Dublin v Westmeath , Leinster GAA Football Senior Championship July 17, 2016

Started by rikihuntar24, July 17, 2016, 11:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Never does it away from Croke Park and is practically a professional athlete playing against amateurs. No Gooch. 
#newbridgeornowhere

dublin7

Dubs have clear advantage financially in Leinster. Wouldn't see that happen in Connaght where the likes of Mayo and Leitrim compete on a level playing field in terms of finance and playing numbers

ballinaman

http://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.302/77665/0/

Jim Gavin says he expects his players "to look after themselves" and remained unfazed by Diarmuid Connolly's involvement with Westmeath's James Dolan in the first half of today's Leinster final.

After a tackle between the two players, Dolan ruffled Connolly's hair and Connolly took exception to this contact. He caught up with Dolan and put him in a headlock before taking him to ground. Westmeath players were involved straight away and both Dolan and Connolly were given yellow cards.

Speaking to Newstalk Sport's Oisin Langan after the game, Dublin boss Gavin insisted that he wasn't disappointed with Connolly's reaction.

"He shipped a bit of punishment off the number seven [Dolan] before that and the opposition number sven raised his hand and made contact with his head. We expect our payers to look after themselves, it was a contact sport. I thought the game was officiated very well.

"It wasn't for the first bit of contact that was made by Diarmuid in the first half. He shipped quite a lot going into that and it's up to the officials to spot that. But it's a very dynamic game we paly and I think both players receiving yellows was the right call.

"It was by no means a nasty or malicious affair, I thought both teams played in the full spirit of championship football with a trophy at stake and both teams going hard at it... We always expect our players to look after themselves. I think his reaction was balanced."

::)

From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on July 17, 2016, 09:36:58 PM
Dubs have clear advantage financiallyin every way in Leinster Ireland. Wouldn't see that happen in Connaght where the likes of Mayo and Leitrim compete on a level playing field in terms of finance and playing numbers

Fixed that!

Wildweasel74

Didnt realize a hair toss is classed as punishment down round the big bad city of Dublin

thejuice

I don't know why he got so angry, his hair isn't that nice anyway.

In all seriousness it was probably a black card offence or even a red. Still Dublin would have won by 1,000,000 points or what it was in the end.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Wildweasel74

a red on top of his previous could have saw him rest out the rest of the summer, he a few bottles short of a six pack i doubt, could have cost his team dear down the line

dublin7

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 17, 2016, 09:41:24 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on July 17, 2016, 09:36:58 PM
Dubs have clear advantage financiallyin every way in Leinster Ireland. Wouldn't see that happen in Connaght where the likes of Mayo and Leitrim compete on a level playing field in terms of finance and playing numbers

Fixed that!

Well done. You clearly are knowledgeable in the use of Microsoft office. I notice you made no amendments to the fact mayo's financial resources dwarf the likes of Leitrim. Then again Mayo (especially their forwards) have always had a problem zeroing in on a target/point

moysider

Quote from: ballinaman on July 17, 2016, 09:39:40 PM

Jim Gavin says he expects his players "to look after themselves" and remained unfazed by Diarmuid Connolly's involvement with Westmeath's James Dolan in the first half of today's Leinster final.

After a tackle between the two players, Dolan ruffled Connolly's hair and Connolly took exception to this contact. He caught up with Dolan and put him in a headlock before taking him to ground. Westmeath players were involved straight away and both Dolan and Connolly were given yellow cards.

Speaking to Newstalk Sport's Oisin Langan after the game, Dublin boss Gavin insisted that he wasn't disappointed with Connolly's reaction.

"He shipped a bit of punishment off the number seven [Dolan] before that and the opposition number sven raised his hand and made contact with his head. We expect our payers to look after themselves, it was a contact sport. I thought the game was officiated very well.

"It wasn't for the first bit of contact that was made by Diarmuid in the first half. He shipped quite a lot going into that and it's up to the officials to spot that. But it's a very dynamic game we paly and I think both players receiving yellows was the right call.

"It was by no means a nasty or malicious affair, I thought both teams played in the full spirit of championship football with a trophy at stake and both teams going hard at it... We always expect our players to look after themselves. I think his reaction was balanced."

the number seven!

Gael85

Quote from: Jinxy on July 17, 2016, 08:04:44 PM
Statistically, Brogan must have one of the highest conversion ratios of all time.
As soon as he gets the ball with enough room to shoot, you're thinking, "Point".

Brogan has scored 35-339 in 102 games for Dublin between Championship & League

dublin7

Quote from: moysider on July 17, 2016, 10:52:39 PM

the number seven!

Never realised Jim Gavin is supposed to know the name of every player and number on the opposition when interviewed. Shame on him for being so under prepared when interviewed😱

ballinaman

Quote from: dublin7 on July 17, 2016, 10:58:37 PM

the number seven!

Never realised Jim Gavin is supposed to know the name of every player and number on the opposition when interviewed. Shame on him for being so under prepared when interviewed😱
He also said with regards to the incident "they regret what happened, they've had a frank discussion"

Farrandeelin

Fucktard. A little tapeen on the head and Connolly is allowed by his manager to take Dolan to the ground with a disgraceful headlock.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

dublin7

Quote from: ballinaman on July 17, 2016, 11:02:15 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on July 17, 2016, 10:58:37 PM

the number seven!

He also said with regards to the incident "they regret what happened, they've had a frank discussion"
Clearly based on posts from Mayo fans over the last week/today Connolly should have taken a dive to get westmeath player sent off. Apparently it's ok for him/Aidan o Shea to take a dive , but not to do what he did today