Garth Brooks and Croke Park : Boss to intervene?

Started by armaghniac, January 20, 2014, 01:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Amazing! Economic theory holds as the price of hotel rooms in Dublin refuses to contravene the laws of supply and demand.

Personally, as W.C. Fields would say were he alive, I think it would be morally wrong to miss the opportunity of separating Garth Brooks fans from as much of their money as possible.

optimus cheese

So in the middle of the Championship, Croke Park PLC are going to allow a bunch of slack-jawed yokels trudge all over the pitch in their cowboy boots or whatever these rednecks dress up in for their barn dances? Can they not take their tractors and and bugger off somewhere else for this?

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: optimus cheese on January 20, 2014, 04:41:45 PM
So in the middle of the Championship, Croke Park PLC are going to allow a bunch of slack-jawed yokels trudge all over the pitch in their cowboy boots or whatever these rednecks dress up in for their barn dances? Can they not take their tractors and and bugger off somewhere else for this?
I doubt Armagh will make Croke park at the end of July this year
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

optimus cheese

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 20, 2014, 04:46:32 PM

Me neither, but that's a debate for another day

Nally Stand

Quote from: Hardy on January 20, 2014, 03:46:05 PM
Amazing! Economic theory holds as the price of hotel rooms in Dublin refuses to contravene the laws of supply and demand.

"Supply and demand" can only justify so much of an opportunistic price rise before it becomes an opportunistic rip-off.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Bingo

Nally you genuinely think this is a Dublin issue and doesn't happen in Belfast, London, Rio, Sydney, Tokyo, Moscow, Monaco, New York "insert any place in the world that sees a spike in demand for rooms due to a popular event or occasion".

:o

deiseach

Quote from: optimus cheese on January 20, 2014, 04:49:34 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 20, 2014, 04:46:32 PM

Me neither, but that's a debate for another day

But he meant . . . oh, never mind.

seafoid

Quote from: donegal lad on January 20, 2014, 03:30:30 PM
As soon as I got confirmation on the dates I was on booking.com. Majority of hotels in the city were mad money already but I booked Bewleys hotel at the airport for both nights and was  €178 per night for 5 of us. 10 minutes later the same rooms were costing €328
Basically Garth Brooks fans are subsidising hotel punters who want to book at other times of the year.
I think it's fabliss.  Let them at it. Get him over for 20 concerts and bring Billy Ray Cyrus and his daughter over as well for another meitheal of events.     
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

thebigfella

Do you reckon the Aviva could be used for GAA? Should lock the doors and concrete over Croke Park when it's on.

armaghniac

Quote"Supply and demand" can only justify so much of an opportunistic price rise before it becomes an opportunistic rip-off.

If you don't ration scarce resources by price, then you are simply facilitating those with nothing better to do that sit with booking sites open.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

laoislad

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on January 20, 2014, 03:10:20 PM

Personally I would refuse free tickets but, hey, that's just me (and millions of others)
Nonsense.
I actually think of you as one of my friends in low places SS.. ;)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 20, 2014, 05:05:24 PM
Quote from: Hardy on January 20, 2014, 03:46:05 PM

"Supply and demand" can only justify so much of an opportunistic price rise before it becomes an opportunistic rip-off.
And when that time arrives, people won't pay those prices and the hotels will either lower them or have vacancies.

BennyCake

Maybe the whole of Tyrone could do a house swap with Dubliners that weekend? That would solve the hotel issue. I know if I was living in Dublin, I'd do anything not to be there when Brooks is in town.

Tony Baloney

They should have a twincam convention the same weekend and be done with it.

laoislad

I'd give some of ye a room but to be honest I don't like Nordies.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.