The DUP thread

Started by armaghniac, December 31, 2022, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 03, 2024, 03:32:36 PMRegardless of what's going on in Stormont, Saturday should normally be the busiest day of the week for a Parliamentarian as that's the day they deal with constituency matters. I was in Newry last Saturday and his office was closed. Not a good message for his constituents
Actually Friday is designated for constituency matters, Stormont doesn't sit, save for exceptional circumstances.

Dougal Maguire

I agree that Friday is a day for consistency matters, dealing with local correspondence but Saturday is normally the day that they run their constituency surgeries in order to facilitate people who are working
Careful now

Kidder81

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 05, 2024, 02:22:30 PMI agree that Friday is a day for consistency matters, dealing with local correspondence but Saturday is normally the day that they run their constituency surgeries in order to facilitate people who are working

Email or any electronic channels not reached Armagh yet ?

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Kidder81 on February 05, 2024, 02:38:30 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 05, 2024, 02:22:30 PMI agree that Friday is a day for consistency matters, dealing with local correspondence but Saturday is normally the day that they run their constituency surgeries in order to facilitate people who are working

Email or any electronic channels not reached Armagh yet ?
😂In the vast majority of cases people with an issue like to discuss it face to face
Careful now

bogball88

Quote from: Pub Bore on February 05, 2024, 01:52:36 PM
Quote from: Pub Bore on February 05, 2024, 01:27:33 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 05, 2024, 12:38:12 PM
Quote from: Pub Bore on February 05, 2024, 10:31:00 AMIdiotic by McNulty.  First day back at Stormont and the SDLP lose an MLA and a UUP MLA has a go at party colleague Robin Swann!
Who had a go at Swann?

Andy Allen criticised his decision to stand for Westminster and become a minister in the Executive.

Apparently UUP now discussing Swann not running for Westminster.  Major f**k up as Swann was actually moving to run in a UUP target seat.
Swann would likely win that seat too as he would get a lot of tactical anti DUP votes

Main Street

Re  unelected Little-Pengelly as  deputy first minister, is that because no elected DUP assembly member would want to be seen to be inferior to a fenian?

johnnycool

Quote from: Main Street on February 05, 2024, 04:49:04 PMRe  unelected Little-Pengelly as  deputy first minister, is that because no elected DUP assembly member would want to be seen to be inferior to a fenian?

Susan McKay touches on this the last few days and adds in a bit of misogyny for good measure, but I think it's her loyalty to wee Jeffrey is probably the biggest reason as it looks like he can't trust too many in that party, MLA's or MP's.

trailer

Quote from: Main Street on February 05, 2024, 04:49:04 PMRe  unelected Little-Pengelly as  deputy first minister, is that because no elected DUP assembly member would want to be seen to be inferior to a fenian?

Don't know. But what really fucks me off about her elevation to DFM is that she sat in the BBC studio at the time of the Assembly results and stated that she didn't speak for the DUP nor was she a member of the DUP. Not one week later she was co-opted in. It is that out and out bullshit that she and others spout that gets on my goat.
Besides all that she probably did zero canvassing in LV for JD when he was running. She continues to fail upwards. I think she won one election in her life and now she holds the highest political office in NI.

If parties are going to continue with this then a list of who will be co-opted needs to be published at the time of nominations. 

trailer

Quote from: johnnycool on February 05, 2024, 04:55:17 PM

Susan McKay touches on this the last few days and adds in a bit of misogyny for good measure, but I think it's her loyalty to wee Jeffrey is probably the biggest reason as it looks like he can't trust too many in that party, MLA's or MP's.

Not all criticism of women is misogyny. That fucks me off as well. Women hold the highest political office and I am ok with that. But they aren't above scrutiny.

Armagh18

I see their king has had some bad news.

Brendan

Quote from: trailer on February 05, 2024, 05:13:38 PM

Don't know. But what really fucks me off about her elevation to DFM is that she sat in the BBC studio at the time of the Assembly results and stated that she didn't speak for the DUP nor was she a member of the DUP. Not one week later she was co-opted in. It is that out and out bullshit that she and others spout that gets on my goat.
Besides all that she probably did zero canvassing in LV for JD when he was running. She continues to fail upwards. I think she won one election in her life and now she holds the highest political office in NI.

If parties are going to continue with this then a list of who will be co-opted needs to be published at the time of nominations. 

The list would be too long

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on February 05, 2024, 05:15:51 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on February 05, 2024, 04:55:17 PM

Not all criticism of women is misogyny. That fucks me off as well. Women hold the highest political office and I am ok with that. But they aren't above scrutiny.

I'd agree with you on that point, but the misogyny thing was in relation to the male members of the DUP not wanting to be subservient or seen to be subservient to Michelle O'Neill in this "deputy" role.

All alleged obviously.

tbrick18

Quote from: trailer on February 05, 2024, 05:13:38 PM

Not often I'd agree with you Trailer, but nail on the head here.
There might also be an unspoken reluctance in DUP to have a man serving as deputy to a woman.
And I'd expect too that certain senior DUP figures would not want to be in the position of implementing the protocol.
Can you imagine Sammy Wilson as deputy? Or Gregory?
The DUP are short on credible candidates...even in NI terms.

brokencrossbar1

Absolutely no way there was going to be a male DUP deputy FM. They needed someone high enough profile and the likes of Paul Givan or Gordon Lyons would not even consider it. The imagery of having a man 'subservient' to a woman would not sit well with them

lurganblue

Technically they were all subservient to Arlene not so long ago? A republican woman is a different kettle altogether.