Unionist Outreach in Craigavon

Started by Ulick, June 06, 2012, 11:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulick

Craigavon Council had elected their new mayor tonight. The vote was a follows:

Mairead O' Dowd (SF): 11 votes
Carla Lockhart (DUP): 10 votes
Arnold Hatch (UUP): 3 votes.

Carla Lockhart of the DUP was elected mayor and Arnold Hatch the Deputy Mayor.

Work that one out!

Rossfan

Was the guy with 3 votes eliminated and then a second vote?
Shows what happens when those bitter orange parties get a majority  >:(
Parity of Esteem me arse ...
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

theticklemister

Ah............. I don't think it would matter which of the 3 they got into the mayor post...........they would of had a Unionist mayor anyhow!lol!

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Rossfan on June 06, 2012, 11:30:58 PM
Was the guy with 3 votes eliminated and then a second vote?
Shows what happens when those bitter orange parties get a majority  >:(
Parity of Esteem me arse ...

Far from being eliminated, the guy with the 3 votes got the Deputy Mayor job
Careful now

MW

Quote from: Ulick on June 06, 2012, 11:25:51 PM

Work that one out!

Presumably Craigavon Borough Council doesn't operate a first past the post Mayoral election then? Since you've asked us to "work that one out", I'd assume it's some form of alternative vote system, or perhaps a run-off ballot.

Marvellously transparent tit for tat title there.

(Try saying that after a drink or two)

Armaghgeddon

Something similiar happened in 2007

ardal

Just guessing here,

but it'd appear that 24 people (I shall refrain from calling them politicians) have a vote.

The one who has an absolute majority wins? NO? 10 plus 3 equals an absol.......

And then they get to select their dictator government, Hey democracy as the Brits intended it

Go home ref

Have any of you been to Craigavon before? This is how it works and you wonder why Stephen Carroll gets so little pity in Craigavon?

Moortown Spuds

Quote from: Go home ref on June 07, 2012, 02:53:47 AM
Have any of you been to Craigavon before? This is how it works and you wonder why Stephen Carroll gets so little pity in Craigavon?

You are a p***k. Like Carroll had any control over what happened between squabbling d*cks that somehow get elected.
Typical mindset of Craigavon/Lurgan/Portadown people, build a wall round it and lock the smelly c*nts in.

Bensars

Political carve up shocker !

Not as if it is solely a unionist trait.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Moortown Spuds on June 07, 2012, 10:12:08 AM
Quote from: Go home ref on June 07, 2012, 02:53:47 AM

You are a p***k. Like Carroll had any control over what happened between squabbling d*cks that somehow get elected.
Typical mindset of Craigavon/Lurgan/Portadown people, build a wall round it and lock the smelly c*nts in.
Speak for yourself you Ardboe tr**p.

I'd hazard a guess that less than 1% of Lurgan/Craigavon/Portadown support the killing of Steve Carroll, and you'll find most of them confined within 2/3 estates.

As for Craigavon Council AGM, can't say I'm in anyway surprised. Obviously some sort of communication break-down prior to the ballot between DUP/UUP but they eventually got things sorted in the end.

::)

Ulick

Quote from: fitzroyalty on June 07, 2012, 11:53:34 AM
As for Craigavon Council AGM, can't say I'm in anyway surprised. Obviously some sort of communication break-down prior to the ballot between DUP/UUP but they eventually got things sorted in the end.

Took them two hours to sort it out before they re-ran the vote with Lockhart getting through on 12-0.

ziggysego

Quote from: MW on June 06, 2012, 11:38:43 PM
Quote from: Ulick on June 06, 2012, 11:25:51 PM

Work that one out!

Presumably Craigavon Borough Council doesn't operate a first past the post Mayoral election then? Since you've asked us to "work that one out", I'd assume it's some form of alternative vote system, or perhaps a run-off ballot.

Marvellously transparent tit for tat title there.

(Try saying that after a drink or two)

You're defending Craigavon by hypothesising how the council works, when you stated you haven't got a clue how it works. Strange that...
Testing Accessibility

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Ulick on June 07, 2012, 12:01:36 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on June 07, 2012, 11:53:34 AM

Took them two hours to sort it out before they re-ran the vote with Lockhart getting through on 12-0.
Anything to tar this excuse of a council with bad publicity (that it rightfully deserves) can only be seen in a positive light. They also couldn't have voted in a more inept, out of touch and quite frankly idiotic individual. Will they make it a hat-trick for next year is the real question. 

Ulick

For the record here's what happened:

1. SF proposed a motion to use D'Hondt to allocate the mayor and deputy mayor posts.
2. The outcome of this was 12-12. The current mayor got a second casting vote so voted against to defeat the proposal.
3. The council decided to directly elect the new mayor from the floor of the chamber.
4. The vote was SF 11, DUP 10, UUP 3. The UUP candidate Hatch voted for the DUP.
5. Meeting suspended for 2 hours while the unionists figured out a plan.
6. Unionists decided the vote would eliminate the third placed candidate and another vote was required to elect the mayor.
7. SF refuse to participate, SDLP abstain, Lockhart deemed elected on a vote of 12-0.

Democracy in action - unionist style.