Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

What happened to the Kerry Donegal thread?

the last thing being discussed was the 'square ball' thrown ball into the net by McHugh?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 23, 2019, 05:34:54 PM

the last thing being discussed was the 'square ball' thrown ball into the net by McHugh?

I asked that myself. Can't figure out why it's gone  :o

Ball Hopper

Quote from: BennyCake on July 23, 2019, 05:42:04 PM

The poster that opened the thread deleted it?  Can't remember who that was though.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Ball Hopper on July 23, 2019, 06:55:47 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 23, 2019, 05:42:04 PM

The poster that opened the thread deleted it?  Can't remember who that was though.
kerryforsam19 I believe and he deleted a number of threads already.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

twohands!!!

Quote from: seafoid on July 23, 2019, 10:32:36 AM
The most important thing at this stage is the trend in attendance figures

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gate-receipts-and-attendances-for-football-championship-slid-alarmingly-in-2018-despite-the-introduction-of-the-super-8s-37788169.html

"Attendances figures for the All-Ireland football championship dropped by nearly a fifth last year resulting in a twenty three percent reduction in gate receipts, even though there were six more games played.Overall, the average attendances figures at the 39 games in the All-Ireland series – which includes the qualifiers, the Super 8s and the All-Ireland semi-final and final – was 13,225.
In 2017 when there were 33 games played in the football series the average attendance was 19,049."

If this continues change is more likely 
You can't fool all of the culchies all of the time

The quarter-finals in 2017 were 5 games (due to the Mayo-Roscommon replay)and the total attendance was 186,900 - average attendance of 37,380

The quarter-finals in 2018 was 12 games and the total attendance was 217,824 - average attendance of 18,152

So far this year in the 8 games the attendance has been 176,541 - average attendance of 29,423

Only need 41,283 in the final ground of games to match last year's quarter-finals number.
Hard not to see that being beaten.

Rossfan

There will be 1,000 at most in Páirc Uí Rinn, 16k in Omagh, 10 or 12k on the green grassy slopes and 29k in McHale.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

irish345

Quote from: giveballaghback on July 22, 2019, 11:11:45 PM
The way to avoid a dead rubber in the last game is for the winners of round 1 to play each other in round 2 and the same for the losers. If there is a draw in round one then there can be no dead rubber.
Anyway while the dubs are at the level they are at the competition is a joke.
If I had a preference it would be back to the old straight knockout system and no back door. Nothing like Russian roulette to sharpen the mind. Currently Mayo are still in it having lost 2 games, the whole thing is farcical and signs on it people are voting with their feet.
Change is needed and quick.

That would be a good idea and probably the best solution if there going to continue with super 8 group stage you can still get half dead rubbers tho with a team already qualified and might play a weak team but they might come 2nd in group if they get beat but a lot of the time it does not matter if you come 1st or 2nd in group

TheGreatest

Quote from: Tubberman on July 23, 2019, 10:29:34 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on July 23, 2019, 09:54:08 AM
Quote from: Hound on July 23, 2019, 09:47:46 AM
According to Sean Moran in the Times, it looks certain that the Croke Park Round will be replaced by the Neutral Round for 2020.

Hopefully someone has the cop on to ensure they also charge the format so two winners from S8 Round 1 play each other in S8 Round 2, to avoid the nonsense we have with Dublin, Tyrone, Cork, Ros

Hopefully, or provincial winners at home the last game, first game away etc.

That would put provincial winners at an immediate disadvantage,  they could be out before they play their home game.

I suppose thats true, i am thinking with my Dublin hat on.

blanketattack

There's a major disadvantage to playing the weakest team at home as you have 2 tough opponents in neutral and away fixtures.

StephenC

Quote from: blanketattack on July 24, 2019, 11:39:46 AM
There's a major disadvantage to playing the weakest team at home as you have 2 tough opponents in neutral and away fixtures.

Yeah, as we are experiencing right now.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Rossfan on July 23, 2019, 07:51:21 PM
There will be 1,000 at most in Páirc Uí Rinn, 16k in Omagh, 10 or 12k on the green grassy slopes and 29k in McHale.

You think only 999 will travel from Ros?  ;)

Blowitupref

The fixture arrangement for the fantastic four

Saturday August 10th 5pm

Group 2 winner v Group 1 runner up

Sunday August 11th 3:30 pm

Group 1 winner v Group 2 runner up
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

MayoBuck

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 25, 2019, 03:23:06 PM
The fixture arrangement for the fantastic four

Saturday August 10th 5pm

Group 2 winner v Group 1 runner up

Sunday August 11th 3:30 pm

Group 1 winner v Group 2 runner up

So the reward for the winner of Tyrone v Dublin is a 6 day turnaround to a semi-final?

Jayop

Honestly the loser of the Tyrone game is the winner. 7 day turnaround instead of a 6 day.