De Qualifiers

Started by johnneycool, June 20, 2016, 12:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 25, 2016, 10:03:31 AM
That Tipp hammering was largely due to one of the most stupid tactics I've ever seen deployed on a hurling field. In fairness Tipp have usually hurled Kilkenny fairly well, and came within Hawkeye of beating them again a couple of years ago.

Galway Tipp should be epic though. Galway can hurl, and are physically strong men. Tipp can hurl, and are stronger this year than last year. Galway will feel they are well able for Tipp. Tipp will feel they are better than Galway, and will be anxious to prove it.

Roll on August 14th.

I'm in agreement, the point is was trying to dispel is that Galway somehow always capitulate to Kilkenny when I was pointing out that most teams have capitulated to Kilkenny at some time or another and if anything Galway have given Kilkenny their fill of it as much as Tipp have. Remember Galway wiped the floor with Kilkenny in the Leinster final in 2012 and also drew with them in the AI final that year and also made a game of the replay.

Here's hoping for another epic in the semi-final, but it would be hard pushed to be better than last years game.

Derek McGrath making the right sounds for a fortnights time, but will he set the Waterford lads up to go and win the game or to avoid a big defeat like last year?

Duine Eile

Quote from: Canalman on July 25, 2016, 10:43:07 AM
Hurling championship terrible this year so far. Going from bad to worse. Hopefully it improves.

Who is this "David" Burke everyone talking about last night. Very disrespectful of alot of people not to be able to get his name right. Imo of course.

David Burke, Galway captain from St. Thomas club, number 8 yesterday? Are you getting him mixed up with Daithí Burke who was MOTM and had no 6 on his back?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Duine Eile on July 25, 2016, 12:05:22 PM
Hurling championship terrible this year so far. Going from bad to worse. Hopefully it improves.

Who is this "David" Burke everyone talking about last night. Very disrespectful of alot of people not to be able to get his name right. Imo of course.

David Burke, Galway captain from St. Thomas club, number 8 yesterday? Are you getting him mixed up with Daithí Burke who was MOTM and had no 6 on his back?

Zing!

seafoid

If Galway have FB and midfield sorted ou and can last the 70 minutes it could get very interesting.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Canalman

Indeed I did. Serves me right for half watching the game.

Cyber  dunces hat being worn as we speak. .

ashman

Quote from: johnneycool on July 25, 2016, 09:42:17 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 25, 2016, 09:31:01 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 25, 2016, 07:25:50 AM
Galway v Tipp should be a cracking match.
Amazing to think Tipp have only beaten Cody once.

Yes but actually do it when it matters, something Galway will have to do should they beat Tipp

Yip,
  When Cody makes one of his biggest mistakes in starting Shefflin when it was obvious he wasn't fit and the psychological boost that came with it for Tipp, but still had to be good enough to get over the line in all fairness. Kilkenny has a poor day both sides of the white line.
Don't forget the shambolic Tipp display two years later with Kilkenny giving them an 18 point walloping and that was after Tipp led at half time.
Kilkenny hammering teams in the second half isn't just confined to Galway.

To be fair to Tipp they brought Kk to the brink in 2009 and the goal the changed the game came from a dodgy free .  They missed a fair few goal chances that day too . 

Premier Emperor

Quote from: ashman on July 25, 2016, 12:15:04 PM

Yes but actually do it when it matters, something Galway will have to do should they beat Tipp

Yip,
  When Cody makes one of his biggest mistakes in starting Shefflin when it was obvious he wasn't fit and the psychological boost that came with it for Tipp, but still had to be good enough to get over the line in all fairness. Kilkenny has a poor day both sides of the white line.
Don't forget the shambolic Tipp display two years later with Kilkenny giving them an 18 point walloping and that was after Tipp led at half time.

To be fair to Tipp they brought Kk to the brink in 2009 and the goal the changed the game came from a dodgy free . 
Nothing dodgy about the free as there was a foul. The problem was the loony referee deciding it was a penalty, even though the incident took place nowhere near the large square...

seafoid

the 2 of them are fine hurlers.
Galway are not having the usual post all ireland final season
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnneycool

Quote from: seafoid on July 25, 2016, 12:09:42 PM
If Galway have FB and midfield sorted ou and can last the 70 minutes it could get very interesting.

Funnily enough Jim Kilty has been passing comment on this the last number of weeks and reckons Galways S&C isn't geared up towards burst of high intensity hurling like Kilkenny;

(https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=797056403761907&id=100003726653474)

"Galway Hurling Team deserves Reward".
My father was from Wexford and growing up in Meath, I always followed the Wexford hurling from 1954 onwards as a child. I still wish them success this year and every year since 1954. However in 2001 I ended up coaching Tipperary with Nicky Englsh in 2001 for 3 years. And so I have added Tipp to my "team" camp.

However when I see the Galway team play I pray for success for them in September some day soon. They deserve it. They bring an intensity and a flair to the game that one has to admire. And yet they have failed to get over the line every year since 1988. The have failed to last the game.

I read how they are mentally weak in today's Indo. I dont think they are. I think they must be very mentally strong to keep coming back and trying again and again to a win Liam Mac..

In fact looking at this Galway team - started by Anthony C - has some of the most skilful hurlers around. Some real nice lads who can face up to the toughest challenge on the playing field. They are not failures. They dont give-in. We all must admire them.

The problem I see has nothing to do with their wonderful hurling skills nor their menal capacity or their management per se. I just think they train poorly and that is not the fault of their excellent group of players.

Hurling is a game of skill played at a tremendous pace and intensity and if a team can't keep the intensity up, the opponemts in black and amber will crucify you.

Running repeat 200m, 300m or 400m are NO HELP WHATSOEVER to a hurler. The pace of such reps is so slow that when the game starts and the speed is high, energys drains from the limbs of people or team who train at such a slow pace. For example running repeat 200ms in 35 seconds is fast for many a 5Km 10Km runner and for the team who train like that it works out at 3.5 seconds for a flying 20m. But in the first half of a hurling game one is covering the same 20m under 2.5 seconds (remember it is a flying 20m). So the team who is used to training at 3.5 second pace just die from a lack of enegry in the past 15 to 20 minutes.

Understanding the physical demands of the game of hurling is a must for all management teams. Damien Young has produced a few studies on the motion analysis of the game and should be read by one and all who love hurling and especially by those who want to coach physical firness for hurling.

The ability to repeat bursts of speed (with and without the ball) from 5m to 30m at close to maximum effort is the bread and butter of a hurling training prgramme. Young showed that in club hurling player can make between 45 and 80 such bursts in a game. But the only way to repeat or pracice or train this is to play small-sided hurling games of intensity or to ensure player make up to 80 bursts in training. Now small sided game in hurling can be a "pain". Because hand-passing the ball becomes the style of play and for one I hate this type of training. However Young has some up with a solution here as well. He suggests a square of 2v2 at one end of a 40 or 50m strip with another 2v2 at the other end. In this way striking long can be part of the practice. Interesting!

I have come up with the idea of two players in two 5m x 5m squares about 30 to 50m apart sprinting to touch a cone at corner 1 and 3 for instance, then jab picking the ball and playing it long to a team-mate who is doing the same thing. This is repeated 5 or 6 time before taking a break for 30 to 60 seconds. The whole aspect is that this has to be performed at breath-taking pace and repeated and repeated. How the hell would doing a 200m run help you at all!

So let us not blame the surberb hurlers from the West. Let us just hope that some day they are prepared properly for the "battle".

AZOffaly

Damien Young is excellent

gallsman

Quote from: Premier Emperor on July 25, 2016, 12:51:54 PM

Yip,

To be fair to Tipp they brought Kk to the brink in 2009 and the goal the changed the game came from a dodgy free . 
Nothing dodgy about the free as there was a foul. The problem was the loony referee deciding it was a penalty, even though the incident took place nowhere near the large square...

7 years later and still going over this nonsense. Callanan was given a free in that match for shouldering someone in the chest ffs.

ashman

Galls man

In GAA 7 years is a small enough time to hold a grudge .  I could list a great many 30 plus and I am early forties !!! ; by 60 I hope to have at least a 50 year grudge .  Limerick folk never forget .

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: gallsman on July 25, 2016, 03:07:39 PM
Quote from: Premier Emperor on July 25, 2016, 12:51:54 PM

Yip,

Tipp where shafted that day
The ref was letting everything go then and a nothing penalty
Up to then tipp where looking good and gave Kilkenny a boost
Bad decision but up to that he was doing OK
Ruined the game

7 years later and still going over this nonsense. Callanan was given a free in that match for shouldering someone in the chest ffs.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 25, 2016, 02:14:25 PM
Damien Young is excellent
I read the main findings of Damien Young's research to our adult club hurlers and officials last year and some people laughed at me!
and to think that you'd actually have the smarts to train the way the game has gone!

One of them made the comment the other evening at training that hurling has changed so much in just 10 years...
Then why do so many teams train the same way they did ten years ago!! Including our club, btw

gallsman

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on July 26, 2016, 04:52:46 PMTipp where shafted that day
The ref was letting everything go then and a nothing penalty
Up to then tipp where looking good and gave Kilkenny a boost
Bad decision but up to that he was doing OK
Ruined the game

I think this bit was your text. Shafted my absolute hole. I vividly remember the thread on here about it and the whinging from the Tipp lads was unbearable.

Anyway, de qualifiers. They've been shite this year in what has generally been a shite championship. Can't see either Galway or Waterford doing much in the semis and fancy Waterford to walk away with a 15+ point spanking.