America`s Gun Culture

Started by Wildweasel74, December 14, 2012, 06:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helix.

Quote from: Muck Savage on May 25, 2022, 05:32:04 AM
And again another president comes out and condones the killing, blah, blah, blah. More Senators up asking what is happening blah blah blah. The great Kamala talking about having the courage to make change. Well f**king make change then!

You can blame Trump, Obama, Bush etc etc but today Biden has an opportunity to make change, democratic's have the majority in both house and Senate but nothing will happen because they are concerned about the next election and lining their pockets. I said it at the time that if Nothing happened after Sandy Hook nothing will happen with a corrupt government and a bunch of politicians that continue to line their pockets at the cost of millions of Americans.

There is a mental health issue in this country that also needs to be tackled. No mentally stable 18 year old could do this. There is a lack of respect for authority and a lack of respect for other people. The culture here in the US is going down the shitter.

Kerr the leader
https://youtu.be/i6oEMESFdx4

Always harrowing when this thread gets bumped up with recent shootings.

Kerr's dad assassinated in the 80s close to the heart if not mistaken.

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: J70 on May 25, 2022, 02:12:53 AM
No, nothing will change. 20 dead 6 year olds at Sandy Hook didn't. A few more young kids is just the price of "freedom" for these f**king whackjobs.

I guess my kids school will be running through the active shooter drills again next week. Just in case.

That in itself is insane. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

whitey

Quote from: Itchy on May 25, 2022, 07:18:28 AM
Guns in America is about money and greed, like everything else in that country. The lives of little kids are less important than that. The idiots who shout about freedom are just pawns who are easy to manipulate.

I don't think it's about money and greed at all. (AndI've lived here for 30+ years)

Gun owners will tell you it's about them exercising a right that's guaranteed to them under the constitution. No-one, especially a Democratic politician , is going to impinge on or diminish their rights.

That's the mindset that needs to be changed and it's not going to be easy given how stupid and stubborn some people are

Milltown Row2

Quote from: whitey on May 25, 2022, 10:32:45 AM
Quote from: Itchy on May 25, 2022, 07:18:28 AM
Guns in America is about money and greed, like everything else in that country. The lives of little kids are less important than that. The idiots who shout about freedom are just pawns who are easy to manipulate.

I don't think it's about money and greed at all. (AndI've lived here for 30+ years)

Gun owners will tell you it's about them exercising a right that's guaranteed to them under the constitution. No-one, especially a Democratic politician , is going to impinge on or diminish their rights.

That's the mindset that needs to be changed and it's not going to be easy given how stupid and stubborn some people are

What if exercising that right is wrong? What if exercising that right has brought untold pain to parents up and down the country due to lax rules in obtaining fire power that is not required and was not available when that 'right' to bear arms was made.

A full psychiatric test needs to be carried out before you just hand over a gun, there are five major mental illnesses — autism, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder, bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder and schizophrenia, if you have any of these you should be not able to get a gun, that should be the bear minimum standard to reach.

Not go to a gun shop on your 18th and pick up a couple of guns for the craic !!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

smort

The constitution and 2nd Amendment were written the late 1700's!! Completely outdated would be an understatement. Needs major revision and and if that meant the Democrats losing the next 10 elections then it would still worth it

Taylor

Constitution aside, even if it was changed, it is still incredibly easy to get your hands on a gun in some US states.

There are almost 400 million guns in the hands of civilians in the US - thats about 120 guns for every 100 people.

It accounts for 46% of civilian held guns globally.

Those stats are mind blowing alone.....not to mention the other guns on the streets that are not accounted for.

So if the constitution changes tomorrow would it make a difference given how many guns are readily available?

Its a complete mess

Rudi

Deeper malaise in American society that this keeps happening. The easy access to lethal weapons is the final nail in the coffin. But as said, as a society America is in a deep malaise. On average people are way more fuked up, Americans live in constant fear, driven by capitalist marketing & poor role models of influence in wider society.
Controlling guns would be a start, broader society is still fuked up.

Armagh18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 24, 2022, 10:50:10 PM
Probably get some ex president offer his prayers, saying he long bought off by the gun lobby. I say there a mount of nutters in every country, ( America def way above the norm, when compared to nxt door neighbour Canada who have guns too) Most countries sensible have strict gun laws but we at the point were I just think Americans are stupid. That right to bear arms at the time it was written, was based on a ball loading musket maybe firing 3 shots a minute if u were good enough. Now there guns where 600+ rounds a minute are available to the local public. f**king Madness. The days of a commie under every bed attitude long gone. And America gives out about Russia, Iraq, Iran, etc and can't solve the 2 biggest problems in their own country, Guns and drugs.
Agreed. Can maybe justify concealed carry of a small pistol or whatever for personal protection and a rifle if you hunt, but these nutters running about with automatic rifles that shouldn't be seen outside of call of duty. Mad.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Taylor on May 25, 2022, 11:10:05 AM
Constitution aside, even if it was changed, it is still incredibly easy to get your hands on a gun in some US states.

There are almost 400 million guns in the hands of civilians in the US - thats about 120 guns for every 100 people.

Those stats are mind blowing alone.....not to mention the other guns on the streets that are not accounted for.

So if the constitution changes tomorrow would it make a difference given how many guns are readily available?

Its a complete mess
So is the only alternative to do nothing?
Surely some level of gun control is better than the current situation? It might have a while to have an effect but might slowy reduce the level of gun ownership over time.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Taylor

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 25, 2022, 11:36:45 AM

Its a complete mess
Surely some level of gun control is better than the current situation? It might have a while to have an effect but might slowy reduce the level of gun ownership over time.

I'm pointing out this this is not the resolution that will change things in the here and now.

Granted it might slowly reduce over time (it will be a long long time) but the issue is over 400million guns are out there.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Taylor on May 25, 2022, 11:58:56 AM

Its a complete mess

I'm pointing out this this is not the resolution that will change things in the here and now.

Granted it might slowly reduce over time (it will be a long long time) but the issue is over 400million guns are out there.
America may well have went past the point of no return when it comes to gun culture, but surely they have to try SOMETHING at this stage?
Powerful stuff from Steve Kerr in his press conference, but its unlikely to change many intrenched opinions either.
There is no simple solution to this, but banning assault rifles and having stricter background checks along side some sort of buy back scheme is bound to at least get the direction of travel going the right way?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Taylor

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 25, 2022, 12:05:20 PM
Quote from: Taylor on May 25, 2022, 11:58:56 AM

Its a complete mess

America may well have went past the point of no return when it comes to gun culture, but surely they have to try SOMETHING at this stage?
Powerful stuff from Steve Kerr in his press conference, but its unlikely to change many intrenched opinions either.
There is no simple solution to this, but banning assault rifles and having stricter background checks along side some sort of buy back scheme is bound to at least get the direction of travel going the right way?

As you say there is no simple solution unfortunately.

My worry would be that the changes are made and then another massacre occurs.

Could you imagine the outcry of 'I told you so' fuckwits that oppose changes?

Imagine your kids doing active shooter drills in school - absolutely insane

Jell 0 Biafra

My kid just turned 6. They've done at least 2 shooter drills in his class this academic year.

RedHand88

Why isn't Biden doing something about this?

trailer

The NRA and gun companies love these events. Gun ownership increases as Americans run out and buy guns to defend themselves. This is the best advertisement these morally corrupt businesses can get.