China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on November 28, 2021, 10:58:31 PM
Admissions rising sharply in and around Johannesburg, though. Up 300% in two weeks, but from a very low base.

Weeks away from even beginning to understand how this'll play out. All just shite talk until then. Including this post.

Ah bollocks.

Hopefully a dying kick from Delta.
i usse an speelchekor

J70

No need to worry about Omicron.

The word from various Republican and Fox News personalities is that its all a hoax, dreamed up by the Democratic party in the US, to aid in their mid-term election campaign, 11+ months from now. ::)

sid waddell

Quote from: J70 on November 30, 2021, 12:49:40 PM

The word from various Republican and Fox News personalities is that its all a hoax, dreamed up by the Democratic party in the US, to aid in their mid-term election campaign, 11+ months from now. ::)
Shure wouldn't ya know it.

imtommygunn

Quote from: J70 on November 30, 2021, 12:49:40 PM

I read a better one today on twitter - omicron b is an anagram for no crimbo. Coincidence? ;D

quit yo jibbajabba

Anagram for moronic

"THEYRE LAUGHING AT US" - so say all my friends on the fb 😉😃

Truth hurts

another high figure today, we cant seem to get it under control.l. I think the schools need to close early for christmas

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 29, 2021, 09:22:42 PM
Admissions rising sharply in and around Johannesburg, though. Up 300% in two weeks, but from a very low base.

Weeks away from even beginning to understand how this'll play out. All just shite talk until then. Including this post.

Ah bollocks.

Hopefully a dying kick from Delta.

Quick notes:
• For cases to be rising faster while admissions are on same pace may hint at a lower proportion of severe disease
• But this may also simply be the result of more infection-acquired immunity and vax
• Or of cases so far being predominantly younger people
• Share of patients in ICU currently much lower than same stage of Delta wave, but may change if cases spread from being mainly young. Or may not, which would suggest T and B cells kicking in

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1465659957546782725?s=20
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

rodney trotter

The Bundesliga could be going back to playing in empty stadiums ,to curb the threat of the 4th wave .

https://t.co/lPcotKipZZ?amp=1

theskull1

Regardless of which side your on ... I reckon this is worth 30 minutes of anyones time even if its just to test their own current beliefs about this whole hashter (including how they perceive 'the other side')

QuotePaul Kingsnorth sees the vaccine wars as symptomatic of a bigger division between two fundamentally different world views: he calls them "thesis" and "antithesis." When it comes to Covid, "thesis" is the establishment viewpoint: that lockdowns are needed to contain the virus, masks work, vaccines are safe, and people who question them are wrongheaded or worse. When Covid-19 first struck, Kingsnorth took the "thesis" viewpoint.

But over the last few months, his perspective changed. As he  in today's UnHerd, the crystallising moment arrived when he woke up to the news that the Austrian government had 'interned an entire third of the population'. This move, he writes, sent a 'chill down my spine'.

The "antithesis" view can be summed up as: lockdowns are not needed, masks do not work, the safety and efficacy of the vaccines are being oversold, vaccine passports will not only fail but further segregate society, and in the near future we can expect Giradian scapegoating of the unvaccinated. In other words, we are positioned on the precipice of a slippery slope that leads towards increasingly draconian biopolitical control measures, the grip of which is unlikely to release even once the pandemic is over.

In a conversation with Freddie Sayers on this week's UnHerdTV, he explains this division and the bigger epistemological divides it reveals. "People are arguing about vaccines," he says, "but they're really under the surface arguing about what kind of person you are if you have taken these things, whether you're a good or a bad person, or clean or unclean one".

In Kingsnorth's view, each of us has a line that cannot be crossed. And his has now been reached.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4SEIY0kLpuYK2nziSgLPsI?si=yTAWV8x6QDu6qMtZB7dWvw&utm_source=native-share-menu
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

J70

Surely its not that black and white though?

I've issues myself with the idea of just locking down the unvaccinated, but that doesn't mean I'm now aligned with the antivax/anti-mask, "its all a conspiracy to take away our freedoms" shower.

joemamas

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 28, 2021, 12:55:25 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 26, 2021, 10:45:02 PM
A variant with the same lethality but 50% more transmissibility than Delta is far worse for the public health situation than a virus with the same transmissibility but 50% increased lethality.

