Car Insurance!!!!!

Started by balladmaker, January 21, 2010, 07:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: screenexile on February 01, 2017, 11:23:20 PM
Lads never ever ever take the price they give you for renewal. I know for a fact that they pump out the best deal for them with all the optional extras on it and expect people to come back for a better deal.

If you're up North get on moneysupermarket and comparethemarket as well as giving Axaditrct a shout.

I'm with Axaditrct and got a renewal premium through but ran my details through their system for a quote and it was £50 cheaper so they honoured it!

I would never take the renewal price. I think price comparison sites are a load of sh**e as well. Nothing beats phoning around a few. It's a bit of a pain but well worth it. But there is not much you can do about it when they are all telling you prices have gone up across the board due to increases in government taxes. When the first one told me that I thought it was bull but the rest all came out with the same line. Takes very little for them to need an excuse to hike prices. It's a bit like the big oil companies. The slightest wee issue anywhere in the world is an excuse to hike up the price. They are all quick to put prices up but none are in a hurry to take them down.

As for loyalty I'd have none to an insurance company, that's for sure. They show very little loyalty to their customers. I think loyalty is a noble sentiment from the past and is completely lost these days especially when it comes to large companies.

Hardy

I got a quote from Post Insurance for about €500 - about €150 more than last year. Phoned around and got similar quotes, but then 123.ie came in at €370-odd, and I talked them down to €340. Part of the deal was a second-car discount - not sure how much was attributable to this. Aviva do a deal for second car in the family as well. Don't know about others.

illdecide

£440 was my renewal quote from Hughes Insurance, just of the phone there from Abbey and their quote is £315...Gangsters.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

giveherlong

Was on the phone getting renewal quote and added wife on as named driver and it reduced the price by about £30

lurganblue

Quote from: illdecide on February 09, 2017, 12:22:57 PM
£440 was my renewal quote from Hughes Insurance, just of the phone there from Abbey and their quote is £315...Gangsters.

Hughes are brutal. wont be back near them.  A few years ago I changed my car mid way through the term and the increase they slapped on was ridiculous. I'll never be back with them even if theyre the lowest quote.

Rois

Quote from: giveherlong on February 09, 2017, 12:39:42 PM
Was on the phone getting renewal quote and added wife on as named driver and it reduced the price by about £30
Same here, other way around - you're less of an insurance risk if you are married. 

Just make sure there are no add-on products that you don't want in your quote - sometimes the brokers will put those in without you knowing, like legal cover, key cover, breakdown etc.  Insist on the quote being for insurance only.  And try to avoid the monthly payment option to bring it in cheaper.

The brokers also probably have wiggle room on admin fees that they apply so ask about those and get at least a reduction.  They're already getting commission. 

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rois on February 09, 2017, 12:53:17 PM
Same here, other way around - you're less of an insurance risk if you are married. 

Just make sure there are no add-on products that you don't want in your quote - sometimes the brokers will put those in without you knowing, like legal cover, key cover, breakdown etc.  Insist on the quote being for insurance only.  And try to avoid the monthly payment option to bring it in cheaper.

The brokers also probably have wiggle room on admin fees that they apply so ask about those and get at least a reduction.  They're already getting commission.
Key cover can be worth having if it's cheap enough now as some of the electronic keys are hundreds of quid to replace.

Take Your Points

For a young person (don't know the age range) adds two older drivers (preferably over 50) to the insurance then there will be a considerable drop in the price.

Postcode is a major factor in the cost of the insurance. 

NAG1

Quote from: Take Your Points on February 09, 2017, 01:35:45 PM
For a young person (don't know the age range) adds two older drivers (preferably over 50) to the insurance then there will be a considerable drop in the price.

Postcode is a major factor in the cost of the insurance.

As far as I can tell it is up there with the age/ experience of the driver as the main criteria.

Avondhu star

Quote from: johnneycool on February 02, 2017, 12:54:32 PM
Quote from: Hardy on February 02, 2017, 12:51:57 PM
Where does the concept of "loyalty" to a commercial organisation come from?

There should be none as all they want is the money out of your pocket.

On changing insurance companies, I find getting No Claims Bonus certs out of previous insurers a real pain in the hole.
If you are with a proper insurance company they are obliged by law to supply you with your cert of no claims. You will then have time to seek alternative quotes.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

illdecide

Quote from: lurganblue on February 09, 2017, 12:41:23 PM
Quote from: illdecide on February 09, 2017, 12:22:57 PM

Hughes are brutal. wont be back near them.  A few years ago I changed my car mid way through the term and the increase they slapped on was ridiculous. I'll never be back with them even if theyre the lowest quote.

Ha ha just phoned Hughes back to tell them i'd got it cheaper elsewhere and they brought it down to £330 which is £15 dearer than Abbey but has all the extras on it...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

screenexile

Quote from: Rois on February 09, 2017, 12:53:17 PM

That's an understatement there Rois. . . these fees are pure profit! Insurance companies get money through commission mainly but the add ons like breakdown & Legal/Key Cover/Admin are where the real money is made.

We used to get 50p for each one of those we sold or £3 if we sold the lot!!

armaghniac

Quote from: screenexile on February 09, 2017, 02:31:45 PM
That's an understatement there Rois. . . these fees are pure profit! Insurance companies get money through commission mainly but the add ons like breakdown & Legal/Key Cover/Admin are where the real money is made.

Breakdown is half the price of the AA, I think it is reasonable value.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

stiffler

what companies in the north are currently most competitive for insurance ?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Rois

The three biggies are Autoline, Hughes and Abbey, but they are brokers, so you could also try Axa Direct.