Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hectic

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 24, 2018, 09:58:42 AM
Quote from: ciaran1988 on September 24, 2018, 09:17:23 AM
Any reason why the St Endas game was moved to Wednesday and now to Friday evening?

Soccer I heard.  ;)

Surely not.

Spike

It was a very different Cargin team on the pitch yesterday since the last time I saw them.  Hard to know were they very good or Lamhs very bad.  Cargin looked the better outfit but conceded a comical goal just after the break t give LD hope. Paddy C has still got the feet and Ryan M a handful but Cargin should have had that game done and dusted at half time. 

Quote from: country bumpkin on September 23, 2018, 10:03:52 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on September 23, 2018, 08:46:54 PM
I couldn't work out why cargin were clear favorites v champs LD and tonight's result showed there's not much between the teams. R LD not getting credit for winning it last year or is Damien Cassidy seen as a class manager....

Sure will be easy money in the replay....if the Lamhs can find somebody other than PC to score....he had 2-01 from play..five pointed frees and the rest of the team shared 0-01
Cargin had ten from play.....2 from frees (40 and 50 yards) and 1 '45'.
Cargin, over the 60 MNS plus had just those two frees awarded over the half way line......superb LD rear guard actions 8)

otbar

LD made great comeback, ok a soft first goal but second was well finished by Paddy C.  They miss conor murray hugely.  Mick mccann kept that cargin team in the game second half - crozier very solid.   Any update on replay venue?

Last Man

Quote from: Hectic on September 24, 2018, 10:40:55 AM
Quote from: paddyjohn on September 24, 2018, 09:58:42 AM
Any reason why the St Endas game was moved to Wednesday and now to Friday evening?

Soccer I heard.  ;)

Surely not.
Gerard Crosseys Mother died, funeral tomorrow.

breakingball

Due to the death of a players mother.

paddyjohn

bogieman

Quote from: bannside on September 23, 2018, 08:56:43 PM
On reflection I could easily add Kevin Niblock and Ciaran Close to that group too. Quite frankly from a county perspective I'd have much preferred to see a dozen stand out performances from 24 year olds.

IMO Mick and Magill were standout today and Sean Kelly and Mickey Pollock yesterday. Apologies I didn't get to the two other QF's.

To be fair I liked Eoin Mc Keown and Eoghan Mc Cabe too, and Pearse Fitzsimons is definitely county standard too if he can be enticed into the fold. Creggans midfielder Conor Mc Cann should be getting a phone call too.

So, if the best players on show at the weekend average 34, then it figures that antrim should have been competing for Ulster and also clubs for all-irelands in the past 5-10 years.  8)

Ps. What's it going to be like in 5-10 years time, both in county and club.
The cracks have been appearing in minor and u21 grades for the past few years, and their development seems more political than sport orientated
This is not Irish dancing. -RH

Spike

Quote from: bogieman on September 24, 2018, 07:17:25 PM
Quote from: bannside on September 23, 2018, 08:56:43 PM
On reflection I could easily add Kevin Niblock and Ciaran Close to that group too. Quite frankly from a county perspective I'd have much preferred to see a dozen stand out performances from 24 year olds.

IMO Mick and Magill were standout today and Sean Kelly and Mickey Pollock yesterday. Apologies I didn't get to the two other QF's.

To be fair I liked Eoin Mc Keown and Eoghan Mc Cabe too, and Pearse Fitzsimons is definitely county standard too if he can be enticed into the fold. Creggans midfielder Conor Mc Cann should be getting a phone call too.

So, if the best players on show at the weekend average 34, then it figures that antrim should have been competing for Ulster and also clubs for all-irelands in the past 5-10 years.  8)

Ps. What's it going to be like in 5-10 years time, both in county and club.
The cracks have been appearing in minor and u21 grades for the past few years, and their development seems more political than sport orientated

Well they did reach an ulster final within that time frame. Goodness knows where they could have gone without Frank D's working holiday

The Gs Man

Anyone know who won the U14 SA Football League final between St.Paul's and Sarsfields recently?
Keep 'er lit

country bumpkin

Latest championship betting from "Toals"

9/4 St Gall's
11/4 Creggan
3/1 Cargin
4/1 St John's
8/1 Lamh Dhearg

bannside

As predicted this year is the widest open for many years. All 5 teams left still harbour notions of outright glory. Long time since we had that scenario. Can only be good for Antrim football.

Spike

Quote from: bannside on September 25, 2018, 06:31:27 PM
As predicted this year is the widest open for many years. All 5 teams left still harbour notions of outright glory. Long time since we had that scenario. Can only be good for Antrim football.

Its more of an indictment of how far St Galls and Cargin have fell in recent years to the levels of LD, Creggan and St Johns. Football quality is worse make no mistake,  punctuated by the odd glimpse of class from the over 30s you mentioned in a previous post BS.

bannside

There's no doubt about that Spike. The St Galls team of the noughties ( and Cargin usually werent too far off them to be fair) would win this year's championship at a hack canter. Then compete at higher levels with the best in the land. You have to appreciate class when you see it....problem now is....how long will it be until we see their likes again!

The Gs Man

The current U12 to Minor age group at Aghagallon isn't too bad.....  8)

This years U12 Div 1 SW Winners, U14 Div 1 SW Winners, U16 Shield Winners, Minor Div 1 Winners and quite a few MacRory and Hogans threw in for good measure this year.

Should be the makings of a good senior team from 2020 onwards.......  :P
Keep 'er lit

Spike

Quote from: bannside on September 26, 2018, 08:53:07 AM
There's no doubt about that Spike. The St Galls team of the noughties ( and Cargin usually werent too far off them to be fair) would win this year's championship at a hack canter. Then compete at higher levels with the best in the land. You have to appreciate class when you see it....problem now is....how long will it be until we see their likes again!

Like everything in life BS, we don't appreciate it until its gone.