TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on November 26, 2021, 10:46:15 PM
Started watching the Beatles documentary.

Don't be expecting many fireworks it's mostly a few lads jamming and having discussions about songs they're trying to write.

There's something calming about it though and they all seem fairly dead on fellas I think I'll stick with it and get through it all.

8 hours of it? Looking forward to it, huge Beatles fan
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

An Watcher

Always enjoyed the late late toy show but thought last night's was a little disappointing?  Enjoyed the little girl from wexford playing the harps n the wee girl from clare heading off to paris

trueblue1234

Aye wasn't very Christmassy. Maybe it's just too early. But was a bit of a let down. Kids feel asleep watching it.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

bennydorano

Watching Peep Show again, started at S3. Quality, quality stuff.

RedHand88

Quote from: bennydorano on November 27, 2021, 05:23:34 PM
Watching Peep Show again, started at S3. Quality, quality stuff.

It's genius. Alan Johnson is one of the funniest characters ever written.

quit yo jibbajabba

He was in something serious there recently, cant remember, but you were expecting him to jump into Johnson mode at any stage

Wonder has SuperHans settled down any 😃

bennydorano

Patterson Joseph is a popular actor, it was the Submarine show Vigil he was one of the main men. Rewatched the Leftovers recently and had forgotten he was in that too - Holy Wayne

quit yo jibbajabba

Twas Leftovers. Tipped in to see if worth watching. Will give it a blast in due course

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 26, 2021, 10:55:07 PM

Don't be expecting many fireworks it's mostly a few lads jamming and having discussions about songs they're trying to write.

There's something calming about it though and they all seem fairly dead on fellas I think I'll stick with it and get through it all.

I'm about half-way through the second episode.

I love it so far. I'm not a Beatles fanatic, but they're such a huge factor in music history that I've been looking forward to this since the trailer came out earlier in the year.

As screenexile says, its a lot of day-to-day, minute-to-minute chronicling of the process of them putting new songs together, while they joke around and, at the same time, wind their way towards breaking up. First episode literally ends with George telling them he'd see them "around the clubs" as he gets sick of being talked down to and ordered about (by McCartney, mostly in this case, as Lennon by this stage looks like he doesn't really give a f**k!). Despite the tension, its amazing to see how almost telepathic the interplay and exchanges between Lennon and McCartney still were and the overall love, for lack of a better word (or maybe its the correct one), there still was between the members of the group.

Main Street

Quote from: J70 on November 29, 2021, 05:10:56 PM

I love it so far. I'm not a Beatles fanatic, but they're such a huge factor in music history that I've been looking forward to this since the trailer came out earlier in the year.

As screenexile says, its a lot of day-to-day, minute-to-minute chronicling of the process of them putting new songs together, while they joke around and, at the same time, wind their way towards breaking up. First episode literally ends with George telling them he'd see them "around the clubs" as he gets sick of being talked down to and ordered about (by McCartney, mostly in this case, as Lennon by this stage looks like he doesn't really give a f**k!). Despite the tension, its amazing to see how almost telepathic the interplay and exchanges between Lennon and McCartney still were and the overall love, for lack of a better word (or maybe its the correct one), there still was between the members of the group.
They quickly stopped their condescending attitudes towards George and his songs when he turned up with Eric Clapton, axe in hand, to play lead guitar on While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

J70

Quote from: Main Street on November 29, 2021, 07:40:44 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 29, 2021, 05:10:56 PM

They quickly stopped their condescending attitudes towards George and his songs when he turned up with Eric Clapton, axe in hand, to play lead guitar on While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

The Get Back movie was filmed a couple of months later, but no doubt that all contributed to George's frustration.

Amazing looking at it though - the White Album in late '68, then they record Let It Be, shelve it, go in and do Abbey Road, then finish and put out Let it Be, all in about 18 months!

I guess not touring helped, but it is mind-boggling how creative and prolific they were as a band.

screenexile

How can it still be that good after 3 series that finale was absolute class!!!

J70

Quote from: screenexile on December 13, 2021, 06:18:19 PM
How can it still be that good after 3 series that finale was absolute class!!!

I know people have been complaining about spoilers, but at least tell us the show you're on about. ;D

quit yo jibbajabba

Im gona go Succession! Deffo no spoilers as i wont see to later in the week..

bennydorano

Just watched the Succession finale... superb