The apparent transmissibility advantage of Omicron is the big worry here.

Would be lovely if it turned out to be less lethal but that's probably a pipe dream.

Well, the thing that initially perked my interest was no reported increase in admission rates in South Africa (and I suppose neighbours too).

Maybe not such a pipe dream. Here's hoping!!!

https://www.nicd.ac.za/diseases-a-z-index/disease-index-covid-19/surveillance-reports/daily-hospital-surveillance-datcov-report/

Just heard that the vaccination rate in South Africa is 28%, not sure anyone can come up with an exact correlation between that # and the spread of the current Omicron variant, but you would figure it has to be a factor.

lenny

Quote from: theskull1 on November 30, 2021, 05:27:41 PM
Regardless of which side your on ... I reckon this is worth 30 minutes of anyones time even if its just to test their own current beliefs about this whole hashter (including how they perceive 'the other side')

QuotePaul Kingsnorth sees the vaccine wars as symptomatic of a bigger division between two fundamentally different world views: he calls them "thesis" and "antithesis." When it comes to Covid, "thesis" is the establishment viewpoint: that lockdowns are needed to contain the virus, masks work, vaccines are safe, and people who question them are wrongheaded or worse. When Covid-19 first struck, Kingsnorth took the "thesis" viewpoint.

But over the last few months, his perspective changed. As he  in today's UnHerd, the crystallising moment arrived when he woke up to the news that the Austrian government had 'interned an entire third of the population'. This move, he writes, sent a 'chill down my spine'.

The "antithesis" view can be summed up as: lockdowns are not needed, masks do not work, the safety and efficacy of the vaccines are being oversold, vaccine passports will not only fail but further segregate society, and in the near future we can expect Giradian scapegoating of the unvaccinated. In other words, we are positioned on the precipice of a slippery slope that leads towards increasingly draconian biopolitical control measures, the grip of which is unlikely to release even once the pandemic is over.

In a conversation with Freddie Sayers on this week's UnHerdTV, he explains this division and the bigger epistemological divides it reveals. "People are arguing about vaccines," he says, "but they're really under the surface arguing about what kind of person you are if you have taken these things, whether you're a good or a bad person, or clean or unclean one".

In Kingsnorth's view, each of us has a line that cannot be crossed. And his has now been reached.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4SEIY0kLpuYK2nziSgLPsI?si=yTAWV8x6QDu6qMtZB7dWvw&utm_source=native-share-menu

It's not the establishment view though to have lockdowns. It's the view of expert scientists. The establishment in the UK for example have had to be dragged kicking and screaming into imposing restrictions. Even at the moment with the omicron variant they're delaying taking any real action in spite of some alarming initial data. The establishment in Britain has totally given up on masks also in spite of overwhelming evidence that they have a massive impact on reducing transmission. Johnson has not worn a mask in public for months and months even on visits to hospitals. I really don't understand the point that you're trying to make.

imtommygunn

Quote from: J70 on November 30, 2021, 06:01:44 PM
Surely its not that black and white though?

I've issues myself with the idea of just locking down the unvaccinated, but that doesn't mean I'm now aligned with the antivax/anti-mask, "its all a conspiracy to take away our freedoms" shower.

Exactly. Genuine unhappiness has caused a bit of a shift towards being "anti vax" too. It's not just as simple as anti vaccine. A lot who are anti vaccine wouldn't know the first thing about vaccines and in reality a lot who are for vaccines wouldn't know the first thing either. (Which tbh IMO is fine). Then there are things like misinformation campaigns going on too and there are pretty significant misinformation campaigns going on too.

There could be a lot of research and papers on this for years to come if it ever ends. A mistrust of news, an unhappiness with life due to lockdowns, different people can be easily swayed too.

I don't think lockdowns are the way for anything. At a time I think they were needed but I don't think that time is now. If there is to be a lockdown then provide evidence the areas being locked down are causing issues. I still think places that aren't sticking to guidelines and providing safe environments should be fined and/or shutdown too.

grounded

Quote from: theskull1 on November 30, 2021, 05:27:41 PM

Thanks for posting that up. He was able to articulate his thoughts, ideas and arguments in a way i could never do.