FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

straightred

Watched it live. Actually thought that the dutch keeper was way off his line for the one he saved but didnt think much of it. Then the ref goes and sends our lad off for being LESS off his line than the dutch lad who went unpunished. Thats the hardest part to take.

If the rule is a yellow and off then fair enough (even though the first yellow was a joke as well) but to ignore the same offence for the dutch and punish us is unforgivable. He needs to be thrown out of the tournament tomorrow.

David McKeown

I assume it's the way he moves his feet forward. Hard to describe but in real time I thought he came much further forward than he did. No real problem with the decision I have to say. The Dutch save though should never have stood and it would have been interesting what happened from there.

The laws on penalty shoot outs are confusing enough though. There was an incident in a league I used to run a few years ago where in a penalty shoot out a keeper got a hand to the ball it went away from goal but with considerable back spin. Bounced and went over the line. On the advice of a more experienced linesman the referee disallowed the goal. As it was u11 or u12 and a semi final the loosing team appealed to us. We, not knowing the rule asked the NIBFA who in turn asked the IFA for clarification. The IFA put us in touch with the English FA and Howard Webb in particular who said the penalty was over as soon as the momentum of the ball was away from goal and that it was correct that no goal was awarded in our situation. When we informed the loosing club of this they contacted the FAI and got the exact opposite response. We ended up arranging a replay after the winning team offered.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Billys Boots

Looking at the replay there, the keeper's left foot was still on the line when the penalty was struck, so it shouldn't have been retaken, much less all the other stuff.  I think the first principle for referees (correct me if I'm wrong), is that they need to be certain that a transgression has occurred to call a 'foul', which couldn't have happened there.  End of refs career, I'd have thought.  And very bad luck for Ireland U17s. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Itchy

Have to say that was one of the most stupid calls from a ref I have ever seen, given it is mm in the replay and screen grabs, how could a ref make the call in real time. Absolutely mind boggling stupid. Young lad did well not to box him in the jaw.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bogball88

general

Shite performance - albeit with a skeleton squad. France never got out of 1st gear really - i'm sure they are disappointed today.

Highlight of the night was Declan Rice attempting to belt out Amhrán na bhFiann. Keep your eye on him at the USA friendly.

Ireland are so poor and little top players coming through from the top leagues. MON appears to be happy to sit back and hold teams and try to score the odd goal on the break.

Boycey

Final appearance tonight for John O'Shea, he was a goodun...

Itchy

Not perfect but great to see Ireland pass the ball around. Rice and o dowda are nice footballers.

laoislad

Didn't see it. When was the last time a League of Ireland player scored for Ireland?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on June 02, 2018, 10:13:31 PM
Didn't see it. When was the last time a League of Ireland player scored for Ireland?
Shamrock Rovers' Ray Treacy in 1978 according to Twitter.

BennyCake

What was the deal with the rainbow coloured numbers on the shirts? Has George or Bungle passed away?

Gabriel_Hurl

Pride month Benny - but you knew that anyways  ::)

JPGJOHNNYG

If i was lenihan i would be raging. The guy stole his goal. It reminded me of David Nugent when like a twat he poked in jermain defoes effort as it was about to cross the line. Its also risky because nani did something similar to Ronaldo a few years back. Ronaldo chips the keeper for what would be a sublime goal only for nani to steal it and then for the goal to be disallowed because nani was offside

Itchy

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on June 03, 2018, 11:05:19 AM
If i was lenihan i would be raging. The guy stole his goal. It reminded me of David Nugent when like a twat he poked in jermain defoes effort as it was about to cross the line. Its also risky because nani did something similar to Ronaldo a few years back. Ronaldo chips the keeper for what would be a sublime goal only for nani to steal it and then for the goal to be disallowed because nani was offside

Think that's very harsh. Ball was coming at him quickly, instinct took over. Also he may not be fully aware of where he was standing relative to the goals. I thought he played quite well too for a bit making a big step up. It was great to see arter, Rice, o dowda trying some passes and flair in the last 15 mins instead of hoofing it. More chances came from that than in the 1st half where the bombed ball at walters