Is there a better quality of life living outside the pale

Started by the Deel Rover, July 18, 2007, 02:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

as somebody who spent 7 years working in Dublin and then moved back west i wouldn't move back to dublin if you gave me a million squid (probably only buy a shoe box anyway)  not that i didn't like living in dublin i did make some good friends played the gaa and enjoyed me pints in the big smoke however the quality of life i feel  is completely different .I'm in to work in 10 minutes no traffic jams i don't spend 14 hours a week stuck on the m 50, not crippled  by a huge mortgage first time buyers can still afford to buy new houses at a reasonable price even with rising interest rates, nice environment to raise children and i don't have to pay a fortune on childcare and i still have a few yoyo's left over to enjoy a few pints at the weekend.Just wondering what would it take a true dub to make the move outside the pale and what are the benifits of living in Dublin.   
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Rossfan

Quote from: the Deel Rover on July 18, 2007, 02:14:18 PM
.Just wondering what would it take a true dub to make the move outside the pale and what are the benifits of living in Dublin.   

1 -A Job
2 -loadsa well paid jobs
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tankie

its a hard thing to put my finger on but i think for most Dubs i dont think it is dublin in particular that keeps them here, i think it is city life. I love city life, yes the traffic is crazy, prices are crazy but there is always something to do. I wcould never see myself moving out of dublin to another place in Ireland but I would always conside the likes of Boston, New York or most large cities.
Grand Slam Saturday!

his holiness nb

I moved away and love the quiet life.
The hustle bustle is grand during the day but its nice to escape in the evenings too.
Ask me holy bollix

Declan

QuoteJust wondering what would it take a true dub to make the move outside the pale and what are the benifits of living in Dublin

I made the move to enemy territory 12 years ago and the principle reason was the property price at the time. We couldn't afford to buy a house in the areas in Dublin in which we wanted to live and bring up the kids. I actually moved from South County Dublin to ensure my kids wouldn't become mall rats and D4 wannabees. Another attraction was the need for a sense of community which I had growing up in Dublin but which I fet was missing in the estates we were looking at at the time. No regrets except when the auld enemy beat us in the championship.   

Still would class myself as a Dub though when asked where I'm from.

his holiness nb

Damn straight you do Declan!

Great craic walking into the local with the oul jersey on coming back from Croke Park after a good win!
Ask me holy bollix

magpie seanie

Moved home over two years ago after almost 11 years in Dublin. Would have been home sooner but met a lass and she needed a good bit of convincing. Despite that she's delighted with the move. At present my drive to work is 10 minutes (hits a high of 18 in school months). The house we bought cost about 1/3 of what a similar house in Dublin would cost. Every time I get stuck in traffic when I go back to Dublin I wonder how people can stick it. I go mental. Literally cannot cope.

I enjoyed my early years in Dublin - no doubt about that. You just get sick of it and for me the move home has been fantastic. I always worried that it wouldn't live up to my expectations but thankfully it has.

The Real Laoislad

Living in Dublin 7 years now Palmerstown for one and the last 6 in Lucan.
Don't mind it too much as i am working for myself and i have based all my work around Meath and Kildare so i don't really get stuck in too much traffic.
Would love to move out into the country though but herself is a Dub and will take a bit of presuading.
With the money i paid for my house in Lucan i could have bought two houses in Portlaoise,And i only live in a ordinary 3 bed semi
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Hardy

Quality of life, and specifically traffic, was an issue even 26 years ago when I decided to move. I was living and working in Drogheda and the company I worked for was going to go down the tubes. In my line of business there were very few opportunities other than in the cities. So if I was staying it was work in Dublin and sit in traffic for (then) at least two hours a day. I thought about that for about eight seconds and then contacted the headhunters and asked them to look for opportunities in Galway, Limerick and Cork. I ended up in Limerick for 11 years (a fine place to live, despite the shite in the media) and then moved to Cork.

The major disadvantage is having your kids grow up with a Cork accent. Nothing prepares you for that! But I get my compensation every time I visit Dublin, sit in traffic for even fifteen minutes and reflect on what I could have been doing for the last quarter of a century.

bingobus

Moved home about 3 1/2 yrs ago from Dublin after about 9 years all together. Was dying to move home for the last year as everyone else was moving back home and other mates from elsewhere were settling out in the sticks round Dublin. Took away the social scene that I had really enjoyed in Dublin for a number of years.

Totally happy at home, married, bought house, first child on the way, heavily involved with local club again, got settled in job with really good potential, 15 min hike to work and have a good social life with a really good group of friends. Couldn't imagine it been this good if I had stayed in Dublin.

But I suppose its what you're brought up with. I have friends from Tipp, Cavan, Wexford who wouldn't dream of leaving Dublin and have bought property there. I always put it down to the fact that they didn't have many ties at home apart from family. No close friendships and had made more friends in Dublin through college and work than they had at home.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Hardy on July 18, 2007, 03:17:08 PM
Quality of life, and specifically traffic, was an issue even 26 years ago when I decided to move. I was living and working in Drogheda and the company I worked for was going to go down the tubes. In my line of business there were very few opportunities other than in the cities. So if I was staying it was work in Dublin and sit in traffic for (then) at least two hours a day. I thought about that for about eight seconds and then contacted the headhunters and asked them to look for opportunities in Galway, Limerick and Cork. I ended up in Limerick for 11 years (a fine place to live, despite the shite in the media) and then moved to Cork.

The major disadvantage is having your kids grow up with a Cork accent. Nothing prepares you for that! But I get my compensation every time I visit Dublin, sit in traffic for even fifteen minutes and reflect on what I could have been doing for the last quarter of a century.

Thats nothing.If i stay in Dublin and have kids they'll have feckin Jackeen accents....Howyais Da and bleedin this and bleedin that  :-[
You'll Never Walk Alone.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 18, 2007, 03:21:27 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 18, 2007, 03:17:08 PM

Thats nothing.If i stay in Dublin and have kids they'll have feckin Jackeen accents....Howyais Da and bleedin this and bleedin that  :-[
think how proud you will be when you see them walking out onto croker with their dublin jerseys and you shouting come on the dubs from the hill Laoislad along with tankie,indiana and gnevin  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Declan

QuoteThe major disadvantage is having your kids grow up with a Cork accen

I know the first time my young fella said can we go to Naavan I cried!!!!

Quoteherself is a Dub and will take a bit of presuading.

No chance Laios Lad - Dubs girls always want to stay close to the Ma

blast05

QuoteWould have been home sooner but met a lass and she needed a good bit of convincing

Any tips on what the convincing was  :P   albeit that i would have more of a work commute at home than what i have now !

Fishead_Sam

4 years in Galway & 5 in Dublin, moved home to Mayo last September, glad of the move, did have lots of craic in Galway & Dublin but got tired of Dublin, sure still go up the very odd time for pints with the lads.

Of my friends living in Dublin the ones from Munster & Connaught & Donegal seem to want nothing more to leave Dublin and get back to the West or South, while the other Ulster & Leinster don't seem to mind Dublin much, just what I have noticed.