The SDLP

Started by ardmhachaabu, April 23, 2010, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Brian Feeney's article has hit the spot exactly when it comes to the SDLP. Unfortunately after the GFA they did not redefine policies to suit the changed environment. They were also hobbled by internal divisions with different agendas. as an ordinary nationalist voter I am not supportive of everything SF do but they are better than the SDLP. Eastwood has been a disappointment his only strategy is a but SF. I am not clear on how SF are going to achieve unity if at all, but they at least call out the cartoonist position of FG and latterly FF. I would have more faith in the civic nationalist approach.

imtommygunn

I like some of the SDLP politicians but honestly I think Eastwood is a terrible leader. There is just something about him. If they want to really progress I think they need someone much better than him. They have at the very least three that are too.

Sportacus

Genuine question, can someone explain the Croppy Boy jibe?

imtommygunn

I think he means the old croppy lie down and feels Eastwood  lay down with things like oath of allegiance to the queen and attending the 100 years of partition (or whatever it was called) celebration / commemoration.

(Not my view but what some people think...)

Rossfan

Quote from: Snapchap on January 27, 2022, 10:55:28 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 27, 2022, 10:31:03 AM
What is the SF "pathway" to a UI?
Maybe some of their spokesmen here could outline them?

Haven't SF's tactics and utterances and various campaigns for the achievement of a UI been discussed on this board ad nauseum?

Remind me as th'oul memory is getting a bit lax...
Just a little summary please.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Sportacus

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 27, 2022, 03:21:12 PM
I think he means the old croppy lie down and feels Eastwood  lay down with things like oath of allegiance to the queen and attending the 100 years of partition (or whatever it was called) celebration / commemoration.

(Not my view but what some people think...)
Thanks. Croppy's stood up to the British Empire.  The poster was taking a jibe at Colum Eastwood, by calling him a Croppy Boy.  It's not making sense to me.

imtommygunn

The NI centenary thing doesn't sit well with some people. I can't speak for if that is the poster's reasoning but I know a few who think like that.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 27, 2022, 03:53:03 PM
The NI centenary thing doesn't sit well with some people. I can't speak for if that is the poster's reasoning but I know a few who think like that.

Nor me, but sure Adams couldn't get up the Queens arse quick enough

imtommygunn

HiMucker

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 27, 2022, 01:04:27 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on January 27, 2022, 12:49:16 PM
For what's it worth SDLP members targeted SF posters in my area growing up. So it works both ways. Both were wrong.

pelted them with fliers lol
There was an infamous incident on the affluent Culmore Rd area in Derry Fear, were Sf were canvassing and the local youths pelted them with Ferrero Rochers

trileacman

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 27, 2022, 01:37:41 PM
Brian Feeney's article has hit the spot exactly when it comes to the SDLP. Unfortunately after the GFA they did not redefine policies to suit the changed environment. They were also hobbled by internal divisions with different agendas. as an ordinary nationalist voter I am not supportive of everything SF do but they are better than the SDLP. Eastwood has been a disappointment his only strategy is a but SF. I am not clear on how SF are going to achieve unity if at all, but they at least call out the cartoonist position of FG and latterly FF. I would have more faith in the civic nationalist approach.

Is anyone clear on how a united ireland is to be achieved? Bit strange to start your criticism of the SDLP as Feeney did by criticising their lack of a pathway to a UI.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: HiMucker on January 27, 2022, 04:25:20 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 27, 2022, 01:04:27 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on January 27, 2022, 12:49:16 PM
For what's it worth SDLP members targeted SF posters in my area growing up. So it works both ways. Both were wrong.

pelted them with fliers lol
There was an infamous incident on the affluent Culmore Rd area in Derry Fear, were Sf were canvassing and the local youths pelted them with Ferrero Rochers

Scoundrels, hopefully they were sent to bed with the electric blanket switched off

Snapchap

I see the SDLP has formally ended it's partnership/relationship/connection/whatever the fcuk it was supposed to have been with Fianna Fáil.

How they couldn't see how toxic Micheal Martin is to northern nationalists when they decided to hop in bed with him says an awful lot about Colum Eastwood's judgement as a political leader.

Incidentally, it's just over a year since the SDLP, to much fanfare, announced it's shiny new initiative "The New Ireland Commission". Since it's launch it has been essentially wound down having done seemingly absolutely nothing whatsoever  ::)

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Good to see they are at least getting the balls the call out that relationship between Alliance and SF(it will be denied I know by the sheep) -SF encouraging supporters to transfer to a unionist party was unforgivable.

I said a while back SF will start to turn on Alliance once sdlp are removed

Applesisapples

SDLP vote for a six county stone at Stormont celebrating partition. WTF