If it's not about the money then why are Dublin so far ahead?

Started by highorlow, July 17, 2016, 08:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

SO the charge that they don't work is bollocks.

The fact is nowadays, managers and trainers need to take the careers and working life of their players on board and help the players find a balance. These are young lads who are starting out in so many aspects of their lives and they need that kind of support too. Its perhaps an aspect that we haven't in Meath anyway probably haven't dealt with correctly.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on July 17, 2016, 09:57:54 PM
'Pricewaterhouse Coopers'.
Is that even a real company?
Never heard of them.
They make hurling helmets for ice hockey players. And wonderbras for balance sheets
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

Quote from: INDIANA on July 17, 2016, 10:42:44 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 17, 2016, 10:22:05 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 17, 2016, 10:15:52 PM
Quote from: thejuice on July 17, 2016, 10:07:17 PM
OK, INDIANA, so thats Cian O'Sullivan.

What about the rest of the squad. Can you have a full in depth report on the whole panel posted by tomorrow morning so we can settle this once and for all.

And while you're doing that can you ask all the minors what they plan to do for work after they graduate.

Otherwise we'll know for a fact that you're hiding something from us.

Well as posted below Dinny's county might want to look at the inter county players working thing.......
So your argument is to ask about Kildare.

All occupations have been listed on the thread. We don't have 28 year old students like some counties........
Didn't see the link. Fair play. I couldn't do a lot of those jobs.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on July 17, 2016, 10:56:36 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 17, 2016, 09:57:54 PM
'Pricewaterhouse Coopers'.
Is that even a real company?
Never heard of them.
They make hurling helmets for ice hockey players. And wonderbras for balance sheets

You're definitely on the gargle after Galways win today. :P

seafoid

I think it is very like 2014. Dubs unbackable. But Leinster is shite .
Remember the galactios in august 2014 when Donegal scored goals for fun.

Jinxy

The dream is still on, Seafoid.
Galway for Sam, and a baby for/with Jennifer.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 17, 2016, 10:20:38 PM
http://www.dublingaa.ie/teams/players/stephen-cluxton

Breakdown of what Job titles the Dublin players have.
Made up primarily of teachers, students and "bank officials" which is generally a euphemism for a job provided by Ulster Bank or some other sponsor. On paper they mostly have some occupation assigned to them but whether they actually work for a living is another matter!

That article about Cian O'Connor is embarrassing - so he spends no time at work thinking about accountancy and all his time about the family, girlfriend, football and nutrition. That's whilst he's not cruising about keeping his hamstrings loose  :-[

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on July 17, 2016, 11:07:36 PM
The dream is still on, Seafoid.
Galway for Sam, and a baby for/with Jennifer.
It would be great to complete the Leinster collection by going into the final as total underdogs a la 98 and 01 and beating the greatest team since dogs were domesticated. But not this year.

Meath would need Theresa May to become pregnant for anything to happen at this stage. These premature championship Ejaculations in tayto jerseys are very worrying.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: INDIANA on July 17, 2016, 10:14:34 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 17, 2016, 10:03:54 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 17, 2016, 09:55:53 PM
Quote from: thejuice on July 17, 2016, 09:53:02 PM
Sorry if I'm missing the sarcasm but do the Dublin players not have to work like everyone else?? Who is paying for their upkeep then?

http://www.independent.ie/storyplus/how-does-dublin-footballer-cian-osullivan-balance-work-and-play-34884328.html

Ha! PWC pay him to walk around the office, day dream about football, touch base with Dublin's professional statistician and professional dietician before his 30 minute drive to training. Such a hard life!

Unlike some Kildare players at least he has  a job. My brother in law is heavily involved down there so I know exactly what professions some of the Kildare players have- so don't start spinning anymore bullshit Dinny

Which players?

Ollie Lyons is a chartered surveyor. Alan Smith is a bank official. Morgan O'Flaherty is a civil engineer. Éamonn Callaghan is a Garda. Emmet Bolton and Eoghan O'Flaherty are in sales. Eoin Doyle and Ciaran Fitzpatrick are secondary teachers.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Gael85

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 17, 2016, 11:25:27 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 17, 2016, 10:20:38 PM
http://www.dublingaa.ie/teams/players/stephen-cluxton

Breakdown of what Job titles the Dublin players have.
Made up primarily of teachers, students and "bank officials" which is generally a euphemism for a job provided by Ulster Bank or some other sponsor. On paper they mostly have some occupation assigned to them but whether they actually work for a living is another matter!

That article about Cian O'Connor is embarrassing - so he spends no time at work thinking about accountancy and all his time about the family, girlfriend, football and nutrition. That's whilst he's not cruising about keeping his hamstrings loose  :-[

I thought Cian O'Connor was a jockey?  ;D

blast05

This discussion about players jobs reminds me of last years semi ....

On the Monday after the draw, Dublin team went to the National Aquatic session for a recovery session followed by team meeting, etc.

Meanwhile, Colm Boyle had to get up early and drive to Clifden to work .. .Clifden FFS.

I recall Alan Brogan commenting in his article in Sunday Indo a couple of weeks back about the replay and how Boyler seemed to have nothing left to give with 15-20 minutes to go cos he didn't react when Brogan went in on him with a heavy tackle... which as Brogan said was very very unlike Boyler.

Having to work for a living between draw and replay was i'm sure a major factor in that non reaction Alan.

Of course i could also mention having to spend 8 hours in a car or bus (in the 6 day turnaround between draw and replay) travelling back home to Mayo and then up to Dublin again along with disrupted sleeping patterns on the Friday night wasn't a help..... but sure thats just life and won't change
Point is though if Dublin had had to do that (with say both games having been in Castlebar) then i am certain there would have been a fleet of helicopters at the ready for first 25 players ... something no other county team could have afforded

Gael85

Quote from: blast05 on July 18, 2016, 12:06:56 AM
This discussion about players jobs reminds me of last years semi ....
On the Monday after the draw, Dublin team went to the National Aquatic session for a recovery session followed by team meeting, etc.
Meanwhile, Colm Boyle had to get up early and drive to Clifden to work .. .Clifden FFS.
I recall Alan Brogan commenting in his article in Sunday Indo a couple of weeks back about the replay and how Boyler seemed to have nothing left to give with 15-20 minutes to go cos he didn't react when Brogan went in on him with a heavy tackle... which as Brogan said was very very unlike Boyler.
Having to work for a living between draw and replay was i'm sure a major factor in that non reaction Alan.

Boyle is a guard and they have a handy number. Sure if there was work in the bed they sleep on the floor.

I remember a Andy Moran interview after they beat Tyrone in 2013 they were meeting for a pool session the following morning so things must have changed when Holmes and Connelly were in charge.

Jinxy

Do the Rossies still do the pool sessions after a game?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Gael85

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Very few players these days have to go out and do a proper days physical work like Ciaran McDonald used to do and he worked serious hours.