Gaa Memberships

Started by aidanmcg33, April 03, 2007, 02:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aidanmcg33

Anyone know how many members in total there are in the gaa?

DrinkingHarp

according to wikepedia there are about 800,000 out of the 5 million inhabitants in ireland
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

aidanmcg33

you got a link for that?

DrinkingHarp

google gaa and look for the  wikepedia link
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Captain Scarlet

just an aside but my bro has a huge problem in the way the fai talk of the numbers particiaptin in soccer in the country.
ssemingly they include the likes of me with no club affiliations playing five a side on a wednesday evening.

800k would be about right though, maybe even more now considering the growth of the ladies codes.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Gnevin

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on April 03, 2007, 04:39:31 PM
just an aside but my bro has a huge problem in the way the fai talk of the numbers particiaptin in soccer in the country.
ssemingly they include the likes of me with no club affiliations playing five a side on a wednesday evening.

800k would be about right though, maybe even more now considering the growth of the ladies codes.
If you've kicked a soccer ball in the last year your considered to be playing it   ::)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

westmayo

Just an aside are all ladies members of the GAA (I mean those registered with ladies clubs) or are they members of a seprate assocation.

deiseach

800,000 "members" seems like a lot. One in six of the population pays their subs to a club?

Square Ball

I dont think the Camoges are registered with the GAA, but they are being afiliated next year I think, this would increase the numbers. how many clube are there?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

john mcgill

I'm a member of three GAA clubs.  Split personality!  I'd imagine that other people are members of more than one club.  So change that 800,000 to 798,998

Louth Exile

I'd say that actual paid up members of clubs is way below the number of people actively involved, playing and supporting clubs. I know in my own club the membership is only €20 and yet we would get very few actually paid up members because it is left to one guy to collect it. There would easily be double the number of people actively involved in the club as are paid up. The brother is a senior player and he hasn't even been asked for membership once in the last three years!!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Lecale2

My own club take a serious approach to membership. If you don't pay you don't play. A couple of "enforcers" have been appointed for each code and they check the list of paid up members before each training session or match.  There's a lot of money involved for smaller clubs so it's worth pursuing..

Louth Exile

I don't know of any club that looks for big membership and it is small amount to help support your club. I know some Meath clubs who do a great job on it, they hold membership nights and you can get affinty deals from businesses in town if you are paid up member, they have big membership numbers
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Louth Exile

Quote from: hippity hoppity wide on April 22, 2007, 02:11:15 PM
Quote from: john mcgill on April 03, 2007, 08:45:01 PM
I'm a member of three GAA clubs.  Split personality!  I'd imagine that other people are members of more than one club.  So change that 800,000 to 798,998

Just out of interest I don't think this is actually allowed.

Why would there be anything to prevent you being a member of different GAA clubs, once they are in different counties??
(Member not player)