1 (0.6%)
Last 16
15 (8.7%)
Third in the group and Europa League
40 (23.1%)
Bottom of the group
64 (37%)

Total Members Voted: 173

Author Topic: The Offical Glasgow Celtic thread  (Read 1630477 times)

tonto1888

• View Profile
Re: The Offical Glasgow Celtic thread
« Reply #18645 on: November 13, 2021, 07:28:37 PM »
Villa relegation odds  7/2,  looking good.
Naw. Villa have a good squad and you can be sure he's been promised a big budget so I think he'll do ok.

Having said that I don't think he's any great shakes as a manager. He was one bad result away from being sacked and then covid arrived. He got lucky. They had ran out of patience with him and Celtic imploded. Appointing Lennon was quite possibly the worst mistake Celtic made in the last 20 years and Slippy was the chief beneficiary. Nothing like that will ever happen in England

Think Gerrard will do OK at Villa too. He made Rangers organised and hard to beat especially in Europe.
Ultimately he was brought in to stop the 10 and he did so he will always be seen as a success in Scotland.
I'd expect Burnley and Newcastle to rise above Villa.
He stopped the ten not by virtue of his prowess but much more due to Celtic's self sabotage.
This season Rangers have been scraping many games by slender margins.

Rangers were a shambles when he took over. He not only caught up with Celtic, but passed them out last season. He also had a great run in the Europa League with Rangers last year as well.

Moving to Villa is a step up to a bigger club and is his audition for the Liverpool job in future.

It'll be interesting to see who Rangers get to replace him. You'd have to make Celtic favorites for the league now

He gave Rangers a style of play but last season Celtic imploded completely

dublin7

• View Profile
« Reply #18646 on: November 13, 2021, 07:57:25 PM »
Celtic imploded, but Rangers were quality. They didn't play Celtic in their Europa League games. If you look at were Rangers were when Gerrard took over. He rebuilt that team. If he was as shit as some Celtic fans think he'd have been sacked and wouldn't get near the Villa job

Look-Up!

• View Profile
« Reply #18647 on: November 14, 2021, 07:04:35 AM »
Celtic imploded, but Rangers were quality. They didn't play Celtic in their Europa League games. If you look at were Rangers were when Gerrard took over. He rebuilt that team. If he was as shit as some Celtic fans think he'd have been sacked and wouldn't get near the Villa job
Have to agree with this. Rangers finished with 102 points, albeit 10 of those points came from the OF. But still, this is a huge huge improvement in where they were at and even without those extra 10 points they still would have pipped plenty of previous Celtic teams. Keeping those points, they would have competed with the very best of past Celtic greats.
 It's probably easier to make a splash (with backing) in a club like Rangers in a league like Scotland so doesn't guarantee success in the PL but it's still a significant feather in the cap that not your everyday fool could achieve. I think Villa should be quite happy with they acquisition and likewise, it's a great club for him to really go and make a name for himself.

tonto1888

• View Profile
« Reply #18648 on: November 14, 2021, 12:58:12 PM »
m
Rangers were good and Gerard done a good job. I am not denying  that and Im glad hes gone. That said they were under no pressure at all last year from Celtic from early on. It was obvious Celtic had gone and that gave them a bit more freedom

charlieTully

• View Profile
« Reply #18649 on: November 14, 2021, 01:28:47 PM »

Curious how many hun games you watched last season ? Could you name 5 of their players without Google. You are actually making my hangover worse.

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #18650 on: November 14, 2021, 03:22:12 PM »
I'd have expected Ange to make mincemeat out of Gerard, I'm sorry he's gone /shied away, he could see the tables had turned. Perhaps his timing is still sharp.

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #18651 on: November 14, 2021, 06:24:43 PM »
RIP Bertie Auld.

StPatsAbu

• View Profile
« Reply #18652 on: November 14, 2021, 08:22:22 PM »
I'd have expected Ange to make mincemeat out of Gerard, I'm sorry he's gone /shied away, he could see the tables had turned. Perhaps his timing is still sharp.

Would be more worried by GVB than Gerrard too. GVB did ok with Feyenoord and could prob get more out of the squad than one dimensional SG who's management style like his own playing style was largely based around diving for penos.

RIP Bertie. Sad he couldn't go out with Celtic as champions
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 08:25:28 PM by StPatsAbu »

charlieTully

• View Profile
« Reply #18653 on: November 14, 2021, 09:01:42 PM »
RIP Bertie Auld.

RIP Bertie. Always around the club. A true gentleman. A lion. Hail hail.

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #18654 on: November 14, 2021, 11:40:01 PM »

Would be more worried by GVB than Gerrard too. GVB did ok with Feyenoord and could prob get more out of the squad than one dimensional SG who's management style like his own playing style was largely based around diving for penos.

RIP Bertie. Sad he couldn't go out with Celtic as champions
That's the thing, a new coach such as GVB could get the Rangers train moving again. In the first derby this season Celtic outplayed Rangers even with a new jumbled up team of novices along
with the 80m waste of space Eddy up front. A Rangers team, as they were developing this year with Gerrard, would not have been up to the challenge of an improved settled Celtic team with a competent manager in charge.

And Bertie Auld, what a vibrant character,  a man's man, lived his life to the full.

bennydorano

• View Profile
« Reply #18655 on: November 18, 2021, 02:56:27 PM »
Why is Champagne Charlie continually sought out for his opinions on Celtic? Readimg his thoughts in the Irish News today and he hasn't come out with anything controversial - I just think he's a shithead!

toby47

• View Profile
« Reply #18656 on: November 23, 2021, 02:28:22 PM »
Should be a first trophy for Ange in December.

red hander

• Masters of the dark arts since 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #18657 on: November 23, 2021, 02:58:01 PM »
Why is Champagne Charlie continually sought out for his opinions on Celtic? Readimg his thoughts in the Irish News today and he hasn't come out with anything controversial - I just think he's a shithead!

Tory boy. Can't abide him.

Silver hill

• View Profile
« Reply #18658 on: November 25, 2021, 07:36:54 PM »
Some day Celtic will be able to see out the last 10 mins and see the game out. Very shoddy in possession proved costly again

bennydorano

• View Profile
« Reply #18659 on: November 25, 2021, 07:40:07 PM »
f**k that was frustrating, some performance by Joe Hart, could claim an assist for the goal too.