Bet 365 refuse to pay out on £1m gamble

Started by bennydorano, December 16, 2017, 10:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/08/exclusive-teenager-takes-bet365-court-1m-won-horse-races/

Happened during the Summer but only coming to court this week. The crux of the matter being 365 says she was a front for a syndicate and in breach of 'no 3rd party' rules. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out, in a previous similar (Barney Curley)case the bookie had to pay out.

Minder

Where does a 19 year old get £25k to drop on horse racing bets ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Denn Forever

Quote from: Minder on December 16, 2017, 11:02:29 AM
Where does a 19 year old get £25k to drop on horse racing bets ?

Confirmation money?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Il Bomber Destro

bennydorano

She was definitely a front but they took the bet knowing the potential financial liabilities, what does it matter if it's one persons money or ten's. She's engaged the services of the QC who beat the bookie the last time, hope it's a similar result.

gallsman

Whatever about not paying out the winning bet, they'd want some serious legal backup for not paying back her stake.

T Fearon

I was always under the impression that there was no legal obligation on bookmakers to pay out on any winning bet?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: T Fearon on December 16, 2017, 02:39:40 PM
I was always under the impression that there was no legal obligation on bookmakers to pay out on any winning bet?

Why?

So basically if you place a bet for your wife on the National and it wins, they won't pay out?

They'll end up spending plenty more in legal fees regardless of winning the case or not
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

TabClear

Quote from: T Fearon on December 16, 2017, 02:39:40 PM

I think I heard that as well.  Not sure if it's an urban myth.  Irrespective of that,  if Bet365 dont pay out it's a f**king disgrace.  This publicity will hurt them

bennydorano

bannside

Gambling debts are not not recoverable in a court of law. They are a matter of honour. At least that was the way it used to be....unless some new law was passed in recent years that I must have missed!

bannside

The actual bet was 960 x £13 ew Lucky 15s costing £25,000.

Fairly standard bet for a 19 year old girl, lol.

T Fearon

Why did the syndicate appoint a 19 year old gjrl to place this bet?

brokencrossbar1

http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/for-the-public/Your-rights/Status-of-a-bet-as-a-contract.aspx

Status of a bet as a contract

When you place a bet with a licensed gambling business, you enter into a legally enforceable contract with that business.

The gambling business must make the terms and conditions of the bet available to you. You should make sure that you are familiar with the terms and conditions and that you understand what they might mean, especially in the event of any changed circumstances around the bet, before you decide whether to place the bet.

We also require gambling businesses to provide a means for you to complain about the bet. This helps us to keep betting fair.

Gambling businesses can refuse your bet

Just as you can decide whether or not you wish to place a bet, a gambling business is also free to decide who they accept bets from, and on what terms, in order to manage their business as they see fit.

Because a bet has to be a commercial arrangement between two willing parties, there is no statutory right to bet that means that a gambling business must accept your bet. Just like any other commercial business, a gambling business may sometimes withdraw offers or refuse bets in order to reduce risks to their business.

bannside

I could be wrong but I think Bet365 is licensed by the Gibralter government. So I don't know if online betting is subject to the same regulations as high street betting shops which are usually licensed by local authority.

Plus, betting legislation in UK and NI are different. In fact NI don't even have a gambling commission. It was set up but scrapped years ago. E.g., there is no Sunday opening etc whilst there is in the UK.

This will be an interesting case which may set legal precedent one way or another before it's over....if Bet365 don't settle out of court to avoid the negative publicity.