Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Abnyone know what Kenny Archer was referring to in his column today when he talks about unequal treatment on the team holiday and first class lounge access??

skeog

CK_Redhand

Quote from: WT4E on May 03, 2022, 10:12:14 PM
Cathal McFlashinthepan

Had a wonder season and now back to lacklustre level.
I think this is a bit harsh. His decision making could improve. There are times when he could claim a mark but instead takes on his man and ends up losing it. He got a couple of frees for this on Sunday, soft enough I thought. In previous years he would have taken a mark for an easy score

Scoring Zone

Quote from: CK_Redhand on May 04, 2022, 11:13:54 AM
Cathal McFlashinthepan

I think this is a bit harsh. His decision making could improve. There are times when he could claim a mark but instead takes on his man and ends up losing it. He got a couple of frees for this on Sunday, soft enough I thought. In previous years he would have taken a mark for an easy score

The good season he had he was the main target man (donnelly was in there too but McShane was the main target man and all he had to do was get and turn and shoot - now he has to play inside with mccurry and he has shown to date he doesnt have the mentality to do it, on key piece of play for me this year that sums him up was against Donegal when Munroe was running through and goal and lashed the ball over the bar, there was an angle behind the goals where when munroe was bombing through mccurry got out of the way, McShane ran on top of him and nearly bloodly blocked him, that at any level over minors is criminal never mind an All-Star. and the soft frees he is getting will be picked up by refs sooner or later, you can't be his size and throw yourself down - bench him and bring him on for the qualifiers

TyroneClubs

Cathal McFlashinthepan

Ridiculous comment. Missed the guts of 18 months with a serious injury that he's lucky he recovered from. I'm sure a few Tyrone boys know they haven't been up to standard this season but just remember the feeling these same people brought us in September. Some people have short memories and it seems they almost want the county to fail so they can have a go at players.

nrico2006

Quote from: Scoring Zone on May 04, 2022, 04:16:48 PM
Quote from: CK_Redhand on May 04, 2022, 11:13:54 AM
Cathal McFlashinthepan

The good season he had he was the main target man (donnelly was in there too but McShane was the main target man and all he had to do was get and turn and shoot - now he has to play inside with mccurry and he has shown to date he doesnt have the mentality to do it, on key piece of play for me this year that sums him up was against Donegal when Munroe was running through and goal and lashed the ball over the bar, there was an angle behind the goals where when munroe was bombing through mccurry got out of the way, McShane ran on top of him and nearly bloodly blocked him, that at any level over minors is criminal never mind an All-Star. and the soft frees he is getting will be picked up by refs sooner or later, you can't be his size and throw yourself down - bench him and bring him on for the qualifiers

That's not entirely true.  Munroe was running through but there was still a defender there, McShane angle a run looking for the pass and he would have been through clean on goal but it never came and his run had taken him into Munroe's pathway.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

tyrone08

This is no defense of tyrones very poor season but I wonder if the condensed season is making it even more difficult for reining champions to defend their title?

Anyone know how long this shortened season is going on  for?

An Watcher

A month to prepare for the next match, a kind draw and we'll be up and running again

Mikhailov

Quote from: tyrone08 on May 04, 2022, 08:08:22 PM
This is no defense of tyrones very poor season but I wonder if the condensed season is making it even more difficult for reining champions to defend their title?

All Ireland finals are middle 2 weekends in July

tyrone08

Quote from: Mikhailov on May 04, 2022, 09:46:11 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on May 04, 2022, 08:08:22 PM

All Ireland finals are middle 2 weekends in July

Sorry I meant is this the new normal or is the AI season going back to September

WT4E

Quote from: TyroneClubs on May 04, 2022, 04:41:23 PM
Cathal McFlashinthepan

Ridiculous comment. Missed the guts of 18 months with a serious injury that he's lucky he recovered from. I'm sure a few Tyrone boys know they haven't been up to standard this season but just remember the feeling these same people brought us in September. Some people have short memories and it seems they almost want the county to fail so they can have a go at players.

Hope I'm wrong but I think he was limited enough fpr inter county before that wonder season and is back to that. I don't think we'll ever see that type of form from him again and he shouldn't get to live off it forever.

tyrone08

Quote from: WT4E on May 04, 2022, 10:15:12 PM
Quote from: TyroneClubs on May 04, 2022, 04:41:23 PM
Cathal McFlashinthepan

Hope I'm wrong but I think he was limited enough fpr inter county before that wonder season and is back to that. I don't think we'll ever see that type of form from him again and he shouldn't get to live off it forever.

I would agree to a certain extent. He needs to earn the huge package he got for staying instead of going to oz rules.

BennyHarp

Some lads are very quick to pull the plug on players. The simple fact is that we wouldn't have won the All Ireland without McShane and less than 9 months later we want him banished from the team and are making crude comments about the "package" he got for staying. I would also say, that unless we get him firing again then we have no chance of winning the All Ireland again. I may be in the minority here but I actually thought he wasn't the worst on Sunday and at least looked like he was unsettling the Derry gameplan, which is more than most achieved. I was surprised he got hooked. The championship has come around very quickly this year and a few lads have yet to find form, this time last year we had lads wanting to get rid of Kieran McGeary and he ended up player of the year. And although i do admit we have a few lads who need to improve (and quickly), maybe this month's preparation before the qualifier isn't a bad thing - we are no further away from an All Ireland quarter final than we were last week.
That was never a square ball!!

tyrone08

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 05, 2022, 11:01:21 AM
Some lads are very quick to pull the plug on players. The simple fact is that we wouldn't have won the All Ireland without McShane and less than 9 months later we want him banished from the team and are making crude comments about the "package" he got for staying. I would also say, that unless we get him firing again then we have no chance of winning the All Ireland again. I may be in the minority here but I actually thought he wasn't the worst on Sunday and at least looked like he was unsettling the Derry gameplan, which is more than most achieved. I was surprised he got hooked. The championship has come around very quickly this year and a few lads have yet to find form, this time last year we had lads wanting to get rid of Kieran McGeary and he ended up player of the year. And although i do admit we have a few lads who need to improve (and quickly), maybe this month's preparation before the qualifier isn't a bad thing - we are no further away from an All Ireland quarter final than we were last week.

That's a fair point however he has been given a lot of chances this year without finding any kind of form. Football is a business in a certain way and he was given a right bit to stay, not saying its right or wrong but its a fact. This is where we will miss the likes of Bradley as he could have came on and attached the defence.

I said at the start of the year tyrone will struggle if mcshane or McCurry have off days.

Wouldnt really say mcshane improved on the last game, he got 2 soft enough frees.

Still plenty of time to turn it around and meeting the likes of armagh in the qualifiers might be the kick up the arse that is needed.

Ultimately if tyrone fall short this year its not a big issue after the wonderful year last year. Managment are new and need time.

Man Marker

As a Derry man at the game I was really surprised at Mc Shane being taken of. He had drawn frees and was one of the few forwards who was showing anything from a Tyrone perspective. Was happy he was taken off and I felt it weakened your team.