Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffrongael

Quote from: ck on February 20, 2024, 09:47:06 PMImagine if Peter Quinn agreed with most gaels at the time and decided that Croke Park just needed some updating and no need for a full new stadium then where would we be today?. He had a greater vision and we are all thankful for it now.

Same with Casement. A 35,000 seater is appropriate for Ulster finals and showcase matches in Belfast/Antrim and our games should become mainstream as part of big package weekends. It then also becomes Antrims home ground, and rightly so. It will boost GAA in the county and give a focal point for future generations.

I don't see the Norn Iron crew wanting to play there too often, if ever. It could host World Cup Rugby games, which would be great too. Concerts, events, exhibitions as well as everything Antrim GAA, on a big or small scale.

Yes it has been handled badly from the outset, in fact it has been a complete shambles. But now is not the time to start settling for 2nd best!

Wouldn't be too sure of that, Antrim will be in a long queue like everyone else
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

angermanagement

Antrim probably had one of their biggest league football crowds in years against Down on Sunday and Corrigan still wasn't full. There's no way the new stadium will be opened up if it's not making money. Antrim GAA will get token county finals and that will be it's lot, Casement will prove no benefit to the future of Antrim GAA. 

whatwillbwillb

Casement or whatever name its finally given as I doubt it will remain, as its public revenue being used and I would think some of our senior officials would have been aware of this for a long time. This will be a venue for everything and anything so long as its profitable and thats fair enough, but what revenue will Antrim GAA receive annually once it's opened thats the question that needs to be asked, and how do we plan to invest that going forward as i would hope that a robust Business case exists. We have lost the claim to the ground a long time ago, its not ours anymore so let's hope a good deal was negotiated back in the day.

marty34

It'll be used for concerts.

barnish oggie

I'd say there will be more concerts in it than Antrim matches.....certainly with regards to club matches.

Has it been decided what happens Clones once Casement is finally open?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: barnish oggie on February 21, 2024, 09:02:53 AMI'd say there will be more concerts in it than Antrim matches.....certainly with regards to club matches.

Was there mention of doing up most county grounds around the country? Clones may have the history of holding games, but its nearly as bad as Casement before it was closed.. If Casement is built I'd say that all Ulster finals will be held at Casement and a quarter final most years

As for other sports, wouldn't be surprised that American football might get a touch, its trying to expand now and with various games being held outside of the States Casement might get an opportunity.

Who knows, it will need a serious marketing business team in place, completely independent of the Ulster council to get the most out of the ground.

No need for some clowns to be put in place by friends or mates of someone!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NorthAntrim

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 21, 2024, 09:14:03 AM
Quote from: barnish oggie on February 21, 2024, 09:02:53 AMI'd say there will be more concerts in it than Antrim matches.....certainly with regards to club matches.

Was there mention of doing up most county grounds around the country? Clones may have the history of holding games, but its nearly as bad as Casement before it was closed.. If Casement is built I'd say that all Ulster finals will be held at Casement and a quarter final most years

As for other sports, wouldn't be surprised that American football might get a touch, its trying to expand now and with various games being held outside of the States Casement might get an opportunity.

Who knows, it will need a serious marketing business team in place, completely independent of the Ulster council to get the most out of the ground.

So you think Casement is a worthwhile project to maybe host one american football game, 4/5 games in the euros and a Luke Combs concert? Along with what? An ulster final we're realistically nowhere near and an all ireland 1/4 final? Its a farce. We should have secured a deal to make sure the gaels of Antrim are benefitting. Schools finals, u16/minor/camogie/ladies football/junior b hurling finals. How many of these will get the padlock of casement opened? None!

Milltown Row2

I've voiced my concerns about the size of Casement and losing control to the Ulster council and not having Casement for all that you have said already countless times....

That ship has sailed and still talking about what we 'should' have done over what can be done now won't change anything in your post

I'm confused as to why bringing up old conversations will actually fix anything..

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: NorthAntrim on February 21, 2024, 09:29:16 AM

So you think Casement is a worthwhile project to maybe host one american football game, 4/5 games in the euros and a Luke Combs concert? Along with what? An ulster final we're realistically nowhere near and an all ireland 1/4 final? Its a farce. We should have secured a deal to make sure the gaels of Antrim are benefitting. Schools finals, u16/minor/camogie/ladies football/junior b hurling finals. How many of these will get the padlock of casement opened? None!

I think you've nailed that there. I dont think you will see the days of local finals or underage finals being taken to the new Casement. It wouldn't be viable to open a large stadium for some games that would only bring a small crowd.

Do the Dublin clubs hold their County finals at Parnell Park or Croke Park out of interest?
hurl like f**k boi!

Saffrongael

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

NorthAntrim

Quote from: Na Glinntí Glasa on February 21, 2024, 12:02:04 PM
Quote from: NorthAntrim on February 21, 2024, 09:29:16 AM

I think you've nailed that there. I dont think you will see the days of local finals or underage finals being taken to the new Casement. It wouldn't be viable to open a large stadium for some games that would only bring a small crowd.

Do the Dublin clubs hold their County finals at Parnell Park or Croke Park out of interest?

To be fair if id a choice of parnell or croke for club finals id pick parnell. This casement sage isnt over. Chat of approx 100m shortfall in the funding here. If that isnt met and work cannot commence soon there wont be a 33000 seater stadium

Duine Inteacht Eile

Quote from: whatwillbwillb on February 21, 2024, 06:28:16 AMCasement or whatever name its finally given as I doubt it will remain, as its public revenue being used and I would think some of our senior officials would have been aware of this for a long time. This will be a venue for everything and anything so long as its profitable and thats fair enough, but what revenue will Antrim GAA receive annually once it's opened thats the question that needs to be asked, and how do we plan to invest that going forward as i would hope that a robust Business case exists. We have lost the claim to the ground a long time ago, its not ours anymore so let's hope a good deal was negotiated back in the day.
Amazingly, that only happened in 2021.
And we still went through with it!

Spike

doubtful we'll be going backwards now.  would be very surprised if antrim get unlimited use of the place, it will be used a money generator so in the first instance i am hoping they have learned a lot from the Cork fiasco. Antrim's comparatively small support wont be something stadium management will be targeting.    there is still a big question on what we are getting - is it an all singing, all dancing mini-croker with premium or a basic shell with seats? huge difference in cost.      Giving Casement away was insanity but its done now.  Could have been still using it these past ten years.     Long term if we accept Casement isnt Antrim's then what is the long term plans for adding seating and developing Dunsilly, Corrigan or a club venue up the country?   

imtommygunn

This just randomly popped up on my social media. Antrim minor ladies playing tonight and of a panel of 29 there are 28 city and one glenavy. Something doesn't seem right there?

barnish oggie

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 21, 2024, 10:25:11 PMThis just randomly popped up on my social media. Antrim minor ladies playing tonight and of a panel of 29 there are 28 city and one glenavy. Something doesn't seem right there?

Fall out over the Minor Final last year being played on the same day Moneyglass Senior Ladies were playing in Ulster.

So the MG girls have left the panel this year.

Same goes for the Senior Ladies, apart from the O'Neill sisters who aren't available all the time as they have their studies to focus on this year so I believe will be dropping in and out.

All fair enough but unfortunate timing for the Senior Ladies after reaching Div 3 for the first time.

Although there is always a strong bias towards city players with underage squads in LGFA anyway.