Armagh V Roscommon 1977

Started by Hedley Lamarr, June 07, 2007, 09:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hedley Lamarr

Lads anyone know where one could get a copy of the semi-final (both matches) from 77.

Bumped into a player today and he would love to have a copy of the two matches.....I offered him a copy of the final but he doesn't like horror movies. ;)

Seriosly if anyone can help please let me know.........thanks.
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

Kernan_is_King

not a great result in the '77 final, but Big Joe scored two goals, not a lot of people can say they scored two goals in final  (except jimmy keaveney  :(  )
Big Joe - Big Future!

Orior

Ah the memories. My first ever AI semi-final. I stood beside an English man for the drawn match. It was his first ever GAA match and he couldnt speak for a week afterwards. Can anyone name the Armagh team?

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ONeill

Quote from: Orior on June 07, 2007, 09:18:37 PM
Ah the memories. My first ever AI semi-final. I stood beside an English man for the drawn match. It was his first ever GAA match and he couldnt speak for a week afterwards.

That's often an ailment I suffer from after standing for 70 mins beside an apple-chomper. The doctor said the whiff of urine/buckfast weakens the vocal chords.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

KIDDO

1977 final team,
Brian mc Alinden,
Denis Stevenson,
Tom Mc Creesh
Jim Mc Kerr,
Kevin Rafferty,
Paddy Moriarty,
Joey Donnelly,
Joe Kernan,
Colm Mc Kinstry
Larry Kearns,
Jimmy Symth
Noel Marley
Sean Devlin,
Peter Trainor
Peter Loughran
subs  Jim Loughran for Donnelly,
Sean Daly for  Marley,
Frank Toman for Mckerr

Rossfan

We were robbed as usual especially by that ****er who ran across in front of Dermot as he was taking the late 50 in the drawn game >:( >:(
We'd have won the Final of course :P
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tatler Jack

Quote from: Hedley Lamarr on June 07, 2007, 09:06:39 PM
Lads anyone know where one could get a copy of the semi-final (both matches) from 77.

Just as I was getting over it Hedley you have to go and bring it up  >:( There we were cruising along 7 pts up with 10 mins to go and thinking about the final. In my case I had placed a bet at 10/1 that we would reach the final (prior to start of Connacht c'ship). Then a few soft frees conceded expertly converted by Jimmy Smyth, then a penalty (think it was Paddy Mo who scored it) and it is a draw. Yes we had a chance to win with a late 50 and on foeld excursion by Gerry O'Neill with some advice for Early did not help. The replay was even more painful. An injury to Harry Keegan and some incredible decision making on the sideline about his replacement meant that Peter Loughran had a field day. Anyway Armagh won fair and square but were no match for the Dubs in the final. We would probably have got a roasting too - but it still hurts.

Now have to make a new appointment with my shrink - just as I thought I was over it. Anyway Hedley I definitely have no video of it - long destroyed :(

stew

Roscommon were lucky in the first game to make it to a replay, wee peter Loughran missed a sitter from two yards out and kicked the ground instead of the ball, but we did well coming from 7 points down with 15 minutes to play and I was happy enough with the draw.

Paddy Mo was some kind of player back then, he went after a ball that was running away from him at full pelt and flicked it up into his hands and walked through three roscommon men including Dermot Early, the roar was deafening and he has always  been a hero of mine and must rank as one the the best and most influencial players ever.

McKerr was a bit of a gypsy though, he was not the most popular player on the squad especially after being caught cheating at cards and allegedly stealing from his team mates. :o
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

T Fearon

Jimmy Smyth played his best ever game for Armagh and a real captain's role shooting three long range points to bring us back from the dead.

Also Armagh wore white jersies for both games against Roscommon in 1977.

Rossfan

And we wore Tipp style ones.
We did the same again in 1980 (Revenge sweet revenge ;D).
Some Dublin Street seller got badly done.He was trying to flog a load of large photos of the Ros team from the Semi with the change jerseys and of course not one Ros person would buy :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Donagh

Seem to remember Roscommon being very dirty over the two games though that could have been the prejudice that comes with youth and ignorance.

john mcgill

I missed the All Ireland semi in 1977, went to US to kick ball.  I listened to the game on a phone put up against a microphone.  I won $50 from a Galway gulpin who goaded me into backing the Ulster team.
In 1980 I was still in US, hadn't made the price of the ticket home, and was listening to the game on a public service radio station.  At half time I thought that I would be smart get in for the cheap flight and book a ticket home, (phone and credit card). Alas Armagh lost and I cancelled the flight, cost me $25 cancellation fee.  Armagh would have won that game if Hughes had remained at full forward.  Probably cost him an All Star.

T Fearon

In the 1980 semi final we burn't ourselves out big time in the first half, though we got one of the luckiest goals ever seen in Croker courtesy of Jimmy Smyth. It was the injury to the majestic Colm Mc Kinstry that cost us big time in that game, he was having a stormer. Martin Murphy's sending off did nothing for our cause either.

Remember how close Roscommon ran Kerry in the AI Final taht year?

Long time dead

I think I can get a hand on a copy - Just of the Armgh Semi though.