Started by Christmas Lights, July 18, 2016, 02:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: J70 on July 18, 2016, 03:50:20 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 18, 2016, 02:58:09 PM
Quote from: smort on July 18, 2016, 02:51:24 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 18, 2016, 02:49:52 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 18, 2016, 02:34:14 PM
I said it in the Ulster Final thread yesterday.

From Donegal's past three games, with few exceptions, just about the only occasions Conor McManus and Patrick McBrearty were able to run onto balls, turn and shoot (and score!) were from balls that were delivered in straight from the throw-ins, before the sides got a chance to get the blankets in place. In most cases, both players were double marked, but they still did the business.

Can you imagine Michael Murphy at his prime at full forward, ten years ago?

You might be on to something there.

If teams refuse to contest the kickout, then maybe we scrap the kickout.

Re-start with a throw-in after every score?

I would hate to do something so drastic and you would definitely lose the excitement of watching the big catch from a kickout. But that art is almost dead anyway due to tactics.

For me there is nothing more better/worse for your supporters than, at a crucial time of a game, your/their main midfielder sails up and brilliantly fields a kickout and the relevant crowd goes wild. But our managers have almost killed that art.

Well, how about lining up in proper positions for kickouts?

Nice idea. But very difficult to police 30 men and positions, when we can't even define or police the tackle.
MWWSI 2017

westbound

Quote from: SkillfulBill on July 18, 2016, 03:58:16 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 18, 2016, 03:42:48 PM
Ask Ros. I think there are 2 systems. Puke and the Dubs . Galway would be closer to the Dubs.

I am so sick of listening to this lazy crap that is spouted about the Dubs and how they play such attacking football. The only reason you see the Dubs rack up huge scorelines is due to the quality of the opposition they play for much of the summer. The reality is the rest of Leinster is pure dross.Put any of the other teams such as Mayo Tyrone Donegal and Kerry in Croke Park against those Leinster sides and the scoreline would also be huge. The Dubs are a fine side no doubt but we will see how good they are if the have to beat Donegal or Mayo Kerry and possibly Tyrone to win the All Ireland if the do that then it will be one of the best All Ireland ever won right up alongside Tyrone of 2005. Until then save me from this horseshite.

For example, look what kerry scored against Kildare last year!

J70

Quote from: muppet on July 18, 2016, 04:08:08 PM

From Donegal's past three games, with few exceptions, just about the only occasions Conor McManus and Patrick McBrearty were able to run onto balls, turn and shoot (and score!) were from balls that were delivered in straight from the throw-ins, before the sides got a chance to get the blankets in place. In most cases, both players were double marked, but they still did the business.

I would hate to do something so drastic and you would definitely lose the excitement of watching the big catch from a kickout. But that art is almost dead anyway due to tactics.

For me there is nothing more better/worse for your supporters than, at a crucial time of a game, your/their main midfielder sails up and brilliantly fields a kickout and the relevant crowd goes wild. But our managers have almost killed that art.

Nice idea. But very difficult to police 30 men and positions, when we can't even define or police the tackle.

Well, we have seven officials on and around the field as it is. Surely the linesmen and one of the umpires at each end could watch this? Stay in your area until the kickout reaches someone's hands. Full forwards inside the 20m line, half-forwards between the 20 and 45 etc.

Retake if necessary.

But yes, I can see the endless problems and tactical spoiling/interruptions once one starts to think it through.

Team fouls maybe for repeated offenses! Like basketball, once you pass a certain number, a 14 yard free.

muppet

http://www.leinstergaa.ie/_fileupload/Playing_Rules_of_Football_.pdf

In the 2016 Rule Book the word tackle appears once:

1.6 Player(s) may tackle an opponent for the ball.

This appears as part of 1.4:

The ball may be knocked from an opponent's hand(s) by flicking it with the open hand.

This is the rule on the shoulder:

1.7 Provided he has at least one foot on the ground, a player may make a side-to-side charge on an opponent:-
(a) who is in possession of the ball, or
(b) who is playing the ball, or
(c) when both players are moving in the direction of the ball to play it.
When he is within the small rectangle, the goalkeeper may not be charged but he may be challenged for possession of the ball, and his kick or pass may be blocked. Incidental contact with the goalkeeper while playing the ball is permitted.

A shoulder can thus only happen when the ball is in play.
You can knock the ball from a player's hand with the open hand.
And there is something called a tackle.
MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

This is pretty much like super Joes (not me the other one ;)) proposal.

Was trailed and everything in Truagh but Banty got everyone sauced so no one can remember if it worked or not

Under Lights

J70

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 18, 2016, 08:55:17 PM

Was trailed and everything in Truagh but Banty got everyone sauced so no one can remember if it worked or not

Not claiming any originality at all! And it's not rocket science anyway!

Surely someone got a bit of Joe's experiment on their phone, Banty be damned! :)

OgraAnDun

Quote from: J70 on July 18, 2016, 04:17:22 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 18, 2016, 04:08:08 PM

Well, we have seven officials on and around the field as it is. Surely the linesmen and one of the umpires at each end could watch this? Stay in your area until the kickout reaches someone's hands. Full forwards inside the 20m line, half-forwards between the 20 and 45 etc.

Retake if necessary.

But yes, I can see the endless problems and tactical spoiling/interruptions once one starts to think it through.

Team fouls maybe for repeated offenses! Like basketball, once you pass a certain number, a 14 yard free.

It can work for an intercounty or senior club championship match, but not an U16, Junior B or even Minor club game, with only the referee to check all four corners of the pitch.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: J70 on July 19, 2016, 01:30:13 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on July 18, 2016, 08:55:17 PM

Not claiming any originality at all! And it's not rocket science anyway!

Surely someone got a bit of Joe's experiment on their phone, Banty be damned! :)

Joe pushing it again in his column on Sunday. If it was the solution though I'm sure he would have been singing it from the rooftops long before now.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...