A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Because in an ideal world, it sounds great. But we don't live in an ideal world.

seafoid

One of the ministers said Irish Unity would be good subject to the consent of the people of Northern Iron and he offered Rockall to Mr Fearon
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

The Down Way

Quote from: T Fearon on June 26, 2016, 11:57:11 AM
Why do people in the North pursue Irish Unity.

Who is actually pursuing Irish unity in the north? The stoops never did, SF have accepted the status quo. The union is only being threatened by nationalism, English nationalism.

seafoid

I wouldn't let in Derry Armagh or Down until they are able to win an Ulster championship .

The Down Way

Quote from: seafoid on June 26, 2016, 12:49:07 PM
I wouldn't let in Derry Armagh or Down until they are able to win an Ulster championship .

Neither would I.

muppet

The smart thing to do now is to take advantage of the crisis.

1) Hide Adams as quickly as possible.
2) The Dublin Government needs to very publicly put an arm around the 6 counties and be seen to be a real force in representing their interests - in complete contrast to what is happening now in Stormont and London.
3) Offer potential solutions to those likely to be most worried about a Brexit, e.g. farmers, Civil Service etc, regardless of political leanings.
4) Avoid talk of a UI for the time being.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Option 4) Has been happening for the last century and will continue for the next one

SkillfulBill

Quote from: The Down Way on June 26, 2016, 12:47:26 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on June 26, 2016, 11:57:11 AM
Why do people in the North pursue Irish Unity.

Who is actually pursuing Irish unity in the north? The stoops never did, SF have accepted the status quo. The union is only being threatened by nationalism, English nationalism.

And the DUP

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on June 26, 2016, 12:57:55 PM
The smart thing to do now is to take advantage of the crisis.

1) Hide Adams as quickly as possible.
2) The Dublin Government needs to very publicly put an arm around the 6 counties and be seen to be a real force in representing their interests - in complete contrast to what is happening now in Stormont and London.
3) Offer potential solutions to those likely to be most worried about a Brexit, e.g. farmers, Civil Service etc, regardless of political leanings.
4) Avoid talk of a UI for the time being.
5) support NI in European fora

Brexit is nihilistic

English nationalism is the driver.The relationship between London and the English working classes can be brutal eg the miners strike, the Hillsborough disaster and the lies that followed it.
Austerity and the industrial collapse that was Thatcher's choice were savage especially in the North of England. It is a mess with very deep roots.

T Fearon

Recent days have also exposed the myth of Irish independence from England.It was therefore cringeworthy to see Irish so called leaders celebrate the 1916 leaders earlier this year,as they have in all other respects sullied their memory and betrayed their legacy.

Now the emphasis seems at all costs not to alienate nor offend their UK allies,at the expense of probably annoying Ireland's  European partners

Oghams Law

Good to see this issue being discussed at least. It would 't be if all the remainers on here had got their way..

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on June 26, 2016, 06:44:50 PM
Recent days have also exposed the myth of Irish independence from England.It was therefore cringeworthy to see Irish so called leaders celebrate the 1916 leaders earlier this year,as they have in all other respects sullied their memory and betrayed their legacy.

Now the emphasis seems at all costs not to alienate nor offend their UK allies,at the expense of probably annoying Ireland's  European partners

Tony, you are a complete WUM. I am independent of my neighbour, but if his house burns down it may still affect me.
Brexit is bollix because the UK will always have more to do with European countries than Peru or whatever (except Paddington Bear).
Ireland cannot quite ignore its neighbours, even if they are bollixes.

And taking the example of the GAA, a lot of people in Britain would go for a replay if it could be shown that someone had used 7 subs.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Yet Fermanagh get in?!

seafoid

Quote from: BennyCake on June 26, 2016, 07:43:32 PM

Yet Fermanagh get in?!
Pete mcgrath factor

Applesisapples

Ignore Tony, he has been peddling this nonsense for some time. Yes the Shinners have asked for a poll, but only to up the ante. They know the conditions aren't met as does Charlie Flanagan hence his rejection. SF know as Mike Nesbitt has pointed out that the brevet vote has woken Northern nationalists (small n) up to the fact that the cosy position within the union might not be just so cosy, and they whilst accepting the union did so on the basis of their Irishness being protected and the border being invisible. The border will not be so invisible and what happens to the protection of the GFA now? How can Cross Border bodies continue to exist?