Quote from: muppet on December 28, 2009, 03:30:57 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on December 28, 2009, 02:09:56 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 28, 2009, 01:41:36 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on December 28, 2009, 01:26:05 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 28, 2009, 12:34:59 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on December 28, 2009, 12:10:11 AM
Quote from: Celt_Man on December 27, 2009, 03:11:52 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 27, 2009, 03:00:17 PM
The Catholic Church in Ireland has many questions to answer but this is hardly the thread for that.

If you consider how many families would have had the biggest days of their lives in that Cathedral, some for generations, surely a bit of sympathy and respect wouldn't go amiss. Or is that too much to ask?

Exactly, it means an awful lot to people because of the memories they had in it and shouldn't be used as an excuse for point scoring against the Church....
Why not ? People had memories of NAZI Germany. Should be go easy on NAZI Germany so?

Because there is always an idiot who will introduce Nazi Germany into every argument no matter how stupid it makes him look.
Does Soviet Russia or  Iran suit you better? Why should we go easy on just because "memories they had in it"

Do you understand that the people who were Christened, received Communion, were Confirmed, married and had their family funerals there were not necessarily pedophile priests?
Do you understand that these people are living in modern day palaces across the world and yet the victims are still waiting for compensation but when it's asked if this place will be rebuilt as expensive vanity project or a cheaper more realistic project. We are told we not allow talk about it because people have  good memories in the place.

You were merely told that this wasn't the right thread to discuss the pedophile priests and their victims.  ::)

He is an ignoramus, one that is incapable of comprehending the fact that this is the wrong thread for his inane drivel.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Puckoon

Quote from: Gnevin on December 26, 2009, 01:47:17 PM
where's your messiah now

Did santa steal yer manners?

Thats an atrocious comment.

Gnevin

Quote from: Puckoon on December 28, 2009, 04:45:03 PM
where's your messiah now

Well I'm sure God or the Easter Bunny will strike me down.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

stew

Quote from: Gnevin on December 28, 2009, 04:52:38 PM
where's your messiah now

Keyboard warrior strikes again, you really are two ends of a dogs bollocks gnevin.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

fearbrags

All one ever hears from a pig is a grunt

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: fearbrags on December 28, 2009, 05:20:02 PM
All one ever hears from a pig is a grunt
Very appropriate in this context I think
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

longrunsthefox

How do you know the cathedral was gutted? Maybe it accepted these things happen. Reminds me of the door at a local centre remained alarmed even though I did my best to reassure it...   ::)   

Puckoon

where's your messiah now

Heaven forbid - cos then youd look like a right ****.

ballinaman

where's your messiah now

One can only hope...

mylestheslasher

It was actually me and not Gnevin that commented on whether another vanity project of the church would commence build of a palace or whether the cathedral would be scaled down to reflect the current levels of mass goers and the fact that the church apparently have no money - well they don't when it suits them. I don't believe I have strayed of topic in stating that. I might also add that the church were able to build this palace starting in 1840 and we all know what was happening in Ireland at that time - famine, mass emmigration and a 50% decrease in population. We are now in hard times again (although clearly not as bad as 1840's) so I wonder whether the attitude of the church leaders to vanity projects has changed.
Secondly, we are talking about a building here, bricks and mortar. We are not talking about someone dieing (thankfully) so there is no grace period for grieving over a building as far as i am concerned.

trileacman

Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 28, 2009, 06:18:40 PM
It was actually me and not Gnevin that commented on whether another vanity project of the church would commence build of a palace or whether the cathedral would be scaled down to reflect the current levels of mass goers and the fact that the church apparently have no money - well they don't when it suits them. I don't believe I have strayed of topic in stating that. I might also add that the church were able to build this palace starting in 1840 and we all know what was happening in Ireland at that time - famine, mass emmigration and a 50% decrease in population. We are now in hard times again (although clearly not as bad as 1840's) so I wonder whether the attitude of the church leaders to vanity projects has changed.
Secondly, we are talking about a building here, bricks and mortar. We are not talking about someone dieing (thankfully) so there is no grace period for grieving over a building as far as i am concerned.

I would hope the attitude has changed however upon hearing the bishop who was over it (i forget his name) speaking on rte I would bet on it. He seemed happy enough to throw money to rebuild a relic of the past rather than a cathedral offering something new to the church.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

where's your messiah now

I suppose you're glad the cathedral was burnt down?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

muppet

MWWSI 2017

theskull1

Quote from: ballinaman on December 28, 2009, 06:16:35 PM

One can only hope...

What ever happened to praying?  :)

Either way thats a pretty nice thought from a follower of christ
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Celt_Man

where's your messiah now

What a plonker....
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010