  Sicken your hole.  Get the border poll tonight and there'd be a united ireland in the morning.   Aaaaargh

Yes and No.
The Nationalist parties should put an ultimatum to the DUP and the British government. Either work Stormont and provide good stable government or it is gone forever and they will both come together to help form a citizens assembly with a view to a Unity referendum and reunification by 2030.

Who will both come together to form a citizens assembly??

I dunno where this optimism for a United Ireland is coming from there is no evidence that it would be even be close to 50% for reunification!

imtommygunn

I agree with this. It's a work in progress and Boris and the DUP have furthered the cause by years but it is still a way away!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 17, 2022, 09:44:30 AM
I agree with this. It's a work in progress and Boris and the DUP have furthered the cause by years but it is still a way away!

About 40% in the north id say, need all the over 50s to die off, the NHS extolling, dole scamming , look at shape of the "Banana republic" type

johnnycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 17, 2022, 10:10:03 AM

About 40% in the north id say, need all the over 50s to die off, the NHS extolling, dole scamming , look at shape of the "Banana republic" type

The economic arguments have to stack up and if the DUP get their way on the protocol it will most definitely be in the vast majority of peoples and businesses interest for a new Ireland inside the EU.

GB has turned itself into a basket case, but they haven't realised it yet.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on May 17, 2022, 10:25:03 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 17, 2022, 10:10:03 AM

The economic arguments have to stack up and if the DUP get their way on the protocol it will most definitely be in the vast majority of peoples and businesses interest for a new Ireland inside the EU.

GB has turned itself into a basket case, but they haven't realised it yet.

Totally agree

trailer

I'm exasperated with Stormont. It's manufactured crisis after manufactured crisis. I think at this point it's unworkable.

balladmaker

Quote from: trailer on May 17, 2022, 11:22:56 AM
I'm exasperated with Stormont. It's manufactured crisis after manufactured crisis. I think at this point it's unworkable.

Thinking the same.  It isn't possible to partner with the DUP in power sharing, it means instability is in-built into the institutions.  On the flip side, we hear the ongoing calls for restoration of Stormont so cost of living, the health service etc. can be sorted.  I don't think the assembly have the ability to sort it, neither financially or otherwise.  Their track record is not one to write home about.

Today we will hear Truss announce new legislation to override parts of the protocol ... that will give the DUP the out they need to go back into government, as it's all about getting out of the corner they've placed themselves in.  That legislation will never be enacted, so nothing will change fundamentally ... protocol will still be in place, DUP will find something else to posture about.

johnnycool

Quote from: balladmaker on May 17, 2022, 11:30:34 AM
Quote from: trailer on May 17, 2022, 11:22:56 AM

Thinking the same.  It isn't possible to partner with the DUP in power sharing, it means instability is in-built into the institutions.  On the flip side, we hear the ongoing calls for restoration of Stormont so cost of living, the health service etc. can be sorted.  I don't think the assembly have the ability to sort it, neither financially or otherwise.  Their track record is not one to write home about.

Today we will hear Truss announce new legislation to override parts of the protocol ... that will give the DUP the out they need to go back into government, as it's all about getting out of the corner they've placed themselves in.  That legislation will never be enacted, so nothing will change fundamentally ... protocol will still be in place, DUP will find something else to posture about.

I think the timelines for Truss's bullshít is a problem for the DUP as it'll take at least a year or two to enact and Boris will be long gone by then.

imtommygunn

He should be long gone by now but you'd never know.

Milltown Row2

Caught about two minutes of The View last night, the political commentator said that Boris is like the Snake from the Jungle Book...

Trust in me ssssssss I spat my tea out
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

weareros

Quote from: screenexile on May 17, 2022, 09:36:11 AM
My initial thoughts are to pull the whole thing down to feck.  Sicken your hole.  Get the border poll tonight and there'd be a united ireland in the morning.   Aaaaargh

Yes and No.
The Nationalist parties should put an ultimatum to the DUP and the British government. Either work Stormont and provide good stable government or it is gone forever and they will both come together to help form a citizens assembly with a view to a Unity referendum and reunification by 2030.

I dunno where this optimism for a United Ireland is coming from there is no evidence that it would be even be close to 50% for reunification!

I do wonder if too much credence is being given to that last poll by Liverpool University. I even saw Fintan O'Toole quoting the lowly 30% number at the weekend. But LucidTalk polls have both sides in 40s and Lord Ashcroft who is Tory pollster has had UI in high 40s. This is all without anyone seeing a plan. The other interesting stat is the Alliance transferring higher to Nationalist than Unionist. And the final interesting stat is when you look at the demographics the Pro-UK vote is heavy 60+. Ten years will make a big difference to those numbers.

johnnycool

Quote from: weareros on May 17, 2022, 01:37:21 PM

Yes and No.

I do wonder if too much credence is being given to that last poll by Liverpool University. I even saw Fintan O'Toole quoting the lowly 30% number at the weekend. But LucidTalk polls have both sides in 40s and Lord Ashcroft who is Tory pollster has had UI in high 40s. This is all without anyone seeing a plan. The other interesting stat is the Alliance transferring higher to Nationalist than Unionist. And the final interesting stat is when you look at the demographics the Pro-UK vote is heavy 60+. Ten years will make a big difference to those numbers.

I'd asked that question in the AE election thread as it didn't make sense to me that SF more or less held their vote, the Alliance made huge gains and the SDLP and UUP took a battering.

There had to be areas like NA, South and North Belfast where nationalists were voting Alliance.

Colm needs to get his head around that.

imtommygunn

Strangford too JC.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: weareros on May 17, 2022, 01:37:21 PM

Yes and No.

It will be difficult to push it over the line in 15 years, but heres hoping, so many ups and downs in politics so God knows where things will be even this time next year. I live in a strong nationalist city and it is very very rarely subject of conversation, that is not to say its not on peoples minds. People talk daily about NHS, debt, jobs, inflation, brexit, fuel poverty but it would be very very odd time the conversation is finished with a conclusion centering on a UI. We need to be realistic if we want to put proper plan in place.

This chat is not a reflection of society