Donegal v Cavan, MacCumhaill Park, Sunday 13th May 4pm

Started by POBreaslain, May 09, 2018, 01:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POBreaslain

Very quiet on here at the moment. What are people's thoughts on this preliminary round match? I think that Donegal should edge it but it's really hard to say based on league form. We were unlucky to be relegated but Cavan deserved to be promoted. This one might come down to the wire.

Captain Obvious

The winner of this game should reach the Ulster final. Donegals record in MacCumhaill Park makes them favourites. Cavan chances of causing a upset is much less if Dara McVeety doesn't play.

POBreaslain

Yeah, I read that McVeety was out alright. He's a big player for them. Hopefully the boys can do the business on Sunday and then we can look forward to playing Derry in Celtic Park in a fortnight's time.

trailer

I don't know why, and I am basing this on absolutely nothing, but I think Cavan might just might catch Donegal here.

So on that hunch, Donegal to win by 10 pulling up   :P

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

POBreaslain

Itchy

Dont fancy us at all. Load of injuries in the camp. Plus at the end of the day we do not have players like McBrearty, Murphy and McHugh. Hope I am wrong but bookies are 4/11 Donegal and 11/4 Cavan.

ck

You'd have to fancy Cavan to at least give this a rattle? Cruised through to promotion back to Div 1 meanwhile Donegal went the opposite way, albeit very unlucky to do so. I liked their style of play in the league but defensively they were wide open. If that continues then Cavan will win comfortably.

imtommygunn

Not sure they will win handy but maybe fancy cavan for this too.

Maroon Manc

I could have made a case Cavan if McVeety was fit but without him its hard to see Cavan beating Donegal.

Whats the consensus in Donegal about Bonner? Donegal have the makings of a very good team inside the next few years but I wouldn't be convinced Bonner is the right man.

StephenC

Good going forward ... wide open at the back.

That's our motto for this year. I think people at home appreciate that we are playing more attacking football and that we have some very talented young players come through. But I need to see us with a better defensive structure and something of a kick-out strategy. We are going to ship a lot of goals this year. Jury is still out on Declan for me.

Itchy

The word in cavan is mcveety, Martin Reilly, caoimhin Reilly and Sean Johnston are all out. The 1st 3 were key players in league.

cavanmaniac

I'd have said Cavan would have pushed Donegal to the pin of their collar if we were at full strength, but with the injuries and the fact it's in MacCumhaill Park, I can't see anything but a Donegal win here. McVeety a massive loss, and a massively criminal loss too when you consider the amateur hour way in which he picked up the injury.

Captain Obvious

2-20 far too much to concede in a championship game time for Cavan, time to go back to basics and to what made them successful at U21 level (a defensive game plan